Professional Web Applications Themes

Font missing Arial Black Italic - Adobe Indesign Windows

We just installed InDesign CS at my company, and it seems to have a problem with the Arial Black Italic font. It's on the system, and worked well in ID2, but opening the same doents in IDCS I keep getting a "font missing" error. The font is showing up in the font list, but selecting it to replace the missing font just throws the error again. All the other Arial fonts in the family are opentype, and the Arial Black Italic is the only truetype font. We are looking to purchase a new version of the font, but so far ...

  1. #1

    Default Font missing Arial Black Italic

    We just installed InDesign CS at my company, and it seems to have a problem with the Arial Black Italic font. It's on the system, and worked well in ID2, but opening the same doents in IDCS I keep getting a "font missing" error. The font is showing up in the font list, but selecting it to replace the missing font just throws the error again. All the other Arial fonts in the family are opentype, and the Arial Black Italic is the only truetype font. We are looking to purchase a new version of the font, but so far no opentype versions of it have been found. Any suggestions?
    Lisa_Kelley@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Font missing Arial Black Italic

    The font is showing up in the font list, but selecting it to replace the
    missing font just throws the error again.

    Does it show up in the list as "Arial Black" and the Italic is available in the drop-down list below that or just Arial Black Regular is shown?

    In the \Windows\Fonts folder is there a separate file for Arial Black and Arial Black Italic?
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Yes - The Font family is showing as Arial Black, with two drop-down options: Italic and Regular. The regular works correctly (this is an Opentype font) but the italic (even though you can select it) gets flagged as a missing font (Truetype font).

    Think the font mixing within the same family is the problem? I can't find an opentype version of Arial Black Italic anywhere.
    Lisa_Kelley@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Think the font mixing within the same family is the problem?

    Perhaps - I've tried reproducing what you described because I looked at the fonts in my \Windows\Fonts directory and I have the same thing you have. It's Arial Black OpenType and Arial Black, Italic TT. It's working as it should for me. Have you checked the C:\Program Files\Adobe\InDesign CS\Fonts folder? There should be nothing in there but if there is then that would be the reason it isn't working.

    We are looking to purchase a new version of the font, but so far no opentype
    versions of it have been found.

    You'll also eliminate this problem by using a different font (just a thought). Perhaps you may want to consider purchasing something other than Arial. There are many fonts out there that look similar to Arial Black and most readers would never know the difference.

    However, I don't know why you've chosen to go with Arial (must be a reason) so that idea may not even apply.

    Just in case, here is a link to Adobe's fonts <http://www.adobe.com/type/main.jhtml> in the select by classification menu select OpenType Pro.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest