Professional Web Applications Themes

FreeHand MX and Tiger users READ THIS! - Macromedia Freehand

in article d693k3$3hi$macromedia.com, Angusdog at com wrote on 5/15/05 10:21 PM:   Please elaborate on what this problem is so when I and others upgrade to Tiger, we know what to expect. As for Macromedia fixing the problem, don't hold your breath. I have a feeling they're all on summer vacation, or sitting around the office chatting and eating pastries. Working on fixes to help you and me? Forget about it!...

  1. #21

    Default Re: FreeHand MX and Tiger users READ THIS!

    com wrote on 5/15/05 10:21 PM:

    Please elaborate on what this problem is so when I and others upgrade to
    Tiger, we know what to expect.

    As for Macromedia fixing the problem, don't hold your breath. I have a
    feeling they're all on summer vacation, or sitting around the office
    chatting and eating pastries. Working on fixes to help you and me? Forget
    about it!

    Bruce Guest

  2. #22

    Angusdog wrote:

    The .plist files are simply Apple "preferences lists" (.plist). They have
    nothing to do with MM product activation.

    For example, the .plist keeps track of the way the application interacts
    with the Mac OS Navigation Services, saving the name of the last folder used
    in Open, Save, Export and Import dialogs as well as location of 'Print to
    File' operations. If you trash the file, FH defaults to the Doents folder
    for these operations until you've completed these operations, choosing other
    folders.

    I'm speaking of the file:
    [user] /Library/Preferences/com.macromedia.freehand.11.plist

    I've trashed my freehand plist file with no need for reactivation. It did
    solve some 'crash on Print command' issues I had early on in FHMX/OS X (not
    Tiger).

    I don't know what your dispute with MM is, but if you are the legal owner of
    a serial number, you should have no problems. I recently replaced the main
    hard drive of my computer, reinstalled OSX and all applications, and had no
    problem reactivating FH. I did have to reenter my serial number, though.

    I will again post the location of the MM HotFix which solves activation
    problems that might occur after a System upgrade.

    http://www.macromedia.com/go/tn_18933

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  3. #23

    Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
    Aowchek wrote:

    Really makes you wonder if anyone on the FreeHand team was testing and
    communicating with Apple during the beta-testing phase of Tiger.

    "testing and communicating"? I think that's against Macromedia company rules.

    It's much more cost effective to pass on the testing and communicating
    overhead to customers.

    A :(

    Asteri0n Guest

  4. #24

    Asteri0n,

    Bingo! You hit the nail on the head.

    Dave
    davecc Guest

  5. #25

    Mac OSX 10.4.1 update now available,
    anyone taken the plunge yet?

    Robert
    Robert Guest

  6. #26

    I updated to 10.4.1 last night, but the object menu flashing cursor and 24pt
    problem is still there. Man, that is an annoying bug. I am seriously thinking
    about downgrading back to Panther. I didn't check any other issues yet.

    chuck78 Guest

  7. #27

    Originally posted by: chuck78
    I updated to 10.4.1 last night, but the object menu flashing cursor and 24pt
    problem is still there. Man, that is an annoying bug. I am seriously thinking
    about downgrading back to Panther. I didn't check any other issues yet.

    Now using 10.4.1 and still:

    1. My font panel will show the font name in the font panel size box after I
    change the font on an existing block of text - the font box in the panel will
    be blank!!! I click in the panel font box and type, say "Helvetica" and it
    types it into the panel's text size box and the panel's text box goes blank!
    Sometimes just changing the font size will revert the text block to Times
    (which, of course appears in the size box).

    2. At certain zoom levels, text appears to run slightly out of some containers
    on the RH side with left aligned text.

    3. Had one crash when switching to the Layers panel (grouped with the mixer
    and transform panels - not the known issue of it crashing when in its default
    grouping)

    4. Crashes when pasting some existing FHMX vector artwork from one page to
    another - only happening so far with one graphic.

    5. Keyboard shortcut to turn on and off guides does not work and I must use
    the layers panel.

    6. Photoshop CS not being able to convert the pasteboard (containing FH data)
    to a usable form (error message) crashed FHMX in the background.

    Honestly, I expected worse :)

    lozza Guest

  8. #28

    I find the Macromedia page that was linked to (at the top of this thread)
    regarding Tiger interesting. First, I should not have expected to ever read
    anything further about FHMX on the MM site. What point would there be for MM to
    address emerging Tiger issues? Hey, how 'bout the emerging fact that your
    company just got bought out and FHMX is history? Maybe Adobe want's them to
    make one last update in case they're forced to sell it off. Even then, why
    would they care or why would it make a difference?

    Also, why in that statement would the writer mention how Apple and Macromedia
    were working TOGETHER on the issue twice in so few sentences. Maybe MM is
    blaming Apple. Maybe Apple's buying FreeHand.

    Maybe it's just one poor sap left in the Richardson, TX office. His only
    mission: to report (and only report) the problems with FH and upload the text
    to the Macromedia site. I can just see the guy: hiding under a creaky desk.
    Shaking. Sitting in broken glass. Cowering in a dark, dank corner of the
    bullet-ridden office. A rat knaws on his leg. The bones of his co-workers are
    piled up in the center of the room. The stench of death lingers in the air.
    Defiantly he clings to the last blood and coffee-stained box that once held a
    copy of the program known as: FreeHand. Slowly he raises a gun to his head...

