Professional Web Applications Themes

FoxPro vs. SQL - MySQL

Hello everyone, My company uses a FoxPro database right now as an interface and a database. For our situation, I have come to the conclusion that it would be a better choice for us to move to an SQL server of some sort. I have been given the task of overseeing the overhaul on the program. I am paranoid about security and uptime, and so is the CEO and there is more and more demand for the company to get on the interactive internet. I'd like our clients to be able to submit data to our database and pull data ...

  1. #1

    Default FoxPro vs. SQL

    Hello everyone,
    My company uses a FoxPro database right now as an interface
    and a database. For our situation, I have come to the conclusion that
    it would be a better choice for us to move to an SQL server of some
    sort. I have been given the task of overseeing the overhaul on the
    program. I am paranoid about security and uptime, and so is the CEO and
    there is more and more demand for the company to get on the interactive
    internet. I'd like our clients to be able to submit data to our
    database and pull data from it (only certain data of course). My idea
    is to convert the FP tables to and SQL server and write an internal
    application(or web-based - advantages? I dunno) for the interface. For
    the internet side of things, my idea is to have seperate web database
    (SQL) that will put information from web clients. Through the internal
    interface, internal users would then be able to pull data from the web
    database to the internal SQL. And through the internet (authenticated
    of course), the web users would pull data though the web database, who
    pulls information from the internal SQL database. Would someone please
    tear this idea apart w/ advantages and disadvantages. Also, if this is
    the best route, tell me how I can sell this idea to my boss. What's so
    good about using SQL vs. FP over the internet? What about internally?
    What about security? Cost is going to place a big role on the what the
    CEO decides, unless I can sell him otherwise. Should I tell him that we
    shouldn't do it now and save some money to do it right? Or what? Some
    help please. Thanks.

    Alex

    Alex Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: FoxPro vs. SQL

    Alex S wrote:

    Please read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    I think you may have broken every rule in the book. It's hard to say
    because there is no way I'm going to read that massive chunk of text
    above. Please read about cross posting.

    Lionel.
    Lionel Guest

  3. #3

    Lionel <com> wrote:
     [/ref]

    If not, he has hit a lot of them.

    As a FoxPro programmer, let me add that he did not post to a
    FoxPro group either. Depending on version, he may be able to move his
    tables to another DBMS, get the benefit of that DBMS's security, and
    still use the existing app.

    Sincerely,

    Gene Wirchenko

    Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:
    I have preferences.
    You have biases.
    He/She has prejudices.
    Gene Guest

  4. #4

    "Alex S" <com> wrote in message

    Google.com.

    "FoxPro versus SQL Server".

    Microsoft's recommendation is #1:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro/productinfo/faq/default.aspx ("FoxPro is a
    developer tool, SQL Server is a database engine").

    You might also try Googling "Migrating FoxPro to SQL Server", "FoxPro SQL
    Server Security", etc. Here's another link about "Building VFP Apps for SQL
    Server": http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=174330&rl=1

    I'm no VFP developer, but apparently the two don't have to be mutually
    exclusive. In fact MS seems to recommend using SQL Server as a back-end for
    VFP, because SQL Server provides "security, reliability, tion, and
    many other features of a full relational database engine" while VFP "does
    not have many of those features."

    Mike Guest

  5. #5

    (reply to a subset of all the originally used newsgroups)

    Let me start I have never worked with Foxpro directly. Only had to use
    tables in another system (MS-Access).

    Off course, the major difference between the databases is that Foxpro is
    a filesystem database and MySQL is a server database. That means that in
    foxpro, you "have" the tables, the structure, and low-level access to
    it. You can use DAO or other libraries to directly access the table
    without the overhead of creating and parsing SQL.

    This means that filesystem databases are awfully fast, if programmed
    correctly (but that is hardly ever done, as filesystem databases are
    often used as toys for non-programmers). The drawback is that everybody
    can have his own database. It does not enforce or even push data to be
    central.
    Accessing records individually is a lightweight operation, as you have a
    low level access to the tables and indexes.

    You don't "have" a database server. You can get a connection and that's
    it. Whatever you can do with that connection is determined by the
    server. Database servers generally have more security options than
    filesystem databases. Database servers are generally centralized: they
    run on a dedicated machine with a fixed address and special care is
    taken to ensure as much uptime and quality as possible.
    Accessing records individually is not exactly a lightweight operation
    with server databases: You have to write a "program" in SQL that is
    usually longer than the data you expect to return, this program is then
    sent over a network, pd by the server, optimized by the server, and
    the results are sent back. So when working with a server, you try to as
    much as you can in batches. If you want to access records individually,
    stored procedures can take away some of the above.

    Programming a database right is very much dependent on the type
    (filesystem / server) and even the brand. With every database I know of
    you can get good results, but you have to use them wisely.

    Best regards
    Dikkie Guest

  6. #6

    Hi Alex,

    As Mike said, you can use Visual FoxPro as a front end to SQL Server. Read
    about Client/Server Solution Development in the VFP Help.

    As far as cost goes, depending on the volume of data you have, you may be
    able to use SQL Express which is free. If you stick with VFP as the front
    end you are likely to need less (re)programming time than writing a whole
    new app.

