Professional Web Applications Themes

Footnotes - Adobe Indesign Windows

It's off on mine. Bob...

  1. #21

    Default Re: Footnotes

    It's off on mine.

    Bob

    Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #22

    Sorry if I pooped the party.

    You didn't - that script was actually discussed (briefly) in the thread "special characters and footnotes" of a few days ago. I haven't tried it yet, but from the readme it seems to be a step more than other scripts that are about and does a bit more comparison between the footnotes and the footnote references. It's still a long way from being proper support, however.

    Phil, did your FM users mention ID's modal style dialogues as being a problem? They rate as one of the major annoyances for me when it comes to ID's usability, as opposed to its features.
    Dominic_Hurley@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #23

    If you've never had a Word file go corrupt on you,

    I haven't

    you've not had extensive experience with truly complex Word files

    Oh, but I have

    involving specialized templates, extensive multi-level outlining, already
    generated TOCs, graphics, master docs, and subdocs, Asian text, exotic
    unicode ranges, etc.

    Except for Asian text, all of those. Add in frames, multiple columns, hundreds of cross-references, footnotes, fields, thousands of section breaks, tables - and, oh, by the way over a network. Occasional crashes, yes - corrupted doents, never.

    The architecture of Word is just too fragile for this.

    Not in my experience. If you're having these kinds of problems, the first thing I'd check would be your network reliability.
    Stu_Bloom@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #24

    We might agree to disagree here. I no longer have corruption problems with any of my many software programs and my system's rock-solid. Whether or not this is because I now refrain from trying to make Word or WP into book-layout programs will have to be a moot point. (But I didn't make up the fact of having found multiple corroborations for this "factoid" on Word-related sites.)

    .... but true enough, this was before upgrading from Office XP to Word 2003.

    Mitra
    Kalavinka@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #25

    Dominic,

    I've taught this class to roughly 150 people and never had anyone mention it. Many participants are either Photoshop or Illustrator users so I think the similarity of the interface to those applications becomes the overriding factor. I find that our illustrators who have been using Adobe Illustrator for many years pick up InDesign faster than our FrameMaker users who have never used Photoshop or Illustrator.

    We've got some work arounds for some of InDesign's more glaring omissions, such as table styles and running heads (we use scripts for these). The Frame users seem willing to accept these solutions as long as they work dependably.

    Phil
    pjredman@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #26

    Default Footnotes

    It's great that InDesign CS 2 suppport Footnotes!
    But I've some questions about using this footnotes (the answers I couldn't find in the tutorial of IC):
    1. is it possible to extract the footnotes from the doent (in the last phase of editing) and place them as endnotes (and vica versa)?
    2. can you place the notes also in the margins of the doent?

    thanks,
    Hans Drieman
    Hans Guest

  7. #27

    Hans,

    The answer to both questions is no. That's why I don't value the new footnote feature very high. It is helpfull for plain vanilla footnotes and the numbering options are all there (which can't be said of the outlining feature). But for the latest book I did with all notes in the margin you still have to make your own solution.

    Converting footnotes into endnotes could be easily done with a script. The other way around is also possible, but is much more complicated.

    Teus de Jong
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #28

    Thanks Teus,

    That's why I couldn't find it.
    The value of the new footnote feature with all these restrictions is indeed not very high!?

    I'm not yet very handy with the scripts of InDesign. Can you give me a hint for the script you mentioned?

    Many thanks,
    Hans Drieman
    Hans Guest

  9. #29

    A very crude version. A paragraph style Endnote should be made and a character style EndnoteMarker. With the cursor in a story, this would the replace the footnotes in that story by endnotes at the end of the story:

    theStory = app.selection[0].parentStory;
    // collect all markers
    fnsmarkers = theStory.search('\u0004', undefined, undefined, undefined);
    //collect all footnotes
    fns = theStory.footnotes;
    // collect the content of all notes
    fnsText = fns.everyItem().contents;
    // place endnotemarkers at the position of the footnotemarkers
    // in the text of the story. We have markers in the text and in the
    // note, so begin with fnsmarkers.length -2 and substract two.
    // The endnote number number is (i+2)/2.

    for (i = fnsmarkers.length - 2; i > -1; i-=2){
    with (theStory.insertionPoints[fnsmarkers[i].index]){
    appliedCharacterStyle = 'EndnoteMarker';
    contents = String((i+2)/2);
    }
    }
    // remove all footnotes
    fns.everyItem().remove();
    // place all notes at the end of the story
    for (i = 0; i < fnsText.length; i++){

    fnsText[i] = fnsText[i].replace('\u0004', String(i+1));
    with (theStory.insertionPoints[-1]){
    contents = fnsText[i]+'\n';
    appliedParagraphStyle = 'Endnote';
    }
    }

  10. #30

    With this first crude version all formatting in the notes is lost. To keep character formatting, not the contents of the footnotes should be fetched, but the text in the notes as object. Then first place these texts at the end of the story and then remove the notes.

