Professional Web Applications Themes

FreeHand MX Bezigon Tool Is Bossy! - Macromedia Freehand

I have been using FreeHand for about fifteen years and this is the first time I've ever encountered the following problem: When using the bezigon tool to add points to a path (clicking between existing points) the tool displays a small "+" sign when it agrees with my insertion point. But (for unknown reasons) if it doesn't accept my insertion point an "x" icon appears. If I click at that point, the path deselects. I don't understand why I'm "not allowed" to place a point wherever I want to on a path. This never happened in FreeHand 9. Can anyone ...

  1. #1

    Default FreeHand MX Bezigon Tool Is Bossy!

    I have been using FreeHand for about fifteen years and this is the first time
    I've ever encountered the following problem:

    When using the bezigon tool to add points to a path (clicking between existing
    points) the tool displays a small "+" sign when it agrees with my insertion
    point. But (for unknown reasons) if it doesn't accept my insertion point an "x"
    icon appears. If I click at that point, the path deselects. I don't understand
    why I'm "not allowed" to place a point wherever I want to on a path. This never
    happened in FreeHand 9.

    Can anyone shed some light on this?

    Aindrais Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: FreeHand MX Bezigon Tool Is Bossy!

    Aindrais,
    I was just trying to re-create your problem, and thinking that perhaps it
    had to do with the group behavior, I tried editing a grouped, sub-selected
    path with the bezigon tool. It did let me add a point at first, but then
    the entire path disapeared much like it does in the doented
    composite-path-editing bug. The only way I can get it *not* to let me
    place a point is if more than one path is selected.
    Can you describe a set of steps that will reproduce the error? It would
    also help if you let us know what version of FreehandMX you are using, and
    what OS/platform you use.

    --
    Bill
    FHMX/Win98/Athlon2100+/512M

    On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 19:54:48 +0000 (UTC), Aindrais
    <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote:
    > I have been using FreeHand for about fifteen years and this is the first
    > time
    > I've ever encountered the following problem:
    >
    > When using the bezigon tool to add points to a path (clicking between
    > existing
    > points) the tool displays a small "+" sign when it agrees with my
    > insertion
    > point. But (for unknown reasons) if it doesn't accept my insertion point
    > an "x"
    > icon appears. If I click at that point, the path deselects. I don't
    > understand
    > why I'm "not allowed" to place a point wherever I want to on a path.
    > This never
    > happened in FreeHand 9.
    >
    > Can anyone shed some light on this?

    Bill Guest

  3. #3

    Aindrais wrote:
    > I have been using FreeHand for about fifteen years and this is the
    > first time I've ever encountered the following problem:
    >
    > When using the bezigon tool to add points to a path (clicking between
    > existing points) the tool displays a small "+" sign when it agrees
    > with my insertion point. But (for unknown reasons) if it doesn't
    > accept my insertion point an "x" icon appears. If I click at that
    > point, the path deselects. I don't understand why I'm "not allowed"
    > to place a point wherever I want to on a path. This never happened in
    > FreeHand 9.
    >
    > Can anyone shed some light on this?

    Does it only happen when get within a certain distance of other points
    on the path? That behavior drives me absolutely crazy. I don't know what
    they did to the pen tools but they've made them a lot more difficult to
    use than in previous version.

    If it is the same behavior my only advice is to add the point where
    Freehand will "allow" you to and then move it where YOU want it. Not the
    way a program should work but it is a work around.
    Wes Rand Guest

  4. #4

    I saw this today with the pen tool.

    I was trying to edit a path that was part of a compound path. This was
    grouped with some other elements. The pen absolutely refused to add a point
    to the subselected path. Before it would accept a point I had to ungroup the
    logo.

    Is the artwork newly drawn or did it come from a previous version of FH?
    Mine was a old logo that has been around for a few years.

