Professional Web Applications Themes

Free news server I can access with DSL - Mac Applications & Software

Hello all. I am on Tiscali's DSL. I can access Tiscali's news server (27K NGs), news.CIS.DFN.DE (less than 23K NGs, need registration) and news.wooow.it (40K NGs, free but read-only). I use MacSoup as preferred NG reader, and it is a single-server app.; I would like to find a larger news server that contains the majority - if not all - the NGs that I can only get via the 3 different servers, using different apps. So can any of you supply me the name of other free news servers where I can post, and that contain high numbers of NG?...

  1. #1

    Default Free news server I can access with DSL

    Hello all.

    I am on Tiscali's DSL.

    I can access Tiscali's news server (27K NGs), news.CIS.DFN.DE (less than
    23K NGs, need registration) and news.wooow.it (40K NGs, free but
    read-only).

    I use MacSoup as preferred NG reader, and it is a single-server app.; I
    would like to find a larger news server that contains the majority - if
    not all - the NGs that I can only get via the 3 different servers, using
    different apps.

    So can any of you supply me the name of other free news servers where I
    can post, and that contain high numbers of NG?
    MatFox Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Free news server I can access with DSL

    MatFox <MatteoXYZ1963excite.it> wrote:
    > Hello all.
    >
    > I am on Tiscali's DSL.
    >
    > I can access Tiscali's news server (27K NGs), news.CIS.DFN.DE (less than
    > 23K NGs, need registration) and news.wooow.it (40K NGs, free but
    > read-only).
    >
    > I use MacSoup as preferred NG reader, and it is a single-server app.; I
    > would like to find a larger news server that contains the majority - if
    > not all - the NGs that I can only get via the 3 different servers, using
    > different apps.
    >
    > So can any of you supply me the name of other free news servers where I
    > can post, and that contain high numbers of NG?
    Google.

    --
    Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, OSOS#5 - BMW K100RS 8v, Honda Concerto 16v
    Windows free zone (Mac G3)

  3. #3

    Andy Hewitt <hairy.bikerspamcop.net> wrote:

    > Google.
    I don't think it's a news server :-/
    MatFox Guest

  4. #4

    MatFox <MatteoXYZ1963excite.it> wrote:
    > Andy Hewitt <hairy.bikerspamcop.net> wrote:
    >

    > > Google.
    > I don't think it's a news server :-/
    Think again.

    <[url]http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=comp.sys[/url].
    mac.misc&btnG=Google+Search&meta=>

    --
    Pd
    PeterD Guest

  5. #5

    In article <1fycda3.yv6wed1lu0ohuN%MatteoXYZ1963excite.it> ,
    [email]MatteoXYZ1963excite.it[/email] (MatFox) wrote:
    > Hello all.
    >
    > I am on Tiscali's DSL.
    >
    > I can access Tiscali's news server (27K NGs), news.CIS.DFN.DE (less than
    > 23K NGs, need registration) and news.wooow.it (40K NGs, free but
    > read-only).
    >
    > I use MacSoup as preferred NG reader, and it is a single-server app.; I
    > would like to find a larger news server that contains the majority - if
    > not all - the NGs that I can only get via the 3 different servers, using
    > different apps.
    >
    > So can any of you supply me the name of other free news servers where I
    > can post, and that contain high numbers of NG?
    NNTP access that is reliable is rarely (if ever) free. I use
    MT-Newswatcher with two specific services (one with my ISP and on I pay
    for. Try MT-Newswatcher, I think you are dealing with a software
    limitation.
    Ross Winn Guest

  6. #6

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 11:43:08 +0200, [email]MatteoXYZ1963excite.it[/email] (MatFox)
    said:
    >I can access Tiscali's news server (27K NGs), news.CIS.DFN.DE (less than
    >23K NGs, need registration) and news.wooow.it (40K NGs, free but
    >read-only).
    >
    >I use MacSoup as preferred NG reader, and it is a single-server app...
    Install leafnode, use it to slurp news from as many servers as you
    like, point Macsoup at leafnode.

    --
    David Cantrell | [url]http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david[/url]
    David Cantrell Guest

  7. #7

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 21:04:21 +0100, [email]pd.newsdsl.pipex.inva[/email]lid (PeterD)
    said:
    >MatFox <MatteoXYZ1963excite.it> wrote:
    >> Andy Hewitt <hairy.bikerspamcop.net> wrote:
    >>> Google.
    >> I don't think it's a news server :-/
    >Think again.
    >
    ><[url]http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=comp.sys[/url].
    >mac.misc&btnG=Google+Search&meta=>
    That looks like a web page to me. Think again.

  8. #8

    Terry McDanel <tmcdanelNO.iname.SPAM.com> wrote:

    > I have not heard of these two. Do you have a link that has server
    > setup info, registration info, etc.?
    >
    > Tiscali's news server
    No idea, but it's only for Tiscali DSL clients.
    > news.wooow.it
    No need to register or anything: just type news.wooow.it into the news
    server's name area and fetch all the groups!
    MatFox Guest

  9. #9

    David Cantrell <usenetbarnyard.co.uk> wrote:

    > Install leafnode, use it to slurp news from as many servers as you
    > like, point Macsoup at leafnode.
    Sounds interesting, but where can I get it from? Doesn't exist on
    versiontracker nor on macupdate.

    MatFox Guest

  10. #10

    http//www.leafnode.org/ is the first result returned by google.

  11. #11

    MatFox <MatteoXYZ1963excite.it> wrote:
    > Hello all.
    >
    > I am on Tiscali's DSL.
    >
    > I can access Tiscali's news server (27K NGs), news.CIS.DFN.DE (less than
    > 23K NGs, need registration) and news.wooow.it (40K NGs, free but
    > read-only).
    >
    > I use MacSoup as preferred NG reader, and it is a single-server app.; I
    > would like to find a larger news server that contains the majority - if
    > not all - the NGs that I can only get via the 3 different servers, using
    > different apps.
    You can use MacSOUP with multiple news servers, but you have to create a
    separate settings file (and folder) for each server, and you can only
    have one file (and therefore server) open at a time. The main
    disadvantage to this is that you can't tag headers or read articles from
    one server while downloading headers or articles from a different
    server. It also makes it awkward to reply to an article via a server
    other than the one it was read from -- although I'd be surprised if the
    typical news server would permit posting an article to a group that it
    didn't carry.
    Neill Massello Guest

  12. #12

    Neill Massello <nmasselloearthlink.net> wrote:

    > You can use MacSOUP with multiple news servers, but you have to create a
    > separate settings file (and folder) for each server, and you can only
    > have one file (and therefore server) open at a time.
    Excellent advice, works perfectly!

    Txs a lot, from Italy!

    ciao,
    matteo
    MatFox Guest

  13. #13

    David Cantrell <usenetbarnyard.co.uk> wrote:
    > http//www.leafnode.org/ is the first result returned by google.
    Txs; but it's a terminal command line kind of operation, and I am not
    good at all with it.
    I am sticking to Neill Massello's suggestion (multiple Mac Soup
    settings).

    Txs anyway!
    MatFox Guest

  14. #14

    In article <1fygeao.ld9zlf7e1qdcN%MatteoXYZ1963excite.it>, MatFox
    <MatteoXYZ1963excite.it> wrote:
    > Terry McDanel <tmcdanelNO.iname.SPAM.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Following these instructions Thoth replies:
    > >
    > > When Thoth tried to connect to your news server, that server sent the
    > > error message:
    > > 502 Permission Denied - Permission Denied - contact [email]newsedisontel.com[/email]
    > > (Twister v2.0.5.315)
    > >
    > > This kind of error almost always means there's a problem with the
    > > server, and almost never indicates a bug in Thoth. If the problem
    > > continues, you should contact the server administrator to report the
    > > problem and request help.
    >
    > Dunno... never happened to me!
    > No idea, sorry!
    This is because you do in fact have to register before you can use that
    news server.

    The signup form is in Italian. Have fun! ;)

    When replying by e-mail, use plain text ONLY to make sure I read it.
    Due to spam and viruses, I filter all mail with HTML or attachments.
    Jerry Kindall Guest

  15. #15

    MatFox <MatteoXYZ1963excite.it> wrote:
    > So can any of you supply me the name of other free news servers where I
    > can post, and that contain high numbers of NG?
    Unless you're after binary groups, news.CIS.DFN.DE deals with requests
    very quickly. The registration isn't so bad, and you can use a
    privacy.net address if you want.

    -z-

    (whooo, major geographical crosspost!)

    --
    "I'm not sure how useful this is, but it's bloody clever."
    - Jonathon Sanderson in uk.comp.sys.mac

  16. #16

    In article <210720030949258850%jerrykindallnospam.invalid> , Jerry
    Kindall <jerrykindallnospam.invalid> wrote:
    > In article <1fygeao.ld9zlf7e1qdcN%MatteoXYZ1963excite.it>, MatFox
    > <MatteoXYZ1963excite.it> wrote:
    >
    > > Terry McDanel <tmcdanelNO.iname.SPAM.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Following these instructions Thoth replies:
    > > >
    > > > When Thoth tried to connect to your news server, that server sent the
    > > > error message:
    > > > 502 Permission Denied - Permission Denied - contact [email]newsedisontel.com[/email]
    > > > (Twister v2.0.5.315)
    > > >
    > > > This kind of error almost always means there's a problem with the
    > > > server, and almost never indicates a bug in Thoth. If the problem
    > > > continues, you should contact the server administrator to report the
    > > > problem and request help.
    > >
    > > Dunno... never happened to me!
    > > No idea, sorry!
    >
    > This is because you do in fact have to register before you can use that
    > news server.
    >
    > The signup form is in Italian. Have fun! ;)

    Lei ha una maglia di tela per la pagina di iscrizione?
    Terry McDanel Guest

  17. #17

    <tonyaplawrence.com> wrote:
    > In comp.sys.mac.apps David Cantrell <usenetbarnyard.co.uk> wrote:
    > >On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 21:04:21 +0100, [email]pd.newsdsl.pipex.inva[/email]lid (PeterD)
    > >said:
    > >>Think again.
    > >>
    > >><[url]http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=comp.sys[/url].
    > >>mac.misc&btnG=Google+Search&meta=>
    >
    > >That looks like a web page to me. Think again.
    >
    > But it's a web server where you can read and post news..
    (pedant mode) But that doesn't make it a News Server (/pedant mode)

    Besides, 'doing' Usenet via google in anything other than the most
    casual fashion is an absolutely vile experience. That said, the google
    wayback machine is loads of fun.

    ck

    | Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE: [url]http://www.euro.cauce.org/[/url] |
    Charles Kooy Guest

  18. #18

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 17:35:18 +0000 (UTC), [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] said:
    >In comp.sys.mac.apps David Cantrell <usenetbarnyard.co.uk> wrote:
    >>On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 21:04:21 +0100, [email]pd.newsdsl.pipex.inva[/email]lid (PeterD)
    >>said:
    >>><[url]http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=comp.sys[/url].
    >>>mac.misc&btnG=Google+Search&meta=>
    >>That looks like a web page to me. Think again.
    >But it's a web server where you can read and post news.
    Which is not the same as a news server.

  19. #19

    In article <210720031542125131%tmcdanelNO.iname.SPAM.com>, Terry
    McDanel <tmcdanelNO.iname.SPAM.com> wrote:
    > Lei ha una maglia di tela per la pagina di iscrizione?
    "It has one burlap mesh for the registration page?"

    According to BabelFish, anyway. ;)

  20. #20

    Jerry Kindall <jerrykindallnospam.invalid> wrote:

    > This is because you do in fact have to register before you can use that
    > news server.
    I have never registered, nor I have been requested to insert user ID and
    password!

    Maybe the server recognizes a non-italian user's IP?
    MatFox Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast