Professional Web Applications Themes

FM Server and Web Publishing on same machine - FileMaker

We have FM5.5 serving running internally on a dedicated win2k machine and it seems to be working fine. We also require that web pages be made available to external users. I installed a copy of FM pro 6 on the server and have them both running. The files used by the FM pro6 are also the ones being shared by the FM Server. It works but the performance is crap. It seems that the software was not meant to be used in this configuration since the normal load is very small and normally (without web activated) the server has no ...

  1. #1

    Default FM Server and Web Publishing on same machine

    We have FM5.5 serving running internally on a dedicated win2k machine
    and it seems to be working fine. We also require that web pages be made
    available to external users. I installed a copy of FM pro 6 on the
    server and have them both running. The files used by the FM pro6 are
    also the ones being shared by the FM Server. It works but the
    performance is crap. It seems that the software was not meant to be
    used in this configuration since the normal load is very small and
    normally (without web activated) the server has no problem coping.

    Is there a way to do this properly such that decent performance can be
    achieved?

    cheers
    Sleepy Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: FM Server and Web Publishing on same machine

    Sleepy wrote:

    > We have FM5.5 serving running internally on a dedicated win2k machine
    > and it seems to be working fine. We also require that web pages be made
    > available to external users. I installed a copy of FM pro 6 on the
    > server and have them both running. The files used by the FM pro6 are
    > also the ones being shared by the FM Server. It works but the
    > performance is crap. It seems that the software was not meant to be
    > used in this configuration since the normal load is very small and
    > normally (without web activated) the server has no problem coping.
    >
    > Is there a way to do this properly such that decent performance can be
    > achieved?
    Use 2 machines. There's a white paper on FileMaker's site about
    correct implementation of network architectures.

    Cheers

    Webko
    Tim Booth Guest

  3. #3

    Yes, according to FileMaker's strategy you must run the two pieces of
    software on separate machines. It's the "Redundant Array of Inexpensive
    Computer" (RAIC) method of deployment. Think of it like RAID but for your
    databases.

    Bottom line, two FileMakers, two computers.

    Matt Revenaugh

    - - - - - - - - - - -

    On 9/8/03 11:27 PM, in article 090920031427200293%ticked.offreally.bad,
    "Sleepy" <ticked.offreally.bad> wrote:
    > We have FM5.5 serving running internally on a dedicated win2k machine
    > and it seems to be working fine. We also require that web pages be made
    > available to external users. I installed a copy of FM pro 6 on the
    > server and have them both running. The files used by the FM pro6 are
    > also the ones being shared by the FM Server. It works but the
    > performance is crap. It seems that the software was not meant to be
    > used in this configuration since the normal load is very small and
    > normally (without web activated) the server has no problem coping.
    >
    > Is there a way to do this properly such that decent performance can be
    > achieved?
    >
    > cheers
    Matt Revenaugh Guest