Professional Web Applications Themes

FontCard Feedback - Macromedia Freehand

Hi, Can anyone with FontCard tell me of their experiences using it with Freehand. I am thinking of buying it and I want to know if it is worth the price. Many Thanks David...

  1. #1

    Default FontCard Feedback

    Hi,

    Can anyone with FontCard tell me of their experiences using it with Freehand. I am thinking of buying it and I want to know if it is worth the price.

    Many Thanks
    David
    davecc Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: FontCard Feedback

    davecc wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone with FontCard tell me of their experiences using it with
    > Freehand. I am thinking of buying it and I want to know if it is
    > worth the price.
    >
    > Many Thanks David
    I tested it out for our company and finally gave it a thumbs down. It
    seemed to cause a lot of crashes in Freehand, quickly refused to work
    and support from the company was non-existent. But you can try it out
    for yourself to see if you have better experiences than I did.
    Wes Rand Guest

  3. #3

    Wes,

    I will take your word for it. I have seen your posts and you are a person that knows what they are talking about. Thanks for the info.

    Regards,
    David
    davecc Guest

  4. #4

    I have been using FontCard for a few months and I haven't had any major
    problems with it. I do get the odd crash, sometimes when activating the styles
    menu, but as Freehand is a bit unstable anyway it is hard to pin the blame on
    FontCard.

    Without FontCard I would have gone nuts looking for fonts in the font list. If
    Macromedia don't include font family grouping in the next version of Freehand
    then I can only assume they are not reading the posts in this forum.

    MurrayRL Guest

  5. #5

    I purchased FontCard when there was a new upgrade buy my previous trial had
    expired. On my machine, FontCard is far more trouble than it's worth.

    I enabled it again for FHMX only (after logging out and back in). Here's
    what I observed. All text editing is slowed down and hesitant. Placing the
    cursor in a text box hesitates about a second. Highlighting text lags behind
    the cursor. Resizing text with keyboard shortcuts is slow, and sometimes the
    text box jumps around, overlapping larger and smaller size between shortcuts
    (Cmd-Shift-period).

    Not all font families are grouped logically as expected.

    When I disable FontCard, text editing in FHMX is once again responsive.

    I use FontAgent Pro to manage fonts so perhaps there is a conflict.

    Judy Arndt
    --
    FHMX 11.0.2 (Build 92)
    Mac G4, OS 10.3.3

    davecc wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone with FontCard tell me of their experiences using it with Freehand.
    > I am thinking of buying it and I want to know if it is worth the price.
    >
    > Many Thanks
    > David
    Judy Arndt Guest

  6. #6

    Hi Judy,

    Thanks for taking the time to review FontCard for me. I guess I will have to
    wait for MM to include with a future update.

    Regards,
    David

    PS. Wes and Murray, thanks also for your input

    davecc Guest

  7. #7

    Earlier versions of Fontcard on my Panther system seemed to contribute to FH
    instability; I experienced some of the same slow editing phenomena that Judy
    described. However, I've since gone back to using it full-time in combination
    with Font Book. FH still does its unexpected quits two or three times a day....
    but then again, FHMX is a slightly wobbly beast at the best of times. Perhaps
    Fontcard makes my FH marginally more unstable, but it's hard to tell. At any
    rate, I feel it's worth it for the immeasurably improved font menu display...
    although again, I echo Judy's observations that FC unifies some fonts and
    ignores others... it seems inconsistent. Still, it shortens the list and it
    gives me proper WYSIWYG abilities. Be warned that the first time it loads the
    font menu it takes a few seconds.... this on a G5 1.8 single with 2 Gb of RAM.

    maxman23 Guest

  8. #8

    Hey Max,

    Thanks for your feedback. I thought you were in Europe on your honeymoon. Good to hear from you.

    David
    davecc Guest

  9. #9

    A different Max, perhaps? I do plan on getting hitched this year, preferably in
    Italy or somewhere in the tropics, but it's all kind of iffy at the mo... my
    fianc? and I have thorny work schedules to contend with. So...

    Anyway, I'm not posting as much in here, mostly because I'm a busy camper at
    work. I still use FH a great deal, daily actually, although for my vinyl
    signage needs I'm exporting to AI and using Illustrator CS to get final output
    done. Pretty much everything else I do that's in-house gets done via FH and
    Photoshop.

    Cheers, David!

    maxman23 Guest