Professional Web Applications Themes

Freehand 10/MX-printing photos: ugly! - Macromedia Freehand

Hi there, I have a problem with some photos i imported into FH 10 and MX: Those pics are looking good on the internet, jpg and gifs, after importing and printing them there are only ugly pics and unsharp and have nothing in common with those pics on the harddrive, ive tried to save them as tiff but the same result. What will be the best result with pics, how to import them, are jpg and gif not possible for printing? Mac OS-X and FH 10 and MX...

  1. #1

    Default Freehand 10/MX-printing photos: ugly!

    Hi there,
    I have a problem with some photos i imported into FH 10 and MX:
    Those pics are looking good on the internet, jpg and gifs, after importing
    and printing them there are only ugly pics and unsharp and have nothing in
    common with those pics on the harddrive, ive tried to save them as tiff but
    the same result.
    What will be the best result with pics, how to import them, are jpg and gif
    not possible for printing?
    Mac OS-X and FH 10 and MX

    Peter Lorenz Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Freehand 10/MX-printing photos: ugly!

    For on-screen display problems AND problems printing to a non-PostScript
    printer check your Redraw Preferences in FH. Set it to it's highest
    setting then view/print.

    Web images are low-resolution at only 72 dpi and will print poorly even
    on an ink jet. Most ink jet printers need around 125-150 dpi to print
    well. One easy way to "increase" an image's resolution is to decrease
    its size when printing. In this case you would need to reduce your
    images between 57% and 48%. You could also go into an image editor such
    as Photoshop and increase the resolution while retaining the size, but
    this typically considered a no-no as it makes the image blurry and not
    all that much better.

    You can pretty much forget about using web images for press printing.
    The typical minimum resolution needed is 225 - 300 dpi. That would mean
    reducing your image by 32% to 24%.

    Rich

    Another thing to be sure
    Peter Lorenz wrote:
    > Hi there,
    > I have a problem with some photos i imported into FH 10 and MX:
    > Those pics are looking good on the internet, jpg and gifs, after importing
    > and printing them there are only ugly pics and unsharp and have nothing in
    > common with those pics on the harddrive, ive tried to save them as tiff but
    > the same result.
    > What will be the best result with pics, how to import them, are jpg and gif
    > not possible for printing?
    > Mac OS-X and FH 10 and MX

    Rich Hudgins Guest

  3. #3

    Rich, thanks for your answer

    Am 11.07.2003 15:00 Uhr schrieb "Rich Hudgins" unter
    <richnospam-weiss-associates.com> in
    [email]3F0EB4D2.3050700nospam-weiss-associates.com[/email]:
    > For on-screen display problems AND problems printing to a non-PostScript
    > printer check your Redraw Preferences in FH. Set it to it's highest
    > setting then view/print.
    >
    > Web images are low-resolution at only 72 dpi and will print poorly even
    > on an ink jet. Most ink jet printers need around 125-150 dpi to print
    > well. One easy way to "increase" an image's resolution is to decrease
    > its size when printing. In this case you would need to reduce your
    > images between 57% and 48%. You could also go into an image editor such
    > as Photoshop and increase the resolution while retaining the size, but
    > this typically considered a no-no as it makes the image blurry and not
    > all that much better.
    >
    > You can pretty much forget about using web images for press printing.
    > The typical minimum resolution needed is 225 - 300 dpi. That would mean
    > reducing your image by 32% to 24%.
    >
    > Rich
    >
    > Another thing to be sure
    > Peter Lorenz wrote:
    >> Hi there,
    >> I have a problem with some photos i imported into FH 10 and MX:
    >> Those pics are looking good on the internet, jpg and gifs, after importing
    >> and printing them there are only ugly pics and unsharp and have nothing in
    >> common with those pics on the harddrive, ive tried to save them as tiff but
    >> the same result.
    >> What will be the best result with pics, how to import them, are jpg and gif
    >> not possible for printing?
    >> Mac OS-X and FH 10 and MX

    Peter Lorenz Guest