Professional Web Applications Themes

frames and pop ups in fw. mx./dw .mx. - Macromedia Fireworks

SYS: win xp, fw mx, dw mx. Is it possible to have a page divided in to 2 frames (top and main frame), and have the pop up menus in the top frame rolll over (or show) on the main frame). So that I can have my logo and navigation bar in the top frame without having to put it in every single page/main frame? The problem is that the pop ups are not shown entirely because they stop at the border of the top frame. So again how to make pop ups in the top frame overlap the main ...

  1. #1

    Default frames and pop ups in fw. mx./dw .mx.

    SYS: win xp, fw mx, dw mx.

    Is it possible to have a page divided in to 2 frames (top and main frame), and have the pop up menus in the top frame rolll over (or show) on the main frame).

    So that I can have my logo and navigation bar in the top frame without having to put it in every single page/main frame? The problem is that the pop ups are not shown entirely because they stop at the border of the top frame.

    So again how to make pop ups in the top frame overlap the main frame (the frame beneath the top).

    Hope that was understandable.

    Please help anyone.

    ALl the best

    krb100 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: frames and pop ups in fw. mx./dw .mx.

    krb:

    You can do this, but it's not a recommended solution. Why? Because now you
    take the heavy code load out of the top frame (where it loads only once) and
    you put it into each of the bottom frame pages (where it loads every time).
    Since you probably chose to use frames in the first place to avoid this kind
    of thing (a specious argument, by the way) it kinda defeats your purpose.

    The reason for using or not using frames should be based on a) your site's
    needs, and b) your willingness to accept the potential problems that frames
    can create for you as developer and maintainer of the site and for your
    visitors as casual users of the site.

    I am down on frames because I believe that they create many more problems
    than they solve.
    Judging from the posts here, and the kinds of problems that are described,
    the kind of person most likely to elect to use frames is also the kind of
    person most likely ill-prepared fo solve the ensuing problems when they
    arise. If you feel a) that you understand the problems and b) that you are
    prepared to handle them when they occur, and c) that you have a need to use
    frames, then by all means use them.

    As far as I know, the most comprehensive discussions of frames and their
    potential problems can be found on these two links -

    http://apptools.com/rants/framesevil.php
    http://www.MadCoWWWebDesign.com/go/?2

    There is no practical way to make a layer (that's how pop-up menus work)
    cross the boundary between two separate frames (i.e., two unique HTML
    pages).

    It is true. Your choices are limited now -

    1. DUMP THE FRAMES - you would not be having this problem in a non-framed
    site.
    2. Redesign your menus so that they do not need to span a frame boundary.
    3. Redesign the frameset so that you leave enough room for the largest
    popup.
    4. Move the layer code for the popups from the page in the navigation frame
    to each page in the content frame.
    5. DUMP THE FRAMES - you would not be having this problem in a non-framed
    site.

    I recommend either #1 or #5, depending on what your needs are. You just
    have no idea the horrors that await you if you continue with the frames and
    the pop-ups.....
    8)

    While you're at it, dump the pop-ups too. Then you would be cooking with
    gas!

    For alternative methods, see these two tutorials -

    http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/menuing/mcloser/index.htm

    or

    http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/auto_hide/index.htm

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "krb100" <com> wrote in message
    and have the pop up menus in the top frame rolll over (or show) on the main
    frame).
    having to put it in every single page/main frame? The problem is that the
    pop ups are not shown entirely because they stop at the border of the top
    frame.
    frame beneath the top).

    Murray Guest

  3. #3

    Murray:

    I advise you to look at the MadCow link. You might want to delete/change
    that (soon) as is stated on the page.

    Coen

    Coen Guest

  4. #4