Professional Web Applications Themes

Floppy nonsense - Mac Applications & Software

In article <anon-D65178.11432224062003nnrp06.earthlink.net>, RubyTuesday <anonmungedaddress.com> wrote: > In article <20030623190636.23689.00001330mb-m27.aol.com>, > [email]jwolf6589aol.comn[/email]ospam (JWolf6589) wrote: > > > << This is not a general truth. My wife worked for the software development > > arm of one of the largest (and most broadly adopted) educational > > publishers in the world. They did a great deal of research on the > > capabilities and needs of their market. Schools, in fact, aren't > > typically interested in or concerned about floppies. Now consider that > > schools are traditionally on the trailing edge of technology adoption > > and upgrade cycles. ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Floppy nonsense

    In article <anon-D65178.11432224062003nnrp06.earthlink.net>,
    RubyTuesday <anonmungedaddress.com> wrote:
    > In article <20030623190636.23689.00001330mb-m27.aol.com>,
    > [email]jwolf6589aol.comn[/email]ospam (JWolf6589) wrote:
    >
    > > << This is not a general truth. My wife worked for the software development
    > > arm of one of the largest (and most broadly adopted) educational
    > > publishers in the world. They did a great deal of research on the
    > > capabilities and needs of their market. Schools, in fact, aren't
    > > typically interested in or concerned about floppies. Now consider that
    > > schools are traditionally on the trailing edge of technology adoption
    > > and upgrade cycles.
    > >
    > > G >>
    > >
    > >
    > > I question their research.
    >
    > I question yours. Please give more than
    >
    > 'One college I used to attend in the bay Area (no names). . .'
    >
    > and
    >
    > 'Another college I am involved with in some way. . .'
    >
    > so your so-called evidence can be verified.
    >
    > Ruby
    Don't bother. He knows what he's saying is wrong (because he's been told
    and presented with the evidence repeatedly over time) but can't accept
    that his demand isn't mainstream.

    You'll notice that aside from the simple fact of suggesting that his own
    anecdotal data is better than research conducted by a large
    organization, he _never_ (go ahead and search google) actually provides
    any data to support any of the claims he makes.

    G
    Gregory Weston Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Floppy nonsense

    << Schools I went to disabled floppy drives on their PCs. Doents were
    stored on the network. It was a licensing issue. >>

    I'd never store my private doents on a network. Think...

    You cannot easily disable a floppy disk drive on a PC with software. If you
    do, I can always boot into DOS and use it. But hence, if you have Windows
    2000/XP that makes it all the more difficult for me to access DOS. You cant
    even boot into DOS in the least!
    JWolf6589 Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Floppy nonsense

    << Don't bother. He knows what he's saying is wrong (because he's been told
    and presented with the evidence repeatedly over time) but can't accept
    that his demand isn't mainstream.

    You'll notice that aside from the simple fact of suggesting that his own
    anecdotal data is better than research conducted by a large
    organization, he _never_ (go ahead and search google) actually provides
    any data to support any of the claims he makes.

    G >>

    I'm glad to see that the floppy disk issue is bothering you so much. Until I
    see MOST new PC's shipping without floppy disk drives, I'll stay committed.
    JWolf6589 Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: Floppy nonsense

    JWolf6589 <jwolf6589aol.comnospam> wrote:
    > I know the cost is lower. But remember that some new Sony desktops
    > include a floppy, CD/DVD-R, Compact flash, and a sony memory stick drive
    > all built in.
    Yeah, so?

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Rosenberg Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: Floppy nonsense

    JWolf6589 wrote:
    > You cannot easily disable a floppy disk drive on a PC with software. If you
    > do, I can always boot into DOS and use it. But hence, if you have Windows
    > 2000/XP that makes it all the more difficult for me to access DOS. You cant
    > even boot into DOS in the least!
    They set the BIOS to always boot from the hard disc and password
    protected it. All of this is trivial, and can be done on any PC.

    Steven Fisher Guest

  6. #6

    Default USB flash drives made Floppies obsolete

    JWolf6589 wrote:
    > I'm glad to see that the floppy disk issue is bothering you so much. Until I
    > see MOST new PC's shipping without floppy disk drives, I'll stay committed.
    I quit using floppies (and put all my superdrives into storage)
    when USB flash drives became so inexpensive. They work cross-
    platform and they're only $50 or so for 128 MB. At some point
    even the windopes are gonna recognise this, too. But they're
    always 3 or 4 years behind the curve.
    George Williams Guest

  7. #7

    Default Re: USB flash drives made Floppies obsolete

    >I quit using floppies (and put all my superdrives into storage)
    >when USB flash drives became so inexpensive. They work cross-
    >platform and they're only $50 or so for 128 MB.
    Yep, I have a 128MB USB flash drive in my pocket as I type this. It cost me $30
    plus tax, and I use it to shuttle files around between my PCs and my Macs at
    home and in the office. I stopped carrying Zip disks around with me when I got
    it.

