Professional Web Applications Themes

Freehand 11.02 with high memory tif files - Macromedia Freehand

hi, this is my first time on the freehand discussion site. My first question is about problems I had when I had to produce some very high quality inkjet prints from Freehand 11.02 containing various high res, high memory tif images. Everything worked on screen, but when I printed the file, the tif images were reduced to a low quality output - everything was "blocky". When I re-saved the tif images at a lower setting (cutting the file size), the prints came out at full quality. The printer was set to the same highest quality all the time. In the ...

  1. #1

    Default Freehand 11.02 with high memory tif files

    hi, this is my first time on the freehand discussion site. My first question is
    about problems I had when I had to produce some very high quality inkjet prints
    from Freehand 11.02 containing various high res, high memory tif images.
    Everything worked on screen, but when I printed the file, the tif images were
    reduced to a low quality output - everything was "blocky". When I re-saved the
    tif images at a lower setting (cutting the file size), the prints came out at
    full quality. The printer was set to the same highest quality all the time.

    In the end, I had to put the highest memory files into Adobe Illustrator CS to
    get around the problem.

    David

    Davidrjr Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Freehand 11.02 with high memory tif files

    Hi David. Welcome to the group.

    Did you use any Raster Effects, such as drop shadow effects on the images?
    Raster Effects will cause the images to be re-rasterized. In that case you
    need to set File>Doent Settings>Raster Effects to a resolution
    appropriate for the target printer.

    How large was the image file size and what resolution (ppi)? FHMX seems to
    have a memory management problem. I remember trying to print a digital photo
    panorama from FHMX. I couldn't import it. I had to slice it into several
    sections to get it to import.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  3. #3

    I have gone back and looked at the tif files. The 2 that had the problem were
    260Mb and 320Mb in size. I did not use any special effects - they were just
    plain rgb tif's from PhotoShop CS, no layers, just the usual adjustment to
    levels, etc. I forgot to say before, the images sometimes displayed as an X box
    in freehand MX 11.02. I am guessing the problem is related to the print
    problem. All of it was done on the same G5 Mac.

    David

    Davidrjr Guest

  4. #4

    Davidrjr wrote:

    Do you mean that you are leaving the adjustment layer in the TIFF file?

    Why are you using such large images? What will be the dimensions of the
    printed images? Is this for a large-format printer? Fine art prints?

    Generally, 150 ppi is sufficient image resolution for inkjet printers and
    300 ppi for CMYK offset press. Any resolution beyond that has to be
    discarded by the print engine and is simply a waste of processing power.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  5. #5

    The printer goes upto 1,440 dpi. I thought that if I saved the images at anything less (such as 300dpi), I would not get the max possible quality of the printer.

    David
    Davidrjr Guest

  6. #6

    Inkjet printers only need images to be 150 dpi to 300 dpi (actually ppi
    - pixels per inch, dpi is printers only - dots per inch). Here's an
    interesting page on resolution in general, i just googled it so I have
    no connection to the company and haven't read it all through for accuracy.

    http://www.ltlimagery.com/resolution.html

    Rich

    Rich Guest

  7. #7

    I am agree with Judy.

    Try a lower resolution. If the bitmap has no little details you won't see
    difference between 239DPI and 1440DPI images. But you may take hours to
    process that image.

    "Davidrjr" <com> wrote in message
    anything less (such as 300dpi), I would not get the max possible quality of
    the printer.

    Carlos Guest

  8. #8

    Davidrjr wrote:

    For straight black & white images that kind of resolution might be
    appropriate (though I can't tell the difference without magnification
    once files get past 500dpi or so.) But with grayscale or color images
    the key information is the screen used to halftone the images. The rough
    guide is to have the dpi (or pixels per inch is, I guess, the more
    accurate label) for the file at around twice the screen (or lines per
    inch. Or some call THAT dots per inch.) At our paper we use an 85 line
    screen so our images are set to 170-200 dpi. Which confuses a lot of
    people when they scan straight black & white images because those come
    out looking like faxes unless the resolution is bumped up ("I was told
    to scan everything at 200dpi!")

    -Wes
    Wes Guest

  9. #9

    Wes Rand wrote:
     [/ref]

    If the printer is an inkjet color printer, the stated dpi is the total of
    all the dots for each ink. For example, onn a six-ink photo printer, 1,440
    dpi would equal 240 dpi per ink color. Depending on paper weight, inkjets
    use one several passes of proprietary ink dots of varying sizes.

    It's always best to find the recommended image resolution in the printer's
    doentation.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest