Professional Web Applications Themes

Found: One source of a MAJOR Fireworks 2004 slowdown - Macromedia Fireworks

I have been reading about some folks who have been posting about some users experiencing major slowdowns in FW2004 ever since it hit the streets. And since Macromedia claims to be unable to reproduce this... and since it happened to me upon finally upgrading to 2004 yesterday... and since I use FW as a bread & butter application... and since I've remedied the problem... I thought I'd share what it took HOURS of my time to discover. SYSTEM Dual 2.0Ghz G5 - 1Gb RAM & 160Gb HD. Running Panther 10.3.2 Fastest Mac. Latest OS. This system screams. Normally. DESCRIPTION OF ...

  1. #1

    Default Found: One source of a MAJOR Fireworks 2004 slowdown

    I have been reading about some folks who have been posting about some users
    experiencing major slowdowns in FW2004 ever since it hit the streets.

    And since Macromedia claims to be unable to reproduce this...
    and since it happened to me upon finally upgrading to 2004 yesterday...
    and since I use FW as a bread & butter application...
    and since I've remedied the problem...
    I thought I'd share what it took HOURS of my time to discover.

    SYSTEM
    Dual 2.0Ghz G5 - 1Gb RAM & 160Gb HD. Running Panther 10.3.2
    Fastest Mac. Latest OS. This system screams. Normally.

    DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM
    Generally slow. It consistently took *8 seconds* for FW to become active
    when switching to it from another application. Using keystrokes to nudge
    objects in even simple projects took seconds to move. The entire app was
    just painfully slow. It lacked interactivity to the point where it was
    unusable for production work.

    SUMMARY OF FINDINGS
    There is a relationship between the responsiveness of FW and the size and
    complexity of the Dreamweaver Site Prefs file. Yes, really.

    On Mac OS X, in the user's folder, under:
    Library:Application Support:Macromedia:Common:2004
    there is a file called "Site Prefs" I assume there is a corresponding file
    under Windows, but I couldn't specify its location.

    This is a text file, and contains all the website configuration information
    specified within Dreamweaver. I'd been using DW for many years, and had
    about 60 sites configured. This file, as created upon installation of DWMX
    2004, was 644KB and had more than 34,000 lines of text.

    With that file present, FW lagged upon loading, upon switching to it from
    another app. With the file removed, switching to FW happens instantly and
    while I've not spent much time in the app to see if a ulative slowdown
    occurs with use, general slow behavior I'd been seeing even upon starting FW
    is no longer present.

    I don't dare conjecture why this would be. I'm just reporting the facts. I
    should note that this system can do significant amounts of heavy-lifting in
    the 8 seconds it took just to activate the app!

    REMEDY
    Since I wasn't about to give up working with multiple sites under DW, I
    thought I'd try exporting the sites from DWMX, deleting the "Site Prefs"
    file, and importing them into DW 2004.

    This eliminated the 8 second lag... although there's still about a 1 second
    lag in selecting FW.

    The resulting file is much smaller than the one generated by my DW 2004
    install (I did remove a few ancient and inactive clients): 212K, just under
    10,000 lines of text.

    I have a bad feeling that as I work with DW, with time the file will begin
    to bloat and I may again see this kind of slowdown in FW. <sigh>
    Alternately, there may have been something specific in the original file
    that was at issue.

    ---
    I discovered this after a long process of removing my font manager (and
    virtually all my fonts), killing daemons (and running no other apps) and
    disabling my firewall, network settings, repairing file permissions,
    scuttling preferences files all to no avail.

    I created a new user account on my machine... and found that FW 2004
    actually could have reasonable performance on my machine.

    Through an extensive process of moving files from one account to the other,
    I finally discovered this issue.

    I hope this helps someone else. I suspect it will.

    --
    Miles Kurland

    Miles Guest

  2. #2

    Miles:

    That's very good detective work.

    But for the record, I have never seen Macromedia make the claim that you
    attribute to them.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Miles Kurland" <nospam.com> wrote in message
    users

    Murray Guest

  3. #3

    "Murray *TMM*" wrote:

    Well, for the record... here's a quote form the Fireworks Emerging Issues
    page.

    From this page:
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/fireworks/ts/doents/emerging_issues.htm

    --
    Miles Kurland

    Miles Guest

  4. #4

    Miles:

    All that link says is that the reports that have been submitted to MM have
    not been reproduced by MM.

    Systematic investigation, as you have done, is the only way to begin to
    define the nature of these problems. I am hopeful that it will help MM and
    others deal with the issues that they have been having.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575

    > Well, for the record... here's a quote form the Fireworks Emerging Issues
    > page.
    > [/ref]
    operations [/ref]
    users [/ref]