    Oh, sorry, where was I? Oh yeah...

    I also like how they slam the end user, as is so often typical of MM, putting
    the pain of FHMX bugs back on our shoulders: "Before choosing to install Mac OS
    X 10.4 "Tiger", users should review the following known issues to determine if
    they are relevant to their workflow." Translation: don't buy a new Mac because
    FHMX s and may not work on the operating system that will arrive installed
    on your computer. How typical. I still have self esteem issues from FH10. Hey
    Macromedia: how about YOU get YOUR goddamn program ready for an OS release
    BEFORE it comes out. Put that goddam developer version of Tiger in your
    mother-inng CD-ROM drive and USE IT.

    I'm not bitter.

    lozza Guest

  9. #29

    My guess is there hasn't been a 'Freehand Team' doing paid work at
    Macromedia for quite some time.

    --

    Danny
    Danny Guest

  10. #30

    Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
    Probably
[...]

    Thanks for the advice. Actually, I can live with the grid issue.

    With regards the activation, I installed my copy of FHMX 11.0.2 on my G4 in my
    studio and in my home studio, as allowed for in the licence.

    I then upgraded to G5s (studio & home studio), installed FHMX 11.0.2 and wiped
    the hard drives of the G4s before I sold them, not knowing I had to unactivate
    FH. I had issues with the OS on my new G5, reinstalled the OS (Clean install),
    and FH MX wouldn't activate as it had been activated too many times. A call to
    MM got me up and running, but I was warned that they wouldn't do it again.
    Since FH is NZ$660, this isn't something I want to run the risk of happening.

    My biggest issue is with not opening FH10 files that have joined paths - it
    will crash every time, vis:
    Legacy files that contain joined objects cause FreeHand MX to crash.
    topic update: September 2, 2004

    Issue
    When opening legacy files that contain a joined object the file will cause a
    crash in FreeHand MX 11.0.2. This does not occur in FreeHand MX (version 11 and
    11.0.1).

    Mac OS 10.4.1 has not fixed the issue. The issues I have with FH are the only
    significant ones I've struck since going to Tiger. MM would have know about
    this issue and not warned anyone, although perhaps Apple discourages partners
    from pointing out the issues. Who knows? Anyway, still trying to find
    workarounds...

    Angusdog Guest

  11. #31

    I also like how they slam the end user, as is so often typical of MM, putting
    the pain of FHMX bugs back on our shoulders: "Before choosing to install Mac OS
    X 10.4 "Tiger", users should review the following known issues to determine if
    they are relevant to their workflow." Translation: don't buy a new Mac because
    FHMX s and may not work on the operating system that will arrive installed
    on your computer. How typical. I still have self esteem issues from FH10. Hey
    Macromedia: how about YOU get YOUR goddamn program ready for an OS release
    BEFORE it comes out. Put that goddam developer version of Tiger in your
    mother-inng CD-ROM drive and USE IT.

    I'm not bitter.

    I just bought a new G5 2.7 and it cannot be downgraded to Panther. Macromedia,
    I am appealing to you again, please fix freehand or let us know what are you
    plans of doing so.

    I'm bitter

    davecc Guest

  12. #32

    n freehand MX our whole department was having the same problem. I have
    discovered a work around for this problem.
    ? Open the keyboard shortcuts menu in the edit menu
    ? Find the snap to guides action. Under View > Guides > Snap to guides.
    ? In the Press new shortcut key box assign the action a new key sequence. (i
    chose shift + command + ') on a mac. Any key command that is not already
    assigned will also work.
    ? Click the assign button and click OK
    ? Now snap to guides will now turn off and on.

    EDIT the same procedure also works for Grid problem too.

    ~ziggy~ Guest

  13. #33

    I also was having numerous problems with not only Freehand MX, but almost every
    application in the Macromedia Suite 2004 after an OSX Tiger upgrade. My first
    problem was that I was unable to load any of them from the
    dock. I resolved that by downloading and installing the English version of the
    hotfix noted elseware.

    Unfortunately, was still experiencing problems with Freehand MX in that the
    shift key no longer proportionally scaled objects, I couldn't select multiple
    objects, every function involving the option key (including zooming in and
    out) didn't work and I couldn't pan across the screen using spacebar +
    dragging. All these issues came about after the Tiger upgrade.

    I finally got an answer from Macromedia and it has solved the problem for the
    most part, although the grid thing still doesn't work. Here's what they told me:

    Thanks for contacting Macromedia Technical Support.

    It is indeed a known issue with FreeHand MX that shortcut keys do not work if
    Entourage is also open together with FreeHand MX.

    I found the e-mail that has the issue regarding MS Entourage affecting the
    shortcut keys of FreeHand, and I was able to specifically retrieve one customer
    incident that has the same issue as yours. I have contacted the customer to get
    more information on his issue with Entourage and here is what he told me.

