Professional Web Applications Themes

FreeHand MX and Tiger users READ THIS! - Macromedia Freehand

Here's the latest from Macromedia concerning FreeHand and Tiger. http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_18893 Check it out. Some of you will freak out - you can't Show Grids or Snap to Grid! There are some printing issues that will be killer, too. Hang on - this might be a rough ride. Ron...

  1. #1

    Default FreeHand MX and Tiger users READ THIS!

    Here's the latest from Macromedia concerning FreeHand and Tiger.

    http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_18893

    Check it out.

    Some of you will freak out - you can't Show Grids or Snap to Grid!

    There are some printing issues that will be killer, too.

    Hang on - this might be a rough ride.

    Ron

    Ron Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: FreeHand MX and Tiger users READ THIS!

    And the Band Played On
    davecc Guest

  3. #3

    Don't worry!
    I'm sure Macromedia will release an update soon!
    [/sarcasm]
    Acumowchek Guest

  4. #4

    Aowchek wrote:

    Really makes you wonder if anyone on the FreeHand team was testing and
    communicating with Apple during the beta-testing phase of Tiger.

    Grrr ...

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  5. #5

    Plus I can't turn snap to grid off. The workaround (until Macromedia get around
    to fixing this) that I'm using is to use a miniscule number for the grid size.

    Was Macromedia told and send pre-release copies of Tiger? I'm thinking they
    were, being one of Apple's biggest partners, so I'd like to have seen a fix for
    this ready NOW!

    The is a royal PIA as I've converted Mail to V2, so can't migrate back. Plus,
    some of these workaround involve opening the doent up in 10, or 11.0. WHO
    has those available, given the activation issues with 11.0,1? Maybe exporting
    it as Illustrator and converting that doent back might help with some of the
    problems that people WILL have, given I've found an apparently undoented
    issue with FHMX & Tiger (Gosh I feel so honoured...)

    Angusdog Guest

  6. #6

    I will be very surprised if we FHMX users ever see an update from MM to fix
    these problems and to fix the numerous bugs that existed in FHMX prior to
    10.4.

    Bruce Guest

  7. #7

    Angusdog,

    Does the snap to grid issue also affect FH10? Has anyone else on ths thread tried FH10 with Tiger?

    David
    davecc Guest

  8. #8

    Angusdog wrote:

    Saw this at MacFixit:
    http://www.macfixit.com/

    "Third-party application compatibility

    "As noted in our Preparing for Tiger special report, many problems with
    individual applications that occur after a major Mac OS X update can be
    solved by deleting corrupt .plist files."

    The FHMX .plist is in
    [user] /Library/Preferences/com.macromedia.freehand.11.plist

    You might try deleting it and see if it turns off the grid.

    Judy Arndt
    Judy Guest

  9. #9

    Has anyone experience any issues with the font size pull-down menu?

    When I set some type and adjust the font size it works fine. But the minute I
    deselect and then select again, there's a flashing cursor in the font size
    field and the size has reverted back to 24 (the default size), but the actual
    type I've set stays the same. Real unsure of what's going on here...

    aherrera Guest

  10. #10

    aherrera wrote:

    If this is a new occurrence under Mac OS X 10.4, Tiger, then I suggest you
    report it to the bug report form:

    http://www.macromedia.com/support/email/wishform/?6213=10

    I hope someone from MM is monitoring this list, but you never know ...

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  11. #11

    neat.
    Sorry to see Tiger is giving fits. What a hassle going 7 to 8.6 to 9.
    whatever to OSX to OS10.2 to.....
    Thankfully much of my work is done on the WIN workstations. The Mac runs
    Jaguar, period. Stopped with that one, as it works pretty good. After reading
    the Mac user forums- upgrading to Tiger looks tricky for a LOT of programmes.
    The 64 bit issue is testy as well.
    Makes me glad Microsoft is taking the time to be certain on the next version
    of Windows.
    A columnist on ZDnet wrote that it was good for Adobe to grab Macromedia,
    before Microsoft could. Guess they were out kicking tires too!
    -Jeffery

    plummerdesign Guest

  12. #12

    Freehand Files created while running Panther have messed-up fonts when I bring
    them up under Tiger. Expecting some problems, I kept Panther intact on another
    drive, and I am able to bring up my files in that environment without font
    distortion. However, now when I want to print the file from Freehand, I get a
    "not enough memory" message! I have 1Gb of RAM, so that's nonsense.

