Professional Web Applications Themes

Fonts in italics - Macromedia Freehand

I can't get the font Beesknees ITC to go into italics. Is this not possible? Please advise....

  1. #1

    Default Fonts in italics

    I can't get the font Beesknees ITC to go into italics. Is this not possible? Please advise.
    Steve_ACCTivate! Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Fonts in italics

    "Steve_ACCTivate!" wrote:

    > I can't get the font Beesknees ITC to go into italics. Is this not possible? Please advise.
    If the font doesn't come with an italic version (most display and
    script fonts don't), put your headline or whatever in a separate
    container (if it isn't already) and use the Skew command from the
    Transform palette. An angle of 12 from vertical is typical, although
    you can make it whatever you like; of course this won't create a true
    italic font but it will have an "oblique" or "pseudo-italic"
    appearance. If you have several consecutive lines of text to treat
    this way, to keep the margins aligned some extra work will be
    required: you can put each one in its own container, you can use the
    text-wrapping feature on a rectangle (or any other shape) to force
    each line to start where you want, or you can apply incrementally
    increasing paragraph indents to each line after the first.

    --
    Odysseus
    Odysseus Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the advise. I will give it a try

    My confusion comes because other programs don't have any problem turning the
    font into italics. Everything from Photoshop to MS Word all do it. Freehand
    is the only program that doesn't automate the process, and I have migrated to
    use the whole Macromedia suite. The italics A in beesknees makes up our logo,
    so it's very important to my boss (who created it a couple of years ago for
    doents, etc)

    Unless anyone else knows about this font, I'll just try to make it into a path
    and play with it

    Steve_ACCTivate! Guest

  4. #4

    "Steve_ACCTivate!" wrote:

    > My confusion comes because other programs don't have any problem turning the
    > font into italics. Everything from Photoshop to MS Word all do it. Freehand
    > is the only program that doesn't automate the process, and I have migrated to
    > use the whole Macromedia suite. The italics A in beesknees makes up our logo,
    > so it's very important to my boss (who created it a couple of years ago for
    > doents, etc)

    I very much doubt the other programs are "turning the font into
    italics", but they probably slant it just as you would in FH using
    the Skew command. While 'faux' font styles are convenient, they can
    create problems (or just plain ugly results) when printed, so many
    high-end graphics programs don't encourage their use. I'm not sure,
    but I'd be willing to lay a small wager that neither Adobe
    Illustrator nor InDesign would show you an italic option for
    Beesknees either.
    > Unless anyone else knows about this font, I'll just try to make it into a path
    > and play with it
    You shouldn't need to make it into a path just to Skew it: text can
    be kept 'live', i.e. editable, through any kind of transformation if
    you so wish.

    --
    Odysseus
    Odysseus Guest