Professional Web Applications Themes

Free FTP space somewhere? - Mac Networking

Looking for FTP space to put a few files up for friends. My ISP has changed its servers and now only allows HTTP pages to be served up. I know I can build a web page with links to the files, but I'd rather just have some place to FTP them and provide friends with a URL. These aren't anything real secure, so I don't care who has access to them. Are there any providers of such space freely available? Thanks, -- DaveC net This is an invalid return address Please reply in the news group...

  1. #1

    Default Free FTP space somewhere?

    --
    DaveC
    net
    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group

    DaveC Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Free FTP space somewhere?

    Kirk Guest

  3. #3

    DaveC wrote:

    I doubt it. The warez dudes would fill them up with videos
    and mp3s almost immediately, and then the throughput demands
    would become so great that the servers would have to be shut
    down after a few days.
    George Guest

  4. #4

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 09:10:05 -0700, Kirk Strauser wrote
    (in article <com>):

    I can't get the files uploaded because the server won't talk to my FTP
    program.

  5. #5

    DaveC wrote:

    Try Fugu or Interarchy.
    George Guest

  6. #6

    On 2004-05-24, DaveC <net> wrote:

    > I can't get the files uploaded because the server won't talk to my FTP
    > program.[/ref]

    Have you played with your FTP settings. Usually, but not always,
    changing the "passive" setting will get the server and FTP client to
    play nice together. Try setting the passive setting to ON/YES/OK or
    somesuch. It may then work.

    --
    e-Mail: chris at cwaiken dot net
    Home: www.cwaiken.net

    Christopher Guest

  7. #7

    Kirk Guest

  8. #8

    In article <individual.net>,
    DaveC <net> wrote:

    > I can't get the files uploaded because the server won't talk to my FTP
    > program.[/ref]

    So the ISP gives you web space, but doesn't provide a way for you to
    upload files to it?

    --
    Barry Margolin, mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  9. #9

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 11:40:04 -0700, Kirk Strauser wrote
    (in article <com>):

    Firewall settings are always important, but we've changed nothing between the
    time when we were able to upload/access FTP space on the ISP's server (about
    a month ago), and now, when we can't. The ISP has changed much in their
    servers (changed mail server names, etc.), with no prior warning, which
    causes no end of frustration.

    I'll try the "passive" settings, etc.

    Covad is the name of the ISP, btw.

    Thanks,

  10. #10

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:58:20 -0700, Barry Margolin wrote
    (in article <dca.giganews.com>):

    Oops... I *can* upload files, but I can't access the directory I put them in
    using my web browser. If it doesn't have an index.htm(l) page in the
    directory, I'm forbidden access to it. When I specify a directory using my
    browser, I get

    "You don't have permission to access /~tmcenter/peninsula/ on this server."

    This is a restriction of the server, not my browser, right?

    Yes, I know I can build a web page with a link to the file, but I just want
    some ftp space somewhere.

    Thanks,

  11. #11

    In article <individual.net>,
    DaveC <net> wrote:

    [...]

    Yes. It's configured to not allow directory listing.

    That doesn't mean you cannot change that. If the admin allows it (which
    IMO should be the case with a decent ISP), you can override that (per
    directory if you want) with .htaccess. See the Apache doentation
    (assuming Apache :)).

    [I'd suggest Follow-ups to go to the approprite group in the
    comp.infosystems.www.servers.* hierarchy.]

    --
    Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/>

    Mac user: "Macs only have 40 viruses, tops!"
    PC user: "SEE! Not even the virus writers support Macs!"
    Sander Guest

  12. #12

    Keep an eye on the Gmail status over at google.com. They are saying that
    each user will have 1Gig of storage for free.

    Other wise look for a deal on a .mac account.
    Less than $10 a month for 100mbs of space.
    Maybe you can find a nice soul who would sublet some space. I know several
    people who don't even use the space.
    MY2

    in article individual.net, DaveC at

    George Guest

  13. #13

    Kirk Guest

  14. #14

    George Tedrick wrote:

    My feeling is that Google will not allow http or ftp
    access to the files on their gmail servers. If they
    do, this would be an huge, unexpected new source of
    warez files storage and transfer that they would be very
    stupid to allow.
    George Guest

  15. #15

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 16:55:06 -0700, Kirk Strauser wrote
    (in article <com>):

    Dood. It does.

    So I can't give them a directory, but I can give them a complete URL to a
    file. Better than nothin'. It works for a file, but for a folder full of them
    I'll have to build a web page to display them or their URLs.

    Thanks!

  16. #16

    In article <BCD7F0D3.6930%net>,
    George Tedrick <net> wrote:

    That's not web space, is it? I thought that was just storage of
    archived email.

    --
    Barry Margolin, mit.edu
    Arlington, MA