    I bought a B&W G3 when they first came out, and told myself I'd get a USB
    floppy for it as soon as a situation came up where I needed one. Here we are,
    years later, and I still don't have a floppy drive for it. :)

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: [url]http://www.villaintees.com[/url]
    Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
    [url]http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html[/url]

    Tacit Guest

  8. #8

    Default Re: Floppy nonsense

    << I know the cost is lower. But remember that some new Sony desktops include
    a floppy, CD/DVD-R, Compact flash, and a sony memory stick drive all built in.
    >>
    Um, pardon me for asking, but what in the world does this have to do with what
    Mac buyers want?

    Today is my first day in the Mac newsgroups. I've only read a couple hundred
    posts so far, but I have to say that you are by far and away the most
    nonsensical person I've come across. Not a single post of yours makes any
    logical sense, and I haven't seen anyone else who even comes close to you. I
    mean, I've sometimes read the UFO newsgroups just for amusement, and those
    folks make more sense than you do.

    I have one question for you, though. Does your family own a floppy disk drive
    plant? That's the only thing I can think of that would come even close to
    explaining your insane ideas.

    - Sue Rodgers
    Soorod Guest

  9. #9

    Default Re: Floppy nonsense

    << Um, pardon me for asking, but what in the world does this have to do with
    what
    Mac buyers want? >>


    Minority view points are always treated as such. My viewpoints are a minority,
    but does this make every minority viewpoint wrong?

    This is called "group think". Anyone who thinks outside of the group think, is
    a minority viewpoint.
    JWolf6589 Guest

  10. #10

    Default Re: Floppy nonsense

    In article <20030625170425.07670.00001484mb-m07.aol.com>, JWolf6589
    <jwolf6589aol.comnospam> wrote:
    > << Um, pardon me for asking, but what in the world does this have to do with
    > what Mac buyers want? >>
    >
    >
    > Minority view points are always treated as such. My viewpoints are a
    > minority, but does this make every minority viewpoint wrong?
    >
    > This is called "group think". Anyone who thinks outside of the group think,
    > is a minority viewpoint.
    Your viewpoints being a minority are not what people are griping about
    JWolf.

    If Apple had somehow made the machines incapable of supporting an
    affordable floppy drive option, you would have a foundation for your
    argument. But, to suggest that every Mac be equipped to include a
    peripheral that only a small (and shrinking) minority needs, that takes
    up appreciable space within the case, and increments the cost
    noticeably for the majority who do not want it is illogical, or
    incredibly self-centered.

    There is a low-cost option for those who want a floppy -- USB floppies.
    I bought a TriMedia reader a couple years ago, thinking that I would
    find the floppy drive useful. Other than trying it out when I first got
    it to make sure it worked, I haven't used the floppy drive (but the
    memory card reader functionality is handy). In fact, I would be almost
    tempted to suggest that a media-reader port (Compact Flash, MMC/SD,
    SmartMedia, and Memory Stick) would be at least as useful in this day
    and age -- but it still isn't something that should be standard
    equipment!

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  11. #11

    Default Re: USB flash drives made Floppies obsolete

    In article <3EF9E336.C1BB7AD0mac.com>,
    George Williams <nyar1ath0tepmac.com> wrote:
    > JWolf6589 wrote:
    >
    > > I'm glad to see that the floppy disk issue is bothering you so much. Until
    > > I
    > > see MOST new PC's shipping without floppy disk drives, I'll stay committed.
    >
    > I quit using floppies (and put all my superdrives into storage)
    > when USB flash drives became so inexpensive. They work cross-
    > platform and they're only $50 or so for 128 MB. At some point
    > even the windopes are gonna recognise this, too. But they're
    > always 3 or 4 years behind the curve.
    Unless the PC is on Windows NT :-(
    No USB ...

    Marc

    --
    Marc Heusser - Zurich, Switzerland
    Coaching - Consulting - Counselling - Psychotherapy
    [url]http://www.heusser.com[/url]
    remove the obvious CHEERS and MERCIAL... from the reply address
    to reply via e-mail
    Marc Heusser Guest

  12. #12

    Default Re: Floppy nonsense

    << Minority view points are always treated as such. My viewpoints are a
    minority, but does this make every minority viewpoint wrong?

