Professional Web Applications Themes

Force download to a specific directory - Macromedia Dreamweaver

FX Digital ... [url]www.fx-digital.com[/url] wrote: > What I would like to do is to allow people to sign in to a secured area of > my website, and automatically download two files, a html file and a jpg > file. to a specific directory (I need to specify the save directory). > > > > Is this possible first of all possible? > > And if so how do I do it? > > > > Thanks > > > > Steve > > Thankfully you can't do that. Can you imagine the problems that would cause if anyone had ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Force download to a specific directory

    FX Digital ... [url]www.fx-digital.com[/url] wrote:
    > What I would like to do is to allow people to sign in to a secured area of
    > my website, and automatically download two files, a html file and a jpg
    > file. to a specific directory (I need to specify the save directory).
    >

    > Is this possible first of all possible?
    >
    > And if so how do I do it?
    >

    > Thanks
    >

    > Steve

    Thankfully you can't do that. Can you imagine the problems that would
    cause if anyone had that much control over someone's PC? Half the idiots
    on the web would be trying to get people to download and overwrite
    important OS files or to plant viruses in exactly the right places.

    /shudder

    --

    Simon Day
    [url]http://www.clearbluemedia.net[/url]

    Simon Day Guest

  2. #2

    fair enough.........though well written instructions with screenshots should
    work ok...... sure, some people will still not get it right, but even with
    you specifiying the download directory, people will still find a way to mess
    it up

    > We design email stationery (see [url]www.fx-digital.com[/url]) .... and it would help
    > greatly if we could allow customers to login and download there files into
    > the appropriate stationery folder...
    >
    > Sort of making it idiot proof....
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > "Tal" <sleepbethdisordersSoftHome.net> wrote in message
    > > the same would still apply..... you could overwrite someone's important
    > > files if they dont' happen to know they're important files they're about
    > > overright........
    > >
    > > out of curiosity.....why do you want to do this anyway?
    > >

    > > > but I'm not wanting files to download in the background so to
    > > > speak.... I just want people to login and download two files (even if
    > they
    > > > have to click a link to do so)... and have those files download to a
    > > > particular directory... without the user having to enter the
    > directory...
    > > > just confirm the download...
    > > >
    > > > Steve

    Tal Guest

  3. #3

    Why don't you see if you can create an exe file which installs the updated
    doents into the folder you want?
    > Instructions we have, screenshots we have but people don't tend to read
    them
    > and there is always one in an office that says they can't install it....
    > just wondered if there was an easier method is all...
    > > fair enough.........though well written instructions with screenshots
    > should
    > > work ok...... sure, some people will still not get it right, but even
    with
    > > you specifiying the download directory, people will still find a way to
    > mess
    > > it up
    > >

    > > > We design email stationery (see [url]www.fx-digital.com[/url]) .... and it would
    > help
    > > > greatly if we could allow customers to login and download there files
    > into
    > > > the appropriate stationery folder...
    > > >
    > > > Sort of making it idiot proof....
    > important
    > about

    > if
    > > > they
    > > > directory...

    Bob Guest

  4. #4

    I can do that but people are extremely warry of .exe and most corporate
    firewalls, etc., won't let them through... hence my question about the
    download to a particular place...

    FX Digital ... www.fx-digital.com Guest