    Has anyone else experienced/solved this problem?

    Chris Albertson

    Christiern Guest

  13. #13

    Christiern wrote:

    What do you mean by 'messed up'?

    I'm not disputing your claim. Just curious as I'm still on Panther and won't
    make the move to Tiger until it's safe to do so.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  14. #14

    Plummer D,

    Hasn't Microsoft been certain on all of its software? Certain that their
    software has no security problems, is stable, and is resiliant to virus
    infection....Oh wait, maybe that was some other company. I sure wish Apple
    would quit improving their software as quickly, so MS could catch up and we
    could watch a real race. Maybe in the spirit of fair play Apple would be kind
    enough to send over a few of their programmers to help out with Longhorn since
    its seems to be running behind.....by a few years. :)

    This thread isnt about new technology being added to an existing OS as much as
    it is about what happens when a major application manufacturer is asleep at the
    wheel. So lets not get into an OS ing contest.

    Pappy

    Pappy Guest

  15. #15

    If this is a new occurrence under Mac OS X 10.4, Tiger, then I suggest you
    report it to the bug report form:

    http://www.macromedia.com/support/email/wishform/?6213=10

    I hope someone from MM is monitoring this list, but you never know ...

    Judy Arndt

    Will do! Thanks for the link.

    aherrera Guest

  16. #16

    For early adopters who may be experiencing issues with 10.4 (Tiger), there might be some hope with a rumoured update 10.4.1

    David

    http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1058
    davecc Guest

  17. #17

    Software and OS came with so many bugs nowadays.... It seems that consumers are
    the ones suffering for it. Imagine funny stuffs happening to your files that
    always worked... and the many hours lost all thanks to the upgraded NEW
    software.

    laihuattan Guest

  18. #18

    Hey Pappy. My intent is never to be OS biased. They are only tools. Both
    Apple and Microsoft get my money. It would be great to get nice, stable,
    intuitive OS software out of the box everytime. From ANY OS developer! -Jeff

    plummerdesign Guest

  19. #19

    Use Linux.

    "plummerdesign" <com> wrote in message
    Both
    developer! -Jeff

    Carlos Guest

  20. #20

    I'm pretty disappointed with this, as Freehand MX has been out for a while, and
    Macromedia should have an update ready to correct these issues as some of them
    are significant, and require me to take time (non-chargeable) to fix this. For
    example, if they didn't want to release an update, they could have an automated
    'file fixer' so I could upload legacy files and receive back an MX/Tiger
    compatible file.

    As it is, I'm trying to edit some legacy files sent through by another
    designer - joined elements are causing it to crash and it's taken me hours to
    find a solution. That's hundreds of dollars I won't see again...

    Anyway, here's a workaround for people who can't find their older copies of
    Freehand or have an earlier Freehand file but can't find the joined elements:
    Open the legacy file in FH 10 (or 11.0 or 10.0.1 I believe but haven't tried),
    export it as Illustator and open the Illustrator file in FH MX. I've had no
    problems with this apart from type moving around a little. I'm working a little
    slower but at least getting it done.

    Incidentally, thanks for the advice Judy about deleting .plist files. Probably
    a good place to look for a fix, but not in my case. And I can't be the only
    user worried about using up activation 'lives' as I'm running on empty.
    Deleting the wrong file might leave me with a non-activatable Freehand MXa. If
    my hard drive crashes, I don't think I could reactivate it as I had some issues
    with Macromedia when I upgraded to G5s and activating MXa. I must check with my
    insurance broker about this, although I doubt I'd buy Freehand again. With the
    merger on the cards, I'd jump camps and start learning Illustrator.

    As you might have guessed, I'm pretty unhappy about this...

    Angusdog Guest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast