Professional Web Applications Themes

flushing libs and co.? - Mac Programming

Hi group, looking for the next best method of doing some updates (e.g. Quicktime update) _without_ rebooting the machine. Is there a way of e.g. flushing out the unused libs or so? P....

  1. #1

    Default flushing libs and co.?

    Hi group,

    looking for the next best method of doing some updates (e.g. Quicktime
    update) _without_ rebooting the machine. Is there a way of e.g. flushing
    out the unused libs or so?

    P.
    silverdr Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: flushing libs and co.?

    In article <3fe356a7$inet.com.pl>,
    silverdr <remove.it.pl> wrote:

    Newly installed libraries will be used as new applications are launched.
    For things like QuickTime that install a variety of components, many of
    which are loaded dynamically as they're needed, this means that an
    already-running application that's using the previous version of
    QuickTime could end up using components from the new version of
    QuickTime. That could cause all kinds of system instability.

    In other words, you'll be a lot happier if you restart.

    -Eric

    --
    Eric Albert edu
    http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~ejalbert/

  3. #3

    Eric Albert wrote:

    > Newly installed libraries will be used as new applications are launched.
    > For things like QuickTime that install a variety of components, many of
    > which are loaded dynamically as they're needed, this means that an
    > already-running application that's using the previous version of
    > QuickTime could end up using components from the new version of
    > QuickTime. That could cause all kinds of system instability.[/ref]

    I know all this. But, unless I am installing a new kernel or so, there
    should be a way of finding the unused resources and flushing them out of
    mem to make room for the new versions from the disk. Quitting all apps
    and leaving only the system services should leave the quicktime related
    stuff free for update. Maybe I am missing something but that's the way I
    learned some time a go on other systems. I just really dislike the
    Windowz way of work... but hey, even Windowz can change the netmask
    without rebooting these days. ;-)

    I may go quite unhappy when my record breaking uptime goes to... ;-)

    --
    Your mouse has moved, Windows needs to be restarted in order for your
    changes to take effect. Press 'OK' to reboot.

  4. #4

    In article <3fe5878a$inet.com.pl>,
    silverdr <remove.it.pl> wrote:

    You are in control of your computer. You aren't forced to restart, you
    are free to take whatever actions you feel may be necessary for an
    upgrade to 'take'. Of course, you may not get the right actions. When I
    installed 10.3.2 over 10.3, I couldn't launch any new apps after the
    install until I restarted. That might be solvable by logging out, I
    don't know. You could probably narrow it down by simply looking at the
    installer package and seeing what it installs. Restart everything that
    depends on what was installed, and you're good. In the end, it's easier
    for us and for Apple to simply restart the computer instead of figuring
    out what needs to be shut down and brought back up in what order, but
    you're free to do it manually if you like.
    Michael Guest

  5. #5

    Michael Ash wrote:

    > You are in control of your computer. You aren't forced to restart, you
    > are free to take whatever actions you feel may be necessary for an
    > upgrade to 'take'. Of course, you may not get the right actions. When I
    > installed 10.3.2 over 10.3, I couldn't launch any new apps after the
    > install until I restarted. That might be solvable by logging out, I
    > don't know. You could probably narrow it down by simply looking at the
    > installer package and seeing what it installs. Restart everything that
    > depends on what was installed, and you're good. In the end, it's easier
    > for us and for Apple to simply restart the computer instead of figuring
    > out what needs to be shut down and brought back up in what order, but
    > you're free to do it manually if you like.[/ref]

    Yes. That's the purpose I was looking for a tool to help me out with
    that. I was looking for something like "flush all the cached resources
    so that the new ones will get loaded off disc" doing this through the
    OK. Never mind. Will reboot. Just hoped someone had already found a
    uniform way around.
    silverdr Guest