Professional Web Applications Themes

Font Reunion - Macromedia Freehand

Hi guys, Font reunion, why does it not work anymore. Quark XPress used to be notorious for this, and now XPress 6.1 is fine! My FreeHand MX 11.0.2 is total p1sh at doing this now, when it was doing it ok before. Any comments? Cheers....

  1. #1

    Default Font Reunion

    Hi guys,

    Font reunion, why does it not work anymore. Quark XPress used to be notorious
    for this, and now XPress 6.1 is fine! My FreeHand MX 11.0.2 is total p1sh at
    doing this now, when it was doing it ok before.

    Any comments?

    Cheers.

    Mark McIlmail Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Font Reunion

    Mark McIlmail wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > Font reunion, why does it not work anymore. Quark XPress used to be
    > notorious for this, and now XPress 6.1 is fine! My FreeHand MX 11.0.2
    > is total p1sh at doing this now, when it was doing it ok before.
    >
    > Any comments?
    >
    > Cheers.

    Do you mean font family grouping in the font menu? Which operating system?
    Wes Rand Guest

  3. #3

    Sorry Wes, I meant to say that I'm using Panther 10.3.3 now. I'm comparing this against FreeHand 9 in OS9.2.2. Hope that clears it.

    Cheers,
    Mark.
    Mark McIlmail Guest

  4. #4

    There is no FontReunion in OS X. That's the problem. Adobe is not
    going to make it either. So far except for FontCard, see current thread
    "FontCard Feedback", there are no system wide Font Family fixes. Adobe
    has built it into their apps and reports are that the FHMX beta had it
    but it was pulled because of too many bugs. Maybe MX 2004/5.

    Rich

    Mark McIlmail wrote:
    > Sorry Wes, I meant to say that I'm using Panther 10.3.3 now. I'm comparing this against FreeHand 9 in OS9.2.2. Hope that clears it.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Mark.
    Rich Hudgins Guest

  5. #5

    Rich Hudgins wrote:
    > There is no FontReunion in OS X. That's the problem. Adobe is not
    > going to make it either. So far except for FontCard, see current thread
    > "FontCard Feedback", there are no system wide Font Family fixes. Adobe
    > has built it into their apps and reports are that the FHMX beta had it
    > but it was pulled because of too many bugs. Maybe MX 2004/5.
    Or maybe Apple will get its font management widgets to work with carbon
    apps with the next update to the OS.
    Wes Rand Guest

  6. #6

    and/or MM will make FH a Cocoa app.

    Rich

  7. #7

    Rich,

    It will be great if Freehand becomes a Cocoa app. I hope that they are heading in that direction.

    David
    davecc Guest

  8. #8

    I thought it'll be more of a FreeHand MX thing rather than an OSX thing, as
    Quark XPress 6.1 has it in their font list (where it didn't in 5 under OS9).
    It's like Quark decided to support it, and Macromedia decided to drop it.

    It's only a slight irritation, as if it wasn't for the way Suitcase interacts
    with FreeHand by only switching on the fonts used in each doent, I'd be
    going mental right now!!!

    If you hear any more, please let me know.

    Cheers,
    Mark.

    Mark McIlmail Guest

  9. #9

    Mark McIlmail wrote:
    [Q] I thought it'll be more of a FreeHand MX thing rather than an OSX thing,
    as Quark XPress 6.1 has it in their font list (where it didn't in 5 under OS9).
    It's like Quark decided to support it, and Macromedia decided to drop it.[/Q]

    Macromedia didn't drop it since they never had it (though Adobe Type Reunion
    became so ubiquious it seemed like it was a part of the operating system.) But
    it would certainly make life a whole lot better if they added it. They're the
    lone holdout on my computer now in not offering font famliy grouping.

    As someone else mentioned you can try [L=Font
    Card]http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20579[/L] to see if it
    works for you. Didn't for me but others have had better luck.

    Wes Rand Guest

  10. #10

    Fontcard does indeed work for me and it certainly cleans up and minimizes
    lengthy font menus, but be warned: on my system it causes FHMX to crash five or
    six times a day over the course of an 11+ hour day. I often read the crash logs
    and it usually mentions some arcane gibberish naming Application Enhancer, an
    Unsanity system hack that enables Fontcard in the first place.

    I get around these admittedly vexing limitations by being philosophical and
    saving often. That said, I do hope FH's next iteration grows up in the font
    management department. I run too many fonts to want to go back to the dreadful
    FreeHand font menu... I'd love to leave Unsanity behind and depend on robust
    in-house font reunion, but obviously it ain't gonna happen... yet.

    maxman23 Guest

  11. #11

    Mark,

    Check the link below. I just saw it on MacMinute.com

    David

    [url]www.yousoftware.com/products/fonts.php#screenshots[/url]
    davecc Guest

  12. #12

    davecc wrote:
    > Mark,
    >
    > Check the link below. I just saw it on MacMinute.com
    >
    > David
    >
    > [url]www.yousoftware.com/products/fonts.php#screenshots[/url]
    Now that is encouraging. I'll have to give it a whirl when it's released.
    Wes Rand Guest