Professional Web Applications Themes

Fonts - separating truetype and postscript - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I heard that it is not good to store truetype and postscript fonts in the same folder. However, my computer (under C / Windows / fonts) has placed them together. I also have another folder (C / PSFONTS) with only postscript fonts (the same ones). I don't seem to have any real problem, except perhaps with fonts which have exactly the same name in the different formats. Should I separate the fonts? Will they still work properly? I use Windows XP with Illustrator, Photoshop and Xpress. Thanks for your help....

  1. #1

    Default Fonts - separating truetype and postscript

    brooke_lhernould@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Fonts - separating truetype and postscript

    Brooke,

    You should avoid having PostScript and TTFont versions of the same font
    active on the machine.

    Also, every active font on your machine will show up in the Fonts folder,
    but entries for PostScript fonts in your PSFONTS folder should be a
    shortcut, not the font-file itself.

    If using a font-manager (ATM) you can store your fonts wherever you like (I
    have a small disk partition devoted entirely to fonts), but again, all
    activated fonts will create a shortcut in the Windows\Fonts folder

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for your response, Len. Is there an easy way to deactivate a font? When necessary, I just move it out to the desktop.
    brooke_lhernould@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Brooke,

    I would recommend purchasing ATM DeLuxe. That will allow you to create font
    sets that can be easily and quickly swapped in and out of the system.

    You can create font sets that are a mixture of Type1, TT and O/T fonts, and
    you can create font sets by Client, by job, by font type etc. etc. to suite
    your own workflow.

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Brooke,

    Are you aware that when you move a file onto your desktop, it will continue to use system resources? Not a good thing to get into the habit of doing.

    Bob
    BobHill@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    No, I didn't realize that. Thanks for taking the time to let me know.
    brooke_lhernould@adobeforums.com Guest