    This is called "group think". Anyone who thinks outside of the group think, is
    a minority viewpoint. >>

    See, there you go again! Your response makes absolutely no sense. It's as if
    you say whatever comes to mind whether or not it has anything to do with the
    post you're replying to. Here, I started by asking you what does what Sony
    sell have to do with what Mac users want? How does talking about minority
    viewpoints answer my question? It doesn't.

    Since my earlier post, I did a little Google searching to catch up on your
    history here. In only about 20 minutes, I found at least a dozen times you
    were asked why you think Mac users should have to pay for something most of
    them don't want. You have NEVER, from what I've seen, come even close to
    responding to that directly.

    Yes, you're in the minority, being a Mac owner who uses floppy disks. What of
    it? You're perfectly free to keep using them, and no one can stop you. What I
    want to know is why you want the majority to have drives that'll just go unused
    for them.

    Oh well, from everything I've seen you're only going to say nonsensical drivel
    in response to this, so I'm back to the UFO newsgroups where people make more
    sense.

    - Su Rodgers

    Soorod Guest

  13. #13

    Default Re: USB flash drives made Floppies obsolete

    Tacit <tacitraol.com> wrote:
    > I bought a B&W G3 when they first came out, and told myself I'd get a USB
    > floppy for it as soon as a situation came up where I needed one. Here we
    > are, years later, and I still don't have a floppy drive for it. :)
    Then there are the half dozen or so clients of mine who, when they
    bought their first iMac, also bought a floppy disk drive, because a
    friend or relative told them they needed one. When they've had me give
    them lessons, one of the questions they've asked is just what a floppy
    drive is and why they "need" one. So there I am, trying to explain how
    there was a time when software came on floppy disks but not anymore, and
    how they can use them for backing up their files, all the while trying
    to find a graceful way to tell them they would have been better off
    spending money on Zip drives.
    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Rosenberg Guest

  14. #14

    Default Re: Floppy nonsense

    << But, to suggest that every Mac be equipped to include a
    peripheral that only a small (and shrinking) minority needs, that takes >>


    Gee I never knew that most PC users were a minority. Do me a favor dog breath,
    walk outside and take a look at the computers most people are using, heck even
    ask some people what type of computer they have, most will say a PC. Most PC
    desktops ship with floppy disk drives, they are not a minority.
    JWolf6589 Guest

  15. #15

    Default Re: Floppy nonsense

    << See, there you go again! Your response makes absolutely no sense. It's as
    if
    you say whatever comes to mind whether or not it has anything to do with the
    post you're replying to. Here, I started by asking you what does what Sony
    sell have to do with what Mac users want? How does talking about minority
    viewpoints answer my question? It doesn't. >>


    It makes no sense to people with little brain power.
    JWolf6589 Guest

  16. #16

    Default Re: USB flash drives made Floppies obsolete

    JWolf6589 wrote:
    > USB flash drives will not make floppies obsolete. They cost a lot more than a
    > floppy. DVD/CD's will not make floppies obsolete. My real choice for what
    > should have made floppies obsolete was the Super disk drive, or Zip drive.
    I declare thee Ego.
    [url]http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame45.html[/url]

    Steven Fisher Guest

  17. #17

    Default Re: Floppy nonsense

    In article <20030626205636.21121.00000976mb-m20.aol.com>, JWolf6589
    <jwolf6589aol.comnospam> wrote:
    > << But, to suggest that every Mac be equipped to include a
    > peripheral that only a small (and shrinking) minority needs, that takes >>
    >
    >
    > Gee I never knew that most PC users were a minority. Do me a favor dog
    > breath,
    > walk outside and take a look at the computers most people are using, heck even
    > ask some people what type of computer they have, most will say a PC. Most PC
    > desktops ship with floppy disk drives, they are not a minority.
    I've talked to my Windows-using friends and, virtually without
    exception, they say that they almost never use a floppy. Hell, I
    haven't used the floppy drive in either of my Wintel boxes in about a
    year. Some haven't used one in a couple of years -- they use Zips,
    CD-Rs, and USB flash devices.

