Professional Web Applications Themes

FREEHAND IS DEAD - Macromedia Freehand

I've been a ardent defender of FreeHand for so many years now. I've been a user since version 2! But FreeHand is a piece of software that has not been updated for 15 months now. And if like me, you want to upgrade to Mac OS 10.4, you're in trouble. There is a bug that prevent the use of snap to guide and snap to grid. I use Freehand for many things like logo design, icon design, packaging design and advertising. I always, always need snap to guide and snap to grid. At the speed that Macromedia has responded to ...

  1. #1

    Default FREEHAND IS DEAD

    I've been a ardent defender of FreeHand for so many years now. I've been a user
    since version 2!

    But FreeHand is a piece of software that has not been updated for 15 months
    now. And if like me, you want to upgrade to Mac OS 10.4, you're in trouble.
    There is a bug that prevent the use of snap to guide and snap to grid.

    I use Freehand for many things like logo design, icon design, packaging design
    and advertising. I always, always need snap to guide and snap to grid. At the
    speed that Macromedia has responded to complaints, we will never see a workable
    version of FreeHand on OS 10.4.

    Hope Macromedia sells FH to a small software company that will make it work
    once again. Because, now, in my eyes, Freehand is dead.

    SylvainLemire Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: FREEHAND IS DEAD

    mmmm Why does it take so long for developers to make versions compatible with
    major releases? Don't they get access to early versions to work out these
    issues? We cannot go to Tiger either becasue of these FreeHand issues. I've got
    3 upgrades to CS2 suite which has to wait for Suitcase and another critical
    plug-in to be updated. Then you read media reports about the design industry
    lagging behind in their OS upgrades as though it's our fault...

    RIP FreeHand? I still hope not, though we are using Illustrator more often
    these days.. It far excels FreeHand in saving cross platform EPS files and
    generating bitmaps/PDFs and printing. I just can't stand Illustrator's approach
    to doent structure and drawing etc. I've been switching most packging stuff
    to InDesign now.

    Ken Guest

  3. #3

    In article <d8qpfr$fq3$macromedia.com>,
    "SylvainLemire" <com> wrote:

    I guess one has to prioritize here: is it the operating system or
    FreeHand that you do your work in?

    So far I can see no pressing reason for switching to 10.4.

    Spotlight?
    It only searches certain file types not including FreeHand or InDesign
    files - just to mention a few - and don't expect to see support for them
    anytime soon.

    Widgets? (Yawn)

    If you *need* FreeHand you might be best advised to stick with 10.3.

    --
    Cheers Martin
    Martin Guest

  4. #4

    Spotlight?
    It only searches certain file types not including FreeHand or InDesign
    files - just to mention a few - and don't expect to see support for them
    anytime soon.

    Hi Martin,
    Do you mean that Spotlight cannot find Freehand files? I have no problem
    finding FH files with Spotlight.

    davecc Guest

  5. #5

    Hello.... you guys are aware that Macromedia was bought by Adobe, right?

    Anyway, I'm using FH MX on two Macs running 10.4.1 and they're both fine. One
    single G5 1.8, one dual 2.3. I never use the grid feature, so I can't say that
    I'm bothered one way or another.

    At any rate, larger questions loom on the horizon - namely, what will happen
    to the FH codebase now that Adobe has it?

    maxman23 Guest

  6. #6

    maxman23 wrote:

    The deal is pending, not completed.

    How do you align pages on the pasteboard without using the grid?

    Whoa! Not so fast. The parties hope the deal will close the fall. The
    Antitrust Division of the U.S. Dept. of Justice has been given more time to
    review the case. I don't know if an AI/FH merger would qualify as an
    antitrust situation, but I hope they're looking at it carefully.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  7. #7

    In article <d8rsfs$26k$macromedia.com>,
    "davecc" <com> wrote:

    It does find the files but to the best of my knowledge it doesn't index
    their *content*; neither that of InDesign files.

    --
    Cheers Martin
    Martin Guest

  8. #8

    Hi Judy... thought it was pretty much a done deal. I'll be surprised if they
    turn around and sell it to a third party at this point. I really don't see it
    as an antitrust thing myself... there's Canvas on the market too still. Not
    that I've used it. Anyway, it seems to me that it will still be some time
    before FH gets an upgrade, or even a bug fix... if ever.

    But anyway, about your question: "How do you align pages on the pasteboard
    without using the grid?"

    Just by eyeball. I really don't care how the pages align up with one another
    as long as they print up the way each page has been designed. I use the
    alignment tool several times a day but I don't sweat page alignment in
    multipage doents. Hope that answers your question.

    maxman23 Guest

  9. #9

    "SylvainLemire" <com> wrote in message

    Well, I know it's naive and optimistic but it's only a few weeks before MM
    annouces their new Studio line-up--could it be that there is a fix for the
    Tiger problem in a new version of FreeHand? Or maybe they have something
    else up their sleeve in regards to graphics creation? Won't it seem kind of
    odd if FH is missing from the line-up but there's nothing there to replace
    it with?

    sb

    bliss66 Guest

  10. #10