Professional Web Applications Themes

Frames, when are they useful? - Macromedia Fireworks

There's been a lot of antipathy against frames, and I know they are wrought with problems. But is there a moment when frames actually have a function? Are there websites where you say: "Now here's someone who knows how to use frames properly." I myself rather like to use frames as it keeps the navigation menu available without having to scroll to the top of the page to access them. (I personally always forget to click on the "top" link many pages provide). Looking forward to hear your opinions. The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe ...

  1. #1

    Default Frames, when are they useful?

    There's been a lot of antipathy against frames, and I know they are wrought with problems. But is there a moment when frames actually have a function? Are there websites where you say: "Now here's someone who knows how to use frames properly."

    I myself rather like to use frames as it keeps the navigation menu available without having to scroll to the top of the page to access them. (I personally always forget to click on the "top" link many pages provide).

    Looking forward to hear your opinions.

    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    - Calvin & Hobbes

    visit The Foreigner - Japan
    EelcoH Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Frames, when are they useful?

    "EelcoH" com wrote:

    That would be an excellent question for the Dreamweaver forum, as the
    only thing you can do with frames in Fireworks is create animations, and
    such. Fireworks cannot create HTML frame sets.

    Linda Rathgeber
    Design Aid: 10-Palette Pack for Fireworks & Flash
    http://www.webdevbiz.com/graphics.cfm
    Playing with Fire | http://www.playingwithfire.com
    Victoriana | Theme Pack 03 - Club | http://www.projectseven.com
    Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | www.macromedia.com/go/team

    Linda Guest

  3. #3

    "EelcoH" <com> wrote in message

    available without having to scroll to the top of the page to access them. (I
    personally always forget to click on the "top" link many pages provide).
    Despite this rather insignificant "benefit", and the fact that it wastes
    valuable space, the main result of using frames is that no one can bookmark
    any given page to return to it in the future. Do you really want to torture
    your users like this?

    Laurie

    Laurie Guest

  4. #4

    Yes, I'm an evil person ;)

    True, this is a problem... but you can cover this by creating a JS bookmark link...

    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    - Calvin &amp; Hobbes

    visit The Foreigner - Japan
    EelcoH Guest

  5. #5

    Folks:

    Before you answer, check the middling thread on the DW forum. I think most
    of the uses have been covered there....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575

    "EelcoH" <com> wrote in message
    wrought with problems. But is there a moment when frames actually have a
    function? Are there websites where you say: "Now here's someone who knows
    how to use frames properly."
    available without having to scroll to the top of the page to access them. (I
    personally always forget to click on the "top" link many pages provide).
    that none of it has tried to contact us.

    Murray Guest