Professional Web Applications Themes

FMS Hardware Questions - Macromedia Flash Flashcom

We have 3 FMS2 licenses at the University of Denver and have a few questions regarding hardware recommendations: 1) We have a lage external storage solution that we would like to keep all of our FLV files on. We want FMS to "hook" into this system and be able to stream media from the storage server. What is the best way to go about this? We are thinking of placing some sort of reference to the external server in the {application/streams/_definst_} directory but are unsure if this would work in reference to an external server in the Windows 2003 R2 ...

  1. #1

    Default FMS Hardware Questions

    We have 3 FMS2 licenses at the University of Denver and have a few questions
    regarding hardware recommendations:

    1) We have a lage external storage solution that we would like to keep all of
    our FLV files on. We want FMS to "hook" into this system and be able to stream
    media from the storage server. What is the best way to go about this? We are
    thinking of placing some sort of reference to the external server in the
    {application/streams/_definst_} directory but are unsure if this would work in
    reference to an external server in the Windows 2003 R2 environment.

    2) What is your recommendation for streaming live events? The university
    already has cameras and hardware for this but is there a hardware solution you
    can recommend where we would be able to plug our camera feed into a box and
    have FMS stream the incoming video?

    Thanks very much.

    -Joseph Labrecque
    Educational Multimedia Developer
    University of Denver CTL

    Memoryspiral Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: FMS Hardware Questions

    To answer your first question... read up on the docs for virtual hosts and
    directories. I know you can use drive locations outside of the applications
    directory, but I'm not so sure about locating files on an external server. This
    is something that has to be done via the XML config files, as there isn't a way
    to define such a reference from within the application instance's streams
    directory

    As to your second question, I've had good luck with the Flashplayer
    recognizing video input cards as camera sources. Basically, any device which
    has a driver that the flashplayer sees as a camera can be used to broadcast
    video. For example, Flashplayer recognizes my Hauppage WinTV card, so I can
    publish directly from it.

    The audio from your camera feed will plug into the audio line in jack on your
    soundcard. You then just have to select the line in for recording in your
    computer's internal sound mixer.

    JayCharles Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the input, JayCharles.

    We have FMS pointing to a folder outside the applications directory on the
    same box- we are looking to hook it up with a huge external storage solution.
    We are just wondering if Adobe has any recommended solutions for this or the
    other question. Your input certainly does help though. We are going to try a
    few things and I will post back here to have a record of any success or failure
    for others attempting the same sort of thing.

    Memoryspiral Guest

  4. #4

    I haven't found any docs on it, but for some reason I have the feeling you
    can't map tp an external server using the pro license model. Adobe has an
    origin/edge license structure for scaling FMS across multiple servers, but I
    haven't worked with it so I don't know if it allows for files to reside on a
    server that does not have FMS installed. I'm looking forward to hearing what
    you come up with.

    While I don't think you can map directly to the external storage server, there
    is one workaround I can think of that might work for you in the short term.

    If you can install FMS on the server that the files reside on, you can make a
    netconnection between the FMS server your clients will connect to and the FMS
    on the storage machine. That way, the client FMS server acts as a proxy between
    the client and the file server, and the FMS on the file server only has to
    serve one client (the other FMS server). With such a setup, you also have the
    ability to record a copy of the video on the client FMS server, so you can save
    traffic on your file server.

    It might not be a viable solution for your application, but I figured I'd
    throw it out there in case mapping directly to the external server turns out to
    be an impossibility.

    JayCharles Guest