  11. #31

    Here is a more acceptable version:

    try {
    endnoteStyle = app.activeDoent.paragraphStyles.item('Endnote') ;
    }
    catch (e) {
    alert('First make a paragraph style Endnote');
    exit();
    }
    if (app.selection.length == 0){
    alert('First place the cursor in the story with the footnotes');
    exit()
    }
    separator = app.activeDoent.footnoteOptions.separatorText;
    if (separator == ''){separator = '\u2002'};
    theStory = app.selection[0].parentStory;

    notenumber = 1;
    // place all notes at the end of the story
    while (theStory.footnotes.length > 0){
    endText = theStory.footnotes[0].convertToText();
    // there seems to be a bug here: endText is shifted one character back
    // we compensate for that
    app.select(theStory.characters.itemByRange(endText .characters[0].index+1, endText.characters[-1].index+1), SelectionOptions.replaceWith);
    theStory.insertionPoints[-1].contents = '\r';
    endNote = app.selection[0].move(LocationOptions.atEnd, theStory.insertionPoints[-1]);
    endNote.insertionPoints[0].contents = String(notenumber)+separator;
    endNote.applyStyle(endnoteStyle, false);
    notenumber++;
    }

  12. #32

    I guess we only work with plain vanilla footnotes, so far it works
    quite well! But there's one thing i can't figure out: is it possible to
    select all footnotes in a doent at the same time.

    Nicolette

    Nicolette Guest

  13. #33

    I was so involved in making a workaround for the endText, that I forgot to place the endnote markers in this one. Stupid. Here it is:

    try {
    endnoteStyle = app.activeDoent.paragraphStyles.item('Endnote') ;
    }
    catch (e) {
    alert('First make a paragraph style Endnote');
    exit();
    }
    try {
    markerStyle = app.activeDoent.characterStyles.item('EndnoteMa rker');
    }
    catch (e) {
    alert('First make a characterstyle style EndnoteMarker');
    exit();
    }
    if (app.selection.length == 0){
    alert('First place the cursor in the story with the footnotes');
    exit()
    }
    separator = app.activeDoent.footnoteOptions.separatorText;
    if (separator == ''){separator = '\u2002'};
    theStory = app.selection[0].parentStory;

    notenumber = 1;
    // place all notes at the end of the story
    while (theStory.footnotes.length > 0){
    endText = theStory.footnotes[0].convertToText();
    // there seems to be a bug here: endText is shifted one character back
    // we compensate for that
    markerindex = endText.characters[0].index+1;
    app.select(theStory.characters.itemByRange(markeri ndex, endText.characters[-1].index+1), SelectionOptions.replaceWith);
    theStory.insertionPoints[-1].contents = '\r';
    endNote = app.selection[0].move(LocationOptions.atEnd, theStory.insertionPoints[-1]);
    endNote.insertionPoints[0].contents = String(notenumber)+separator;
    endNote.applyStyle(endnoteStyle, false);
    marker = theStory.insertionPoints[markerindex];
    marker.appliedCharacterStyle = markerStyle;
    marker.contents = String(notenumber);
    notenumber++;
    }

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #34

    There are at least two problems in this latest version. The first is right at the start. Normally I program in Delphi and there this construction with try ... catch (except in Delphi) would work. But in JavaScript it does not. So the two try ... catch cunstructions should be replaced by:

    endnoteStyle = app.activeDoent.paragraphStyles.item('Endnote') ;
    if (endnoteStyle == null){
    alert('First make a paragraph style Endnote');
    exit();
    }
    markerStyle = app.activeDoent.characterStyles.item('EndnoteMa rker');
    if (markerStyle == null){
    alert('First make a paragraph style Endnote');
    exit();
    }

    Second, the separatortext does not disappear if you convert a footnote to text. Therefore the lines

    separator = app.activeDoent.footnoteOptions.separatorText;
    if (separator == ''){separator = '\u2002'};

    can be deeted, and more importantly the line

    endNote.insertionPoints[0].contents = String(notenumber)+separator;

    should be changed to

    endNote.insertionPoints[0].contents = String(notenumber);

    As nobody seems to use this until now, I will not post a complete new version.

  15. #35

    How does InDesign CS2 handle footnotes created (manually, of course) in InDesign CS? Does CS2 recognize them as footnotes or do I need to go in and designate each one as a footnote? Thanks.
    mayimoomoo@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #36

    There was no way of marking footnotes in CS, so they'll have to be manually designated as footnotes in CS2.

    Click an insertion point where the footnote should occur in the text and choose Type > Insert Footnotes. Your insertion point will now appear in the footnote field at the bottom of the column. Copy your previously created footnote text into the field.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12