    If you do write a whole new app then it's a good time to re-assess the app
    itself and determine if requirements have changed.

    --
    Cindy Winegarden MCSD, Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
    com

    "Alex S" <com> wrote in message

    Cindy Guest

  7. #7

    Cindy Winegarden wrote:

    Was there a really need to cross-post to so many unrelated newsgroups
    even after the counter-productiveness of cross-posting has been pointed
    out and after someone has already pointed out that "google is your friend" ?

    (Microsoft's Most Vociferous People are such tedious drones.)
    Bob Guest

  8. #8

    Alex,
    I was using foxpro earlier. Now I am using Sql. I should say it is
    much more stable and efficient. I developed a package for the
    company now I am working with. This is a job oriented company. I
    designed a package having provisions for Enquiry Received,Enq.Sent,
    Quotation sent, LPO for Jobwork/purchase Issued, Job Received Record,
    Invoicing, Stock and Accounts all together. I think it is because of
    SQL/Vb/Crystal Report, I made it possible. If it is to be developed in
    foxpro, I think it will be hard task. I am managing the entire office
    with my software. I dont know much about the readymade packages
    available in the market. Any how their products will be much
    powerful. This is because of wide possibility of Sql. I can
    highly recommed you to go for Sql platform. Comparatively, it is
    away from normal virous threats. As it is a new platform, and I
    myself hasn't yet made it whole into a complete covered package, I am
    handling it somewhat in database level. This is too risky. If you
    are going for a readymade package it will be full covered. I haven't
    yet utilised internet posibilities of it. Yes it is possible.

    Ferdinant

    nallengara@yahoo.com Guest

  9. #9

    nallengara@yahoo.com Guest

  10. #10

    "Alex S" <com> wrote:

    There are several things that would help us provide an answer.

    Volumes of data. Number of transactions per second/hour/day. Preferred
    operating system. Deficiencies of your present system - what are they?
    How do they impact on your business? How much RAM does your server
    have? Current server configuration. Do you have hardware plans also?

    My own personal choice would be to invest in Dephi as the front end
    and then use Firebird and/or PostgreSQL as the backend. Both of these
    open source dbs will run on minimal hardware and a variety of
    operating systems and are very powerful and have paid support
    available if required, often by the very people who write the dbs in
    the first place.

    There are any number of free development environments out there also.

    Paul...

    --

    plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

    XP Pro, SP 2,

    Oracle, 9.2.0.1.0 (Enterprise Ed.)
    Interbase 6.0.1.0;

    When asking database related questions, please give other posters
    some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
    The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't work!").
    Thanks.

    Furthermore, as a courtesy to those who spend
    time ysing and attempting to help, please
    do not top post.
    Paul Guest

  11. #11

    There is also TurboDelphi which is a free version
    of delphi .
    You can use it as the dfront end .
    Enjoy
    ec

    "Paul" <my.sig.com> ???
    ??????:com...

    > There are several things that would help us provide an answer.
    >
    > Volumes of data. Number of transactions per second/hour/day. Preferred
    > operating system. Deficiencies of your present system - what are they?
    > How do they impact on your business? How much RAM does your server
    > have? Current server configuration. Do you have hardware plans also?
    >

    > My own personal choice would be to invest in Dephi as the front end
    > and then use Firebird and/or PostgreSQL as the backend. Both of these
    > open source dbs will run on minimal hardware and a variety of
    > operating systems and are very powerful and have paid support
    > available if required, often by the very people who write the dbs in
    > the first place.
    >

    > There are any number of free development environments out there also.
    >

    > Paul...
    >

    > --
    >
    > plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__
    >
    > XP Pro, SP 2,
    >
    > Oracle, 9.2.0.1.0 (Enterprise Ed.)
    > Interbase 6.0.1.0;
    >
    > When asking database related questions, please give other posters
    > some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
    > The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't
    > work!").
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Furthermore, as a courtesy to those who spend
    > time ysing and attempting to help, please
    > do not top post.[/ref]

    ec Guest

  12. #12

    Alex,

    This post might be too late for you but I am the owner of a database company
    that began in VFP and now is in both VFP and SQL. It's a MASSIVE
    undertaking - far more expensive that you will even budget in your wildest
    dreams. MS will tell you lots of things work but depending on how you did
    your work in VFP then you might be looking for a tall building to jump from.
    The leap to SQL was good once we got there however getting there nearly
    killed us all. If you or your CEO would like to contact me directly I will
    be happy to give 10 - 15 minutes of advice.

    Chris (com)

    "Alex S" <com> wrote in message

    Chris Guest

  13. #13

    I worked several FoxPro jobs with similar problems,
    in converting it to an SQL server.

    The first step, of course, is to create a database
    diagram - and they (all of 'em) flat-out could NOT
    get through that.

    I finally came to the conclusion that the only way
    to do it is to, behind the current IT group's back,
    hire someone to reverse engineer what's in place.

    Technically - it's totally doable if you stick to
    the academics of software architecture.
    Politically - it's a nightmare because FoxPro folks
    tend not to GET server-based SQL.

    Chris Marsh wrote:

    >[/ref]
    Sanders Guest