    You are making a tremendous logical leap in assuming just because
    someone has a floppy drive that they use or need it. Note that in what
    you quoted, I never said or implied that it was something a minority
    has, I wrote that only a minority needs them and that minority was
    getting smaller all the time.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  18. #18

    Default Re: USB flash drives made Floppies obsolete

    George Williams wrote:
    > JWolf6589 wrote:
    >
    >
    >>I'm glad to see that the floppy disk issue is bothering you so much. Until I
    >>see MOST new PC's shipping without floppy disk drives, I'll stay committed.
    >
    >
    > I quit using floppies (and put all my superdrives into storage)
    > when USB flash drives became so inexpensive. They work cross-
    > platform and they're only $50 or so for 128 MB. At some point
    > even the windopes are gonna recognise this, too. But they're
    > always 3 or 4 years behind the curve.
    At this (actual, not imagined) University, floppies are getting
    *removed* from the Dell machines as old abused disks cause more
    mechanical problems in the Dells that are littered about. The Macs are
    mostly G4's- no floppies.
    Somehow, by some grace, they still manage to gradimacate (GWB).

    In fact, an extremely common problem for tech services is retrieving
    data from a damaged floppy that had to endure exposure to radiation from
    cell phones, microwaves, wireless base stations, metal detectors,
    martians, all over this place.

    What we _do_ actually see is not a switch to PCs so that folks can use
    floppies, but rather students submitting work, registering, researching
    on line and trading files over the network. Those taking work home have
    cute little 128 MB USB drives that cost less than the 80 floppies that
    they replace and are 1/50th the weight and 1/100th the volume _and_ have
    all the data in one place and have the actual ability to move a file
    more than 1 MB. (Consider the average size of a presentation in class).

    Run-on sentences aside, there are 50,000 students here and very few
    floppies.
    cheers.

    moon Guest

  19. #19

    Default Re: Floppy nonsense

    JWolf6589 <jwolf6589aol.comnospam> wrote:
    > > See, there you go again! Your response makes absolutely no sense. It's
    > > as if you say whatever comes to mind whether or not it has anything to
    > > do with the post you're replying to. Here, I started by asking you what
    > > does what Sony sell have to do with what Mac users want? How does
    > > talking about minority viewpoints answer my question? It doesn't.
    >
    > It makes no sense to people with little brain power.
    Amazing! Simply amazing! You, sir, make a fascinating case study. I'm
    a graduate student in psychology, doing my doctoral dissertation on
    groups with deviant reasoning. When I mentioned previously that I read
    the UFO newsgroups, that was true, but I'm doing it not for my amusement
    alone but to gather data. I'm also studying members of the Flat Earth
    Society. You make most of those people seem rational by comparison.

    Reading your post as I have for the past several days, it's clear you
    have delusions of grandeur, as demonstrated by your egotistical view
    that you must be right despite everyone else arguing to the contrary.
    Case in point: "It makes no sense to people with little brain power."
    Yes, no one at all understands what you say, yet all of them are at
    fault, there can't possibly be anything wrong with you. You're making
    perfect sense, and everyone else is too stupid to understand you. You've
    also played the part of the persecuted minority. Everyone is out to get
    you, or so you seem to believe. It can't possibly have anything to do
    with what you're writing.

    Put this all together and the clinical diagnosis would be paranoia.
    Now, if that were all, I'd actually find you kind of dull, since we see
    cases of paranoia here all the time. What makes you especially
    interesting is that you appear to have several other symptoms that
    aren't usually seen in these cases. First, the most consistent thing
    I've observed about you is that you seem to fixate on one single
    sentence or even phrase in a post, and respond to just that one aspect,
    often entirely out of context to what the entire post was about. Your
    previous post is an excellent example. You fixated on my one phrase
    about making no sense while entirely overlooking the rest of my post.

    Second, and even more interesting, paranoids ravings generally have an
    internal logic to them, whereas your posts demonstrate no consistent
    logic at all. I'm sure you're familiar with the usual example:

    A. All Martians are green.
    B. Jack is a Martian.
    C. Therefore, Jack is green.

    That's proper logic, whereas this is not:

    A. All Martians are green.
    B. Jack is green.
    C. Therefore, Jack is a Martian.

    Well, your sense of logic appears to be:

    A. All Martians are green.
    B. Jack is from Venus.
    C. Therefore, Jack should be green just because the Martians are.


    Sue Rodgers Guest

  20. #20

    Default Re: Floppy nonsense

    Mike Rosenberg <mikePOSTTOGROUP.invalid> wrote:
    > I don't know why I keep trying, and maybe therapy will help me rid
    > myself of this odd need I have to explain things to you...
    I'm probably going to wear out my welcome here quickly, if I haven't
    already, but I have to say that while I've been doing my case study on
    JWolf6589, you do seem to stand out as being as being obsessed with him.
    At least you're aware of this, so maybe you can overcome it.

    Now, if only I could overcome *MY* problem of not being able to keep my
    mouth shut.

    Sue Rodgers Guest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139