Professional Web Applications Themes

For Macintosh network experts!!! - Mac Applications & Software

We are trying to figure out on on of the Microsoft groups I am involved in, why Windows CE devices HPC/PocketPC or Palm PC cannot network to a Macintosh that is using Dave, or OSX. Sometimes allowing my own Windows CE device, and others HPC and Pocket PC devices to access my or others Macs would be good. Windows CE devices with networking capabilities include Pocket PC 2003, and any HPC device using OS 2.x or later, which dates back to 1996. These devices can easily connect to Windows 3.11 to XP PC's. This is what I've been told: "I ...

  1. #1

    Default For Macintosh network experts!!!

    We are trying to figure out on on of the Microsoft groups I am involved in,
    why
    Windows CE devices HPC/PocketPC or Palm PC cannot network to a Macintosh that
    is using Dave, or OSX.
    Sometimes allowing my own Windows CE device, and others HPC and Pocket PC
    devices to access my or others Macs would be good.

    Windows CE devices with networking capabilities include Pocket PC 2003, and
    any
    HPC device using OS 2.x or later, which dates back to 1996. These devices can
    easily connect to Windows 3.11 to XP PC's.

    This is what I've been told:

    "I imagine that its got something to do with the absence of the Windows
    Network client from the Mac.

    Any network requires a layer of items before it can talk:

    Network Interface Card (e.g. Ethernet)
    Network Client (e.g. MS LAN Man, MS Network, Novell, AppleTalk)
    Network Protocol (e.g. TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, NetBEUI)
    File / Print share services
    Directory Service (Optional: e.g. Novell / Active Directory)

    The Network Client and the Protocol must match if two devices are to
    understand each other. The NIC networking type must match (e.g. Ethernet,
    tokenring etc) but the devices can be different. Directory Services are not
    required and without file / print sharing you can't do anything once your
    connected."

    Thanks

    ------------
    Posted with Newsforce for Windows CE
    Vote Bush for President in 2004!
    Vote Arnold Schwarzenegger for CA governor in 2003!

    Spider Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: For Macintosh network experts!!!

    In article <teranews.com>, Spider
    Eyes <net> wrote:

    On Mac OS X the network client for communication with PC's is Samba and
    the network protocol is SMB/CIFS. For SMB Client needs the Mac OS
    provides basic browsing and mounting functions. If you need more
    versitility Objective Development's Sharity will fill the gap.

    --
    Christopher S. Moore
    us

  3. #3

    >They can. I've done both. OS X to Windows CE. DAVE to Windows CE.

    Windows CE cannot act as a network share, it can only connect to network
    drives.

    It may be something wrong with my setup on the Dave side, but its so odd that
    all other Windows PC's can access it including my 98 Laptop, and my Windows CE
    device can access all other windows PC's in the network.

    >This the most pathetic misrepresentation of the 7-layer OSI model I have
    >come across. Why don't you start your reading here:
    >http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/3131/ne/osimodel.html[/ref]

    Well it was given to me by a Windows CE expert. One who helps run the HPC
    factor website and asked me to write for his website.
    --------------
    Vote George W. Bush for President in 2004!
    Vote Arnold Schwarzenegger for California Governor in 2003!

    Leo Guest

  4. #4

    >On Mac OS X the network client for communication with PC's is Samba and

    Yeah I have not tested it with OSX, only a OS 9.x mac using Dave. The CE
    device cannot connect to it, but all other PC's can. But the CE device can
    connect to other PC's.
    --------------

  5. #5

    In article <1g0gxu5.11vezxa1g9g78tN%invalid>,
    invalid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

    > So why did you say Dave or OSX in your original post?[/ref]

    I've been informed by some experts that OSX has been untested. But Dave
    will not work.
    --
    Posted with Newswatcher for Macintosh!

  6. #6

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 14:45:29 GMT,
    Spider Eyes (net) wrote:

    From your original post:

    In other words, we can safely infer that you are a lying . As I
    said before -- you practice deceit, and it comes back to haunt you.

    Why do you have this compulsion to lie?

    Beverly
    P.S. I suggest you read Derek's email v. carefully.
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest

  7. #7

    Spider Eyes <net> wrote:

    Okay, since you clearly haven't the slightest idea what you yourself
    wrote, and just a day ago at that, you said:

    "We are trying to figure out on on of the Microsoft groups I am involved
    in, why Windows CE devices HPC/PocketPC or Palm PC cannot network to a
    Macintosh that is using Dave, or OSX."

    First you said it doesn't work with OSX, now you're saying it hasn't
    been tested. Which one is it? And, more important, how do you think a
    Windows CE problem is relevant to this newsgroup? This isn't even the
    appropriate group for _Mac_ network issues (that would be
    comp.sys.mac.comm, as you should know from all the times Bev has posted
    the comp.sys.mac hierarchy charters).

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Guest

  8. #8

    >Subject: Re: For Macintosh network experts!!!

    >From your original post:

    >In other words, we can safely infer that you are a lying . As I[/ref]

    i am a liar and my diaper is on fire... i amm sorrrry i am suchj a dirty troll
    here, and everyone thinks i am a rtroll. i need to go take my prozack!!

    poopie Guest

  9. #9

    ai am a liar and a big dirty troll, i am sorry guys i am tired of people
    picking on me, because i am such a big bad trolllll.

    >Okay, since you clearly haven't the slightest idea what you yourself
    >wrote, and just a day ago at that, you said:
    >
    >"We are trying to figure out on on of the Microsoft groups I am involved
    >in, why Windows CE devices HPC/PocketPC or Palm PC cannot network to a
    >Macintosh that is using Dave, or OSX."
    >
    >First you said it doesn't work with OSX, now you're saying it hasn't
    >been tested. Which one is it? And, more important, how do you think a
    >Windows CE problem is relevant to this newsgroup? This isn't even the
    >appropriate group for _Mac_ network issues (that would be
    >comp.sys.mac.comm, as you should know from all the times Bev has posted
    >the comp.sys.mac hierarchy charters).
    >
    >--
    >Mike Rosenberg
    >
    ><http://www.macconsult.com>