Professional Web Applications Themes

Form Does Not Mail from Reader - Adobe Acrobat Windows

Hello! I have created a PDF form in Acrobat 6 Pro that has a Submit Form button that is set to send the PDF to an e-mail address. This works OK, but we have two problems: 1. When posted on a web site (on an IIS server), only one person at a time seems to be able to mail it out. 2. When saved locally and opened in Acrobat Reader, an error is produced when the "Submit" button is pressed: "This operation is not permitted." According to the Adobe Acrobat 6 PDF Bible by Ted Padova (Wiley Publishing, 2003), this ...

  1. #1

    Default Form Does Not Mail from Reader

    Hello!

    I have created a PDF form in Acrobat 6 Pro that has a Submit Form button that is set to send the PDF to an e-mail address. This works OK, but we have two problems:

    1. When posted on a web site (on an IIS server), only one person at a time seems to be able to mail it out.

    2. When saved locally and opened in Acrobat Reader, an error is produced when the "Submit" button is pressed: "This operation is not permitted." According to the Adobe Acrobat 6 PDF Bible by Ted Padova (Wiley Publishing, 2003), this should not happen.

    How can either of these issues be resolved?
    eddieedwards@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Form Does Not Mail from Reader

    Your #1 doesn't make sense to me. Can you elaborate a bit? How are you determinging that "only one person at a time seems to be able to mail it out"? How, exactly, have you configured the Submit button?

    George
    George_Johnson@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Sure. We've got the PDF posted on a website reachable at ourdomain.com/form.pdf (not the actual URL). It opens up in a browser just fine via the Acrobat plugin, and more than one user can fill in the form at a time, but it seems as though between the time that someone clicks on "Submit" and the time the e-mail client "Send" button is released, no one else is able to get their mail client to come up.
    The action on the submit button is set to "Submit a form" On Mouse Up. The URL is in mailto format and it will export the PDF. Other than what I described earlier, it works just fine.

    (I'd be happy to share the PDF with you, but I don't want to post the URL here.)

    Thanks,
    Mike
    eddieedwards@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    but it seems as though between the time that someone clicks on "Submit"
    and the time the e-mail client "Send" button is released, no one else
    is able to get their mail client to come up.

    That sounds very odd to me. I can't explain it.

    If this form is intended to be accessed by the general public (or some other large group that you have no control over), then you need to forget the idea of using the mailto scheme. As you've found, it simply doesn't work in many cases, especially for Reader users. It is very unfortunate that this method is suggested in books and even in some materials from Adobe. They should know better.

    As has been stated here many times, what you need to do is set up the web server to accept the form submission and forward it on by e-mail. If you post some details of the web server you're using (i.e., Unix/Apache, Windows/IIS), we can probably direct you to additional information for setting this up. This method is FAR more reliable, flexible, and has the potential to be much more user friendly.

  5. #5

    Thanks for the help! I'm a perl programmer and could probably work this out if it were on Apache, but I'm not so familiar with setting up something like this for the IIS box. Any help in getting started would be appreciated!

    Mike
    eddieedwards@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    On IIS, assuming you'd be using ASP, it's probably easiest if you can use the FDF Toolkit, which is available for free from Adobe ([url]http://partners.adobe.com[/url]). It makes it easy to pluck the FDF from the incoming POST and extract data from it. For a sample ASP, go to <http://www.planetpdf.com> and search for "FDFGateway". The script could use considerable improvement (not a criticism), but it should get you started.

  7. #7

    I'll check it out, but what we're doing requires the entire PDF to be passed around--not just the data.

    Mike
    eddieedwards@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I think we're missing the bigger problem here: Reader cannot submit PDFs via email, period.
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    what we're doing requires the entire PDF to be passed around--not just
    the data.

    Ah, I missed that. Reader cannot submit the complete PDF, as can the full version of Acrobat. If you really need to send the complete filled-in PDF and allow Reader users to fill-in the form, then you'll need additional software running on the server, such as Appligent's FDFMerge (or FDFMergeLite). Otherwise, consider if it really is a requirement. In many cases, having just the data (in FDF) is sufficient since it can easily be imported into a form and saved by the recipient. Normally, when the recipient launches the FDF attachment, the corresponding PDF will load and automatically populate the fields with the data in the FDF.

  10. #10

    I was under the impression that if the user has Acrobat Reader and *saves the PDF locally*, then they should be able to open the PDF and have the mailto: action work properly. That isn't what appears to be happening.
    eddieedwards@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Again:

    Reader cannot submit a PDF file via email. Period.
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Reader 6 (but not prior versions) -- running outside of a browser -- is capable of submitting the form data to a web server. You have a good chance for success if you follow this route.

    Reader cannot submit the entire PDF and you will have no end of problems if you attempt to use the mailto scheme.

  13. #13

    W T: Sorry, I thought you were pointing out the problem earlier, as opposed to stating a fact.
    Crud. I would have rather seen us produce a straightforward HTML form page and use that, but this task landed in my lap and short of strating over, I've got to try getting the PDF route to work. It would be easier for me to code this up as a CGI script, so I guess I can point the Submit URL to perl script on a Linux box. Just need to finger out how to deal with an incoming PDF.

    Thanks for your help, guys!
    eddieedwards@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Just need to finger out how to deal with an incoming PDF.

    You need to figure out how to deal with an incoming FDF (or XFDF), not PDF. Fortunately, it's very simple. The entire contents of the POST is the complete FDF. All you need to do it attach it to an e-mail message. If you'd be interested in a ready-made Perl script for a nominal charge, feel free to contact me offlist.

  15. #15

    You can have the PDF act just like an HTML form, so you can use any existing HTML form data processing scripts.
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Here's a very ugly hack that gets me halfway there. The script is loaded in cgi-bin and the PDF Submit button points to it. It creates a valid PDF file in /tmp. It sounds like I could just use the FDF route, but at this point, I don't see a need to install the FDF Toolkit.

    #!/usr/bin/perl -wT

    use strict;

    my $input;
    read ( STDIN, $input, $ENV{CONTENT_LENGTH} ) == $ENV{CONTENT_LENGTH}
    or return undef;

    open FH, ">/tmp/foo.pdf" or die "Can't open /tmp/foo.pdf: $!\n";
    print FH $input;
    close FH;

    eddieedwards@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    OK, I'm only going to say it one more time, so I'll do it slowly.

    Reader...cannot...submit, email, or otherwise transmit...filled-out...PDF...files/forms.

    Reader can: submit form data (the data only, not the PDF file itself) in FDF, XFDF, or HTML-form style.
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    eddieedwards@adobeforums.com Guest
    Moderated Post

  19. #19

    Not sure why it's even an option then.

    Well, it is an option if the form has gone through ADSRE and is 'enabled', but that's a different thread.
    MarkATS@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest