Professional Web Applications Themes

Floppy Install over ppp - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi, I have a PII 233 MHz system with a 3GB HD, a floppy drive, a malfunctioning 24x CD-ROM, a dial-up modem, and a sound card/speakers and printer. I want to install a distribution of Linux if it is possible, and I notice that many allow you to use boot floppies if the CD isn't working for boot or over networks. However, I don't have a network card interface, and my CD-ROM won't read disks at all (it won't recognize them in the drive in any operating system, even Windows). I currently run Windows 95, which I plan to replace ...

  1. #1

    Default Floppy Install over ppp

    Hi, I have a PII 233 MHz system with a 3GB HD, a floppy drive, a
    malfunctioning 24x CD-ROM, a dial-up modem, and a sound card/speakers and
    printer. I want to install a distribution of Linux if it is possible, and
    I notice that many allow you to use boot floppies if the CD isn't working
    for boot or over networks. However, I don't have a network card interface,
    and my CD-ROM won't read disks at all (it won't recognize them in the drive
    in any operating system, even Windows).

    I currently run Windows 95, which I plan to replace with Linux, hopefully
    to run a server and/or a system with a graphical interface. Are there any
    distributions with boot disks that allow installation over PPP? My modem
    is a generic modem, and runs on COM2 in windows. Any assistance would be
    greatly appericiated.

    mrc91 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Floppy Install over ppp

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 22:26:57 -0000, mrc91 <ca> wrote:

    Do you have any idea how long it takes to download even a minimal install
    of the typical distro over a ppp dialup connection? !!!!

    But if you were willing to take the time, you could download the files
    to a directory in Windoze and install from there, although I've never
    done it.

    Errrr...That's "folder " in Windoze, not "directory".

    You could get tomsrtbt (google) which can be built under Windoze.
    It's a complete distro on a floppy (1.72M on the usual 3.5" disk,
    which Windoze handles) that loads as a ramdisk (in RAM only) that
    has every utility needed to do what you want.

    I'd highly recommend getting it, and using it and the first chapters
    of http://rute.sourceforge.net to learn the basics of Linux before
    you tackle a real install. Just make sure your BIOS is set to boot
    from the floppy drive before the hard drive, which is standard.

    The fact that Windoze is on the hdd will make no difference, and
    tomsrtbt will vanish when you power down. You will probably need
    to re-install Windoze, leaving at least 500MB for Linux, and can
    do your partitioning, etc., with tomsrtbt, then boot Linux from
    a flopply, and Windoze will not even know it is there.

    HTH

    AC

    Alan Guest

  3. #3

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 22:26:57 -0000, "mrc91" <ca> wrote:

    ..... minimalist distro have their place, but if you're expecting
    to gain anything significant, i dont recommend them. and you
    having a dial up, it'll take eons to download a decent distro.

    you might get a buddy or someone at work or school to download
    or go to a second-hand PC store and find a used set
    ..
    The world is coming to an end ... SAVE YOUR BUFFERS!!!
    mjt Guest

  4. #4

    mrc91 wrote:

    If your dialup is disconnected then you would have to start all
    over again. It use to take me almost 5 days runing 24/7 to
    download one 700MB ISO. Unless your connection is rock solid 24/7
    I wouldn't even attempt it over a dialup connection.

    But best of luck if you try it.
    --
    Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/

  5. #5

    ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.linux.]
    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 00:32:21 GMT, mjt
    <com> wrote:

    > .... minimalist distro have their place, but if you're expecting
    > to gain anything significant, i dont recommend them. and you
    > having a dial up, it'll take eons to download a decent distro.
    >
    > you might get a buddy or someone at work or school to download
    > or go to a second-hand PC store and find a used set
    > .[/ref]

    I would suggest you go to a used PC store and get a working CD drive (or
    buy a new one, they're not that expensive!), and get a set of CDs from
    Cheapbytes or Edmunds-Enterprises.com or a friend.

    --
    You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a clipboard.
    Bill Guest

  6. #6

    > If your dialup is disconnected then you would have to start all
    > over again. It use to take me almost 5 days runing 24/7 to
    > download one 700MB ISO. Unless your connection is rock solid 24/7
    > I wouldn't even attempt it over a dialup connection.
    >
    > But best of luck if you try it.[/ref]

    Use a download manager with resume capabilities and go for it. I am
    downloading Debian as I type with GetRight, all 20 floppies of the base
    install. With a slow line it takes about 4-5 hours. Start it and go to bed.
    Frank Guest

  7. #7

    Frank wrote:

    I was talking about doing an install over a dial-up connection.
    Using an FTP client that can resume is the only way to download
    on a dial-up account. On a cable connection I can download a
    complete distro in about 2 to 3 hours depending on how many ISO's
    there are.

    --
    Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/
    Slackware 9.1.0 Kernel 2.4.22 SMP i686 (GCC) 3.3.2
    Uptime: 2 days, 5:21, 2 users, load average: 1.10, 1.21, 1.00
    David Guest

  8. #8

    ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.linux.]
    On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 06:11:07 GMT, Frank
    <com> wrote:

    Once you get the base system installed, Debian's apt-get (or aptitude)
    can resume downloads.