Professional Web Applications Themes

Following Curved lines - copying. - Macromedia Freehand

Hi there, pretty new to FH and FW. I've been trying to copy some graphics onto a board outline and have 2 problems. I import an gif or jpeg into and FH window and then use the pen tool to copy the curved outline of a swirly graphic. This results in a selection of straight lines not a true parabol. Q1 - how do you get to copy using smooth curves ? Also the board I'm trying to make a graphic on is 380 mm wide and 1500 long, so as you could imagine - scaling it up reveals all ...

  1. #1

    Default Following Curved lines - copying.

    Hi there, pretty new to FH and FW.

    I've been trying to copy some graphics onto a board outline and have 2
    problems.
    I import an gif or jpeg into and FH window and then use the pen tool to copy
    the curved outline of a swirly graphic. This results in a selection of straight
    lines not a true parabol. Q1 - how do you get to copy using smooth curves ?
    Also the board I'm trying to make a graphic on is 380 mm wide and 1500 long, so
    as you could imagine - scaling it up reveals all manner of irrugularities. how
    do I overcome this ?

    Q2 - I have a font I love, its an outline font so the center is white, how do
    I insert a union jack inside the letters ? so that each letter has the next
    associated bit of flag showing within its outline ?

    Anyt help much appreciated.

    Many thanks.

    Ron.

    Ron916 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Following Curved lines - copying.

    Ron916 wrote:

    So, are you manually tracing over the swirly graphic using the pen tool?
    If so, are you just plotting corner points, by clicking down once with
    the pen tool? If so, to make proper curve points, you need to hold down
    the pen tool and move around until you get the curve you want. Vector
    drawing like this takes a little practice, but you should get used to it.

    Or maybe you're using the 'freehand' *pencil* tool? If so, the actually
    pen tool is much better for precesion drawing, as the pencil almost
    always requires some manual cleaning up, converting corner points to
    curves etc.

    This would be a lot easier if the type wasn't an outline font:

    1. Text>Convert to Paths (you may want to put a copy of the 'live' type
    on a separate layer first)
    2. Modify>Join (this will give you a composite path of the type)
    3. Move the flag artwork into position over the type
    4. Edit>Cut
    5. Edit>Paste Inside

    You can then apply fill and stroke attributes to suit. Doinfgthis with
    an outline font is rather more complicated, and involves joining the
    white inside portions into one composite path and the black outsides
    into another.

    But... if you don't mind me saying, I wouldn't personally contemplate
    doing what you're trying to do. I don't know if you're familiar with the
    'logo' of a certain UK 'political party', but pasting a union flag into
    outline type may have some very negative connotations that could
    alienate a large portion of your audience.

    --

    Danny

    Danny Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Danny, thanks for the reply indeed.

    Regarding using the pen tool to trace curves - I'll give that a go thanks for
    the tip...
    What I'm doing is designing a graphic for a wake board - hence the UJ idea.
    not political ref whatsoever - but good point - and taken to heart as I'm of
    ethnic background myself.

    so what I wanted was to distort a UJ into a swirly graphic with much flow and
    movement....but alas, Its my first attempt at vector grraphics and the tools
    are not really intuitive to me ! In addition - the logo.

    Anyway - the font - I do have the font in bold also - so what Fill and stroke
    edits do I make to make the fill a Union Jack ? thats the bit I dont understand
    too well ! any elaboration appreciated thanks.

    Ron.

    Ron916 Guest

  4. #4

    Ron916 wrote:

    If you already have vector art of the flag, try using FH's Envelope
    tools to distort it. It puts a frame around objects that act just like
    any composite path, so you can pull points and handles around to get the
    desired effect. Check FH's built in Help for a guide to using envelopes.

    It's the 'Paste Inside' - as instructed in my previous post - that puts
    the flag (or any artwork for that matter) inside the type. Once you have
    your flag pasted inside your type, it would probably be a simple case of
    assigning no fill, and a black stroke (or possibly blue or red, whatever
    floats your wakeboard :) ).

    --

    Danny
    Danny Guest

  5. #5

    Danny Whitehead wrote:

    I've 'waved' many flags this way, but I've found that long straight paths
    don't follow a curvy envelope well unless you first add more points to the
    paths. To do this, use the 'Add Points' Xtras three or four times. Apply
    Envelope and distort. Upon releasing the envelope, excess points will be
    removed.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest