Professional Web Applications Themes

Free tool for Reporting (and forms) - MySQL

  1. #1

    Default Free tool for Reporting (and forms)

    Hi there,

    after failing with Open Office Base and MS Access as frontends for my
    MySQL database, I'm looking for a free or cheap (windows-) tool that
    is capable of printing CD/DVD labels, which should look somewhat like
    this (read with monospaced font please):

    ------------------------------------------------------ <
    <master record data> m
    ------------------------------------------------------ a
    <1st detail record data> t
    <more fields of 1st detail record> e
    <even more fields of 1st detail record> r
    <2nd detail record data> c
    <more fields of 2nd detail record> d
    <even more fields of 2nd detail record> a
    <more detail data records...> a

    (The vertical line is in fact text rotated by 90 degrees, and not
    letters printed downwards as the drawing might suggest.)

    Open Office Base can print detail data sets as tables only, not as
    repeating sets of more than one line and is not able to print rotated
    fields at all.

    Access can do both, but can't print master record data besides space
    occupied by detail data. BTW Access 2003 does not display or print
    rotated Unicode-fonts, which is a bug and cost me a full afternoon to
    figure out.

    I tried Access forms as well, which are fine displaying rotated text
    in the right position, but can't do repeating sets of detail data
    lines.

    The only solution I found so far is to create two reports, one for the
    horizontal and one for the rotated text, and to insert the sheets
    twice when printing, which is not quite satisfactory.

    Any hints how the above layout can be achieved highly appreciated.

    Have a nice one,
    Peter

    PS: I'm not so much into programming, so I'd prefer a GUI-only
    solution.

    pzinckgraf@mmsw.de Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Free tool for Reporting (and forms)

    On 8 Jun, 12:12, "de" <de> wrote:

    > (The vertical line is in fact text rotated by 90 degrees, and not
    > letters printed downwards as the drawing might suggest.)
    >
    > Open Office Base can print detail data sets as tables only, not as
    > repeating sets of more than one line and is not able to print rotated
    > fields at all.
    >
    > Access can do both, but can't print master record data besides space
    > occupied by detail data. BTW Access 2003 does not display or print
    > rotated Unicode-fonts, which is a bug and cost me a full afternoon to
    > figure out.
    >
    > I tried Access forms as well, which are fine displaying rotated text
    > in the right position, but can't do repeating sets of detail data
    > lines.
    >
    > The only solution I found so far is to create two reports, one for the
    > horizontal and one for the rotated text, and to insert the sheets
    > twice when printing, which is not quite satisfactory.
    >
    > Any hints how the above layout can be achieved highly appreciated.
    >
    > Have a nice one,
    > Peter
    >
    > PS: I'm not so much into programming, so I'd prefer a GUI-only
    > solution.[/ref]

    I use MS Word and the Mail Merge function for this sort of thing.

    It occurs to me that you must have a restriction on the amount of
    detail lines that you can print, otherwise you can end up off the end
    of the label.

    Captain Guest

  3. #3

    Hi there,

    On 8 Jun., 13:18, Captain Paralytic <com> wrote:

    is that including (vertical) main record fields side by side with
    detail record fields? I'll give Word a try then, didn't think Word
    would be more versatile than Access when it comes to DB reporting
    though.

    I'd use three reports with different detail level, depending on the
    number of detail records per main record.

    Have a nice one,
    Peter

    pzinckgraf@mmsw.de Guest

  4. #4

    de wrote:

    > is that including (vertical) main record fields side by side with
    > detail record fields? I'll give Word a try then, didn't think Word
    > would be more versatile than Access when it comes to DB reporting
    > though.[/ref]
    But this isn't reporting. Word is more versatile for printing requirements.

    Paul Guest

  5. #5

    On Jun 9, 3:44 pm, "Paul Lautman" <com> wrote:

    > [/ref]

    > But this isn't reporting. Word is more versatile for printing requirements.[/ref]

    I use fpdf (www.pdf.org) for something similar. It's not a GUI
    solution though so it may prove troublesome even though the example
    scripts are very useful.

    strawberry Guest

  6. #6

    On Jun 9, 4:47 pm, strawberry <com> wrote: [/ref]
    > [/ref]
    > [/ref]
    > [/ref]

    > I use fpdf (www.pdf.org) for something similar. It's not a GUI
    > solution though so it may prove troublesome even though the example
    > scripts are very useful.[/ref]

    I meant www.fpdf.org - not the Parkinson's Disease Foundation!

    strawberry Guest