Professional Web Applications Themes

Font Styles with Gradients - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

I have a font style that I have assigned a gradient. Everything is great; however, I want the gradient to be from the top of the letter to the bottom of the letter. When I apply the style to a paragraph it is from left to right. I'm aware of how to use the gradient tool to make this. My question is: How do I "embed" the gradient direction in the Paragraph style so that when I apply the style to a paragraph it is from top to bottom?...

  1. #1

    Default Font Styles with Gradients

    Shannon_Brown@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Font Styles with Gradients

    Define the gradient with an angle.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I am not seeing any kind of dialogue box for angles as they relate to gradients. Can you explain to me how to assign an angle.
    Shannon_Brown@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    In the Gradient palette you specify an angle before making a swatch.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Scott, did you actually try this? With my InDesign the angle does get part of the swatch-definition.
    Gerald_Singelmann@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    It's not part of the swatch, but you can get it into the paragraph style definition by manually changing the angle for an application of the swatch and then updating the style.

    But, this process is doomed to bitter disappointment. The starting point and range of the gradient appear to be completely out of control, it spans the whole height of the containing text frame.

    So, to make this work, you have to go to extraordinary lengths. For example, making each line of text an anchored text frame. Or, you can change the text to outlined so the gradient can then be set on a per character basis.

    One of InDesign's weaker features, I'm afraid.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Shannon: I'm curious, is this gradient text a spot color or cmyk? I assume it's a headline.
    Richard_Sohanchyk@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Holy crap, you're right. The gradient angle is not included in the swatch definition (strike 1), and the gradient's span is the entire text frame (strike 2). Strike 3 is the badly designed method of creating gradients (pretty much have to make a swatch for each step).

    You're out of there!
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    I was afraid that what I'm hearing is what I expected. I've been using InDesign since its inception and I live on it daily. I've learned that I often miss some obvious features from time to time and this is the best place to have those questions answered.

    As it relates to this issue, I am using CMYK gradients. Typically I have to select whatever text is receiving the gradient (line by line) and then use the gradient tool to set my angle accurately (line by line). In this case I am applying the gradient to header style text.

    Side issue that has always irritated me: If I add a gradient to the cells of a table and then set the angles that I want everything is good UNTIL I edit some text somewhere else at which time it will occasionally hose up my gradient in the table. My solution: I wait till the entire job is completely proofed and DONE. Then, the very last step I take is to go set my angles.
    Shannon_Brown@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    CMYK text?????? What font size? This could be a mess if the type is too small.
    Richard_Sohanchyk@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    There's no problem with the font and size (I understand your concern). The font is Myriad Pro Bold Italic and it's approximately 20 pt.
    Shannon_Brown@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    There's no problem with the font and size (I understand your concern).
    The font is Myriad Pro Bold Italic and it's approximately 20 pt.

    Should be fine. I suggest you try to keep one process colour at 100%, like a blend from Green (100,0,100,0) to Red (0,100,100,0) would always have 100% Yellow. THis helps especially at lower linescreens.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest