Professional Web Applications Themes

Form Storage - MySQL

Right Now I have a mysql backend of a really basic webpage that I am storing the login ID and password, just two fields. How would I store whole accounts ie name address description, paragraphs of info? It would seem to me that I could not store that in an MySql DB. If so how and what other tool should I use? thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Form Storage

    Right Now I have a mysql backend of a really basic webpage that I am
    storing the login ID and password, just two fields.

    How would I store whole accounts ie name address description,
    paragraphs of info? It would seem to me that I could not store that in
    an MySql DB. If so how and what other tool should I use?

    thanks

    Seth Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Form Storage

    On 9 Aug 2006 06:06:22 -0700, "Seth" <king.seth>
    wrote:
    > Right Now I have a mysql backend of a really basic webpage
    > that I am storing the login ID and password, just two fields.
    >
    > How would I store whole accounts ie name address description,
    > paragraphs of info? It would seem to me that I could not
    > store that in an MySql DB.
    There is no reason not to. All information regarding a loginID
    which is 1 to 1 with that ID _should_ be stored in that same
    account table (normalisation).

    Only info that is many to 1 to loginID should be stored in
    another table, with a foreign key to loginID in the account
    table. I don't know what you mean by paragraphs here.
    > If so how and what other tool should I use?
    A MySQL can store any info. Actually it is much easier to handle
    than storing in plain files.
    >thanks
    YW, HTH
    Kees Nuyt Guest

  3. #3

    >> Right Now I have a mysql backend of a really basic webpage
    >> that I am storing the login ID and password, just two fields.
    >>
    >> How would I store whole accounts ie name address description,
    >> paragraphs of info? It would seem to me that I could not
    >> store that in an MySql DB.
    Add more fields.
    >There is no reason not to. All information regarding a loginID
    >which is 1 to 1 with that ID _should_ be stored in that same
    >account table (normalisation).
    Just because you *CAN* store videos in a MySQL data field mean
    that you should. Factors that work against putting almost 4GB into
    a MySQL field (longblob) include increased buffer requirements, the
    amount of disk space needed to edit such a field, and lack of random
    access to the data. File systems *are* better at storing some
    objects.
    >Only info that is many to 1 to loginID should be stored in
    >another table, with a foreign key to loginID in the account
    >table. I don't know what you mean by paragraphs here.
    Think about storing the article you posted (or any USENET article
    or email message) into a text field. Type 'text' would be good for
    reasonably short messages (up to 64k or so).

    >> If so how and what other tool should I use?
    >
    >A MySQL can store any info. Actually it is much easier to handle
    >than storing in plain files.
    I don't know of any image editor that will out-of-the-box store the
    image into a database field, or that will let you preview an image
    stored in a database field without having to make a copy of it
    first. The same goes for videos, executable code, and other such
    files. You can't use them in place.

    Gordon L. Burditt
    Gordon Burditt Guest

  4. #4

    Seth wrote:
    > Right Now I have a mysql backend of a really basic webpage that I am
    > storing the login ID and password, just two fields.
    >
    > How would I store whole accounts ie name address description,
    > paragraphs of info? It would seem to me that I could not store that in
    > an MySql DB. If so how and what other tool should I use?
    >
    > thanks

    Seth,

    MySQL (or any RDB, for that matter) is just a storage engine. It's
    different from a file system in the way it stores data, but they both
    just store bytes.

    The difference is in the file system you basically have one file which
    contains a lot of information. You could have a file for name, another
    for address, a third for city, etc. - but it would be a tremendous waste
    of space (file systems require 1 block - 512 bytes minimum for each file).

    A RDB can store all of this information in different columns, including
    text or blob columns for large amounts of data.

    I suggest you do a little reading on RDB theory before you go any
    her, and get an idea as to what RDB's like MySQL are good for, and
    what they aren't (no, they aren't good for everything!). Then you can
    get a better feel for how you want to design your system.

    And once you've got some theory background, some of your questions will
    become more self-evident.

    --
    Remove the "x" from my email address