    "When I first updated to the new Office, the shortcut keys stopped working.
    But, only when Entourage was open. I do not recall if it was a problem with
    Word, PowerPoint, etc. If I closed the Entourage application, the FreeHand
    shortcuts would resume working. I did finally fix the problem, but I don't
    think it was the easy way. I just deleted every Microsoft Office related
    program (both versions and all application support) on my computer and
    reinstalled only the newest version. This fixed the shortcut key problem, but I
    was at square one as far as the preferences, calendar, etc. in Entourage.

    My boss upgraded the new Office the day after I did. She had no problems until
    a few days ago. I would say that she had it installed and working properly, not
    affecting the shortcuts, for 3 weeks. Now she is experiencing the same problem
    I was, but not willing to fix it the way I did. She doesn't want to lose all
    the info in Entourage that I lost. She is also experiencing the same problem
    with Photoshop CS.
    Sounds like a serious problem that, not you, but Microsoft needs to fix. I
    will try to file an incident with them."

    On another note, here is what the Tech from Microsoft suggested, which, might
    work on your end as well. They e-mailed me:

    "In our testing here that if the "Save password in my Mac OS Keychain"
    checkbox is NOT checked, we can reproduce your issue. Once this checkbox is
    checked, the issue no longer occurs. Therefore, try the
    following:
    - Open Entourage 2004
    - Open Freehand X and verify you can still reproduce the issue
    - In Entourage 2004, click Tools -> Accounts
    - Double-click the account you are using
    - On the Account Settings tab, make sure the checkbox for "Save password in
    my Mac OS Keychain" is checked
    - If not, check it and enter a password in the password field
    - Exit and close Entourage 2004
    - once fully closed, re-open Entourage 2004
    - switch back to Freehand X and test the affected keyboard command
    combinations"

    I would suggest doing the Microsoft's workaround first, and if it does not
    work on your end, perhaps you can try reinstalling Entourage on your machine.
    You can also contact Microsoft if they have already found a fix to this
    particular issue.

    Let me know of your progress.

    Hope that helps some of you folks out there.

    tasbean Guest

  15. #35

    Well, I just installed FHMX on a new Dual 2.3 running Tiger yesterday. Played
    with opening files and printing them. No problems thus far. People upgrading to
    Tiger with legacy machines would be well advised to do clean installs of both
    the OS and the apps they work with. Starting fresh seems to help a great deal.

    That said, I have not done any heavy lifting in FHMX on my new rig yet. That
    will come in two days' time, when I am back at work. I hope to hell nothing
    comes up. I also have the new Adobe suite on the drive... I'm trying to get
    used to the idea that I will stop working in FH soon and that Illustrator will
    replace it. I hate the idea, but what can you do... as JET has said, perhaps we
    can expect to see some new things in the next Ilustrator that incorporate the
    best features of FH... but not multiple pages - that's an InDesign thing and I
    expect the Adobe people will want to keep it that way.

    I'd settle for universal find and replace and an improved pasting inside
    routine.... and I certainly welcome Adobe's nicer-looking interface.

    maxman23 Guest

  16. #36

    maxman23 wrote:

    Unless we can make them understand that the way many/most people use
    multiple pages in Freehand is completely different to the way we use
    them in a page layout application, and convince them of the benefits of
    Freehand's page and pasteboard behaviour in an illustration package.

    --

    Danny
    Danny Guest

  17. #37

    The office update doesn't do anything to alleviate the issue of being able to
    select multiple objects with the shift key, using the option key, & spacebar (I
    would assume all shortcuts don't work). Looks like the MS Entourage issue
    hasn't been fully resolved. I'd recommend NOT using Entourage with Freehand in
    OS X Tiger until a suitable patch has been issued. I will most likely try doing
    a clean install of the OS and all subsequent applications to see if it has
    anything to do do with that. Wonderful...more downtime while I try to get this
    thing to work correctly :-(

    tasbean Guest

  18. #38

    Max,

    I also installed FH10 and MX on my new G5 2.7 (OS10.4.1) last friday aftrenoon
    and today is the first day I really had time to test it. I spent the entire day
    editing existing doents and printed a couple files to my imagesetter and
    laser printers. without a hitch.

    I also installed Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Illustrator CS2 and opened a couple
    of files without any problems.

    All I can say is that, I am very relieved FH10 works with Tiger and later on I
    will try MX.

    Davud

    davecc Guest

  19. #39

    In article <d6sj9b$m73$macromedia.com>,
    Danny Whitehead <co.uk> wrote:

    Exactly. Try setting up for instance pages of varying size in InDesign,
    not much fun.

    --
    Cheers Martin
    Martin Guest

  20. #40

    I cannot get Ziggy's tip about changing the keyboard shortcuts to work. My
    default doent has snap to grids and guides on. A workaround for me is to
    open the original FreeHand defaults file where snap to grids is turned off (but
    you can'turn them on). Grids and guide snapping seems to be set on a per
    doent basis, so another solution may be to drop back into 10.3.9 and make up
    some templates with snapping and viewing of grids and guides on and off and
    then open these when necessary in Tiger. I will try this later and report back.

    papacino Guest

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast