Professional Web Applications Themes

Font or cht/encoding problem in input fields (Linux) - Macromedia Flash Player

Hi, I am trying to enter a text in russian language into input fields in Flash Player 9. I can type russian characters but they are displayed incorrectly in the input field - some strange symbols are shown instead. If I copy-paste a text from text editor, it is inserted and shown correctly - even more, it is sent correctly to server and shown to other users. Can I configure fonts for Flash Player or something else to make it working? Or is it a bug in Flash Player or Firefox browser? My system is: Ubuntu Linux 6.10 (Edgy), Kernel ...

  1. #1

    Default Font or cht/encoding problem in input fields (Linux)

    Hi,
    I am trying to enter a text in russian language into input fields in Flash
    Player 9.
    I can type russian characters but they are displayed incorrectly in the input
    field - some strange symbols are shown instead. If I copy-paste a text from
    text editor, it is inserted and shown correctly - even more, it is sent
    correctly to server and shown to other users.

    Can I configure fonts for Flash Player or something else to make it working?
    Or is it a bug in Flash Player or Firefox browser?

    My system is:
    Ubuntu Linux 6.10 (Edgy), Kernel 2.6.17-11
    Firefox 2.0.0.3 browser
    Flash Player 9.0 downloaded from Adobe site and installed via their script

    The following variables are set in /etc/environment:
    LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
    LANGUAGE="en_US:en"
    I tried setting LANG="ru_RU.UTF-8" - in this case I can not type in input
    field at all.

    Thank you for your help.

    vicnov Guest

  2. #2

    Is this with one particular form or lots on different web sites? If the author
    didn't use the right settings then it won't let you input the text correctly.
    Still, it looks like you've got a workaround, so that's something.
    If it's with one site, could you maybe supply the URL and I'll test it and let
    you know how I get on and then, if it works for me, we can then see if we can
    work out what settings are different?

    i-wt Guest

  3. #3

    This is for all sites - for example, you can look at [url]www.ivideochat.com[/url] (click
    "Start video chat" - you will be proposed to enter nickname into a text field).
    Seems that this is not site problem because my friend can enter russian text
    on same sites in Windows XP.

    vicnov Guest

  4. #4

    I've just tested on Mac OS X with Greek and Russian. Russian's fine, but
    Greek's not?! Hmm... I'll test in Linux over the next couple of days (it's a
    rather fine day here, so I'm away out now to enjoy the sunshine!) and let you
    know how I get on!

    i-wt Guest

  5. #5

    Ok, waiting for your testing results!
    I can not say "a fine day" about the weather here, so I am working ;-)
    vicnov Guest

  6. #6

    I'm getting the same results as you - and with forms which work fine on Mac OS
    X and Windows. The fact that we can copy and paste successfully does suggest
    that Flash Player for Linux can deal with Cyrillic, it's just that it's somehow
    not happy with the way the characters are being input. I'll carry on testing
    and see if I work out what setting might be involved, if any.

    i-wt Guest

  7. #7

    I still have this problem with Flash Player 9.0.48.0 in Linux...
    vicnov Guest

  8. #8

    The problem exists in 9.0.115.0 in Linux (Ubuntu 7.10).
    Did someone try to enter non-english characters into Flash/Flex input fields?
    vicnov Guest

  9. #9

    i have such problem.

    openSUSE 10.2.
    flash player 9.0.115.0
    firefox and seamonkey.
    osmonov Guest

  10. #10

    i have the same problem with croatian language, ?????????? letters. they are
    embeded in flash and shown from utf-8 xml, but can not write them in input text
    field.

    im on MacOSX 10.4.11
    Firefox and safari act the same.

    onoxo Guest

  11. #11

    also croatian.. not sure if its the same problem but...

    in one of my swf files all inputs (bot textfield and components) treat my
    keyboard as if it was en_US and all diacritical symbols are shown as plain

    keyboard example: croatian keyboard has semicolon(:) set as [shift]+[.],
    however, in opera and firefox that input results in greaterThan(>)
    diacritical example: both [?] and [?] keys reasult in c

    the problem is persistant in firefox and opera regardless of the operating
    system and cht
    it is absent in internet explorer
    the problem is present in some (but not all) swf files developed with Flash CS3
    example of the bug can be seen http://www.zg-street.com/fk/index2.php

    i will try to build the app from scratch and see if that solves it

    barney.tearspell Guest

  12. #12

    please send resoults here
    thnx!
    onoxo Guest

  13. #13

    In my case, it is a Flex application, built with mxmlc (Flex compiler) and I
    can not type russian characters directly in text fields. I use Linux (Ubuntu)
    and Firefox.
    I tried to play with locale and language settings in my OS - without success.
    Other applications work perfectly (incl. Java and Java plugin in Firefox), so
    it seems to be Flash Player problem.

    vicnov Guest

  14. #14

    Have you seen the new public Flash Player bug and issue management system? You
    can read about it at
    http://www.adobe.com/devnet/logged_in/tmccauley_fplayer_bugbase.html . Anyway,
    it looks like this problem has been logged
    (https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-40). You can vote for the bug and track
    it through this new site.

    Balle Guest

  15. #15

    Balle Julle,
    thank you for pointing to this issue in Jira.
    vicnov Guest