Professional Web Applications Themes

Font catalogue upon selection -- feature suggesti - Macromedia Freehand

Hello. Maybe there's a way to do this already in FH10, but I don't see it. Here's a feature that would be extremely helpful. My figures have various fonts in them. Some text boxes have several fonts in them. Sometimes I want to change one font family, say Tahoma to Optima. Currently I have to select each text box to determine the active font, and when I have several fonts in one box, I have to select the right character. It would be much better to have a window come up with a tabulation of all the fonts in the ...

  1. #1

    Default Font catalogue upon selection -- feature suggesti

    Hello.

    Maybe there's a way to do this already in FH10, but I don't see it.

    Here's a feature that would be extremely helpful. My figures have various
    fonts in them. Some text boxes have several fonts in them.

    Sometimes I want to change one font family, say Tahoma to Optima. Currently I
    have to select each text box to determine the active font, and when I have
    several fonts in one box, I have to select the right character.

    It would be much better to have a window come up with a tabulation of all the
    fonts in the box, or boxes, and give the ability to substitute one font for
    another w/out affecting the other fonts or sizes etc. Even to determine what
    fonts are in the text box would be a great tool.

    I have spent hours doing it the slow way. I wish you would make this a feature.

    Thanks,
    -Jay

    Jay Damask Guest

  2. #2

    Have you tried Find & Replace Graphics > Font?

    Judy Arndt

    Jay Damask wrote:
    > Sometimes I want to change one font family, say Tahoma to Optima. Currently I
    > have to select each text box to determine the active font, and when I have
    > several fonts in one box, I have to select the right character.
    >
    > It would be much better to have a window come up with a tabulation of all the
    > fonts in the box, or boxes, and give the ability to substitute one font for
    > another w/out affecting the other fonts or sizes etc. Even to determine what
    > fonts are in the text box would be a great tool.
    Judy Arndt Guest

  3. #3

    Hey, I did not know about this one. Wow, that would have saved me a lot of time.

    Anyway, it still would be good to have a window that showed what fonts are in a selection.

    Thanks,
    -Jay

    Jay Damask Guest

  4. #4

    You can find all the fonts used in a doent by using File > Report >
    Fonts. You could copy a text block into a new, blank doent and check for
    fonts that way.

    I'm not surprised that you didn't know to check for a Find & Replace Font
    feature hidden in Find & Replace Graphics (F&RG). It does, after all, say
    Graphics.

    FH frequently comes under attack for a hodge-podge user interface. This is
    one example. BTW, did you know you can remove overprint from text via F&RG >
    Remove > Overprint? Bet you wouldn't have thought to look there, would you?
    Take a look through all the options in F&RG. There are many gems hiding
    there. :-)

    Judy Arndt
    --
    FHMX 11.0.2 (Build 92)
    Mac G4, OS 10.3.3

    Jay Damask wrote:
    > Hey, I did not know about this one. Wow, that would have saved me a lot of
    > time.
    >
    > Anyway, it still would be good to have a window that showed what fonts are in
    > a selection.
    Judy Arndt Guest

  5. #5

    FreeHand's superb editing features are chiefly what keeps me coming back for
    more. Illustrator feels primitive to it in comparison - at least in this
    respect. Nothing quite like find & replace and copy & paste attributes...
    incredible tools I use daily. Better masking, too.

    Alas, FHMX is doing the unexpected quit dance quite a lot on me these days.
    Must be my use of FontCard in conjunction with it.

    As for the user interface, feh. The whole unified Macromedia UI is no
    great shakes, far as I can see. Nope, FH's main selling point is its robust
    feature set, not its UI or the sad, vexing ways in which it buries its own
    strengths.

    maxman23 Guest

  6. #6

    Well, I've been using Freehand or its earlier incarnations since 1991, when it
    was Virtuoso on the NeXT machines. I agree that the feature set is second to
    none -- and I've never understood why people like Illustrator.

    Is the MX interface improved over FH10?

    Jay Damask Guest