    Judy Arndt
    --
    FHMX 11.0.2 (Build 92)
    Mac G4, OS 10.3.2

    Aindrais wrote:
    > I have been using FreeHand for about fifteen years and this is the first time
    > I've ever encountered the following problem:
    >
    > When using the bezigon tool to add points to a path (clicking between existing
    > points) the tool displays a small "+" sign when it agrees with my insertion
    > point. But (for unknown reasons) if it doesn't accept my insertion point an
    > "x"
    > icon appears. If I click at that point, the path deselects. I don't understand
    > why I'm "not allowed" to place a point wherever I want to on a path. This
    > never
    > happened in FreeHand 9.
    >
    > Can anyone shed some light on this?

    Judy Arndt Guest

  5. #5

    Did anyone try changing the direction of the path? It seems to me that
    in FH10 there was a problem with adding point to certain parts of a path
    that could be overcome be changing (correcting) the direction of the
    path. Not sure if this is related or if it is continued in MX.

    Tim Hines
    remove x to e-mail

    Judy Arndt wrote:
    > I saw this today with the pen tool.
    >
    > I was trying to edit a path that was part of a compound path. This was
    > grouped with some other elements. The pen absolutely refused to add a point
    > to the subselected path. Before it would accept a point I had to ungroup the
    > logo.
    >
    > Is the artwork newly drawn or did it come from a previous version of FH?
    > Mine was a old logo that has been around for a few years.
    >
    > Judy Arndt
    Tim Hines Guest

  6. #6

    Hi Tim,
    I had subselected everything in my logo and run 'correct path direction'.
    Just tried again with 'reverse path direction'. I still cannot place a
    point.

    Now here's an odd thing. If I leave the logo grouped, subselect the
    composite path and drag it to the side of other elements of the group, I can
    then place a point in the outer path of the composite path. I haven't a clue
    why this works.

    Judy Arndt

    Tim Hines wrote:
    > Did anyone try changing the direction of the path? It seems to me that
    > in FH10 there was a problem with adding point to certain parts of a path
    > that could be overcome be changing (correcting) the direction of the
    > path. Not sure if this is related or if it is continued in MX.
    >
    > Tim Hines
    > remove x to e-mail
    >
    > Judy Arndt wrote:
    >> I saw this today with the pen tool.
    >>
    >> I was trying to edit a path that was part of a compound path. This was
    >> grouped with some other elements. The pen absolutely refused to add a point
    >> to the subselected path. Before it would accept a point I had to ungroup the
    >> logo.
    >>
    >> Is the artwork newly drawn or did it come from a previous version of FH?
    >> Mine was a old logo that has been around for a few years.
    >>
    >> Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt Guest

  7. #7

    Does adjusting the path order make a difference.

    Judy Arndt wrote:
    > Hi Tim,
    > I had subselected everything in my logo and run 'correct path direction'.
    > Just tried again with 'reverse path direction'. I still cannot place a
    > point.
    >
    > Now here's an odd thing. If I leave the logo grouped, subselect the
    > composite path and drag it to the side of other elements of the group, I can
    > then place a point in the outer path of the composite path. I haven't a clue
    > why this works.
    >
    > Judy Arndt

    Tim Hines Guest

  8. #8

    Ah ha! I discovered something. I can add points to the path if I'm at a
    magnification of 100% or 200% but if I zoom in, in the range of 400% or
    greater, I can't add points.

    This is a Canadian military logo with a British royal crown on top -- quite
    detailed. It's about 2.5 inches high. The outer path in question has 160
    points. What's odd is that I can select, delete or edit points on the same
    path, even when zoomed it, but cannot *add* a point. I've tried selecting
    the path various ways Pointer, Subselect, Pen tool with modifiers.

    It's the magnification that makes the difference here. Scaling up the logo
    allows me to edit at the lower view magnifications, but this path still
    refuses to accept points at 400% view.

    I'd be interested to know if this is only happening to me or if it's the
    same for others.

    Judy Arndt
    --
    FHMX 11.0.2 (Build 92)
    Mac G4, OS 10.3.3

    Tim Hines wrote:
    > Does adjusting the path order make a difference.
    >
    > Judy Arndt wrote:
    >> Hi Tim,
    >> I had subselected everything in my logo and run 'correct path direction'.
    >> Just tried again with 'reverse path direction'. I still cannot place a
    >> point.
    >>
    >> Now here's an odd thing. If I leave the logo grouped, subselect the
    >> composite path and drag it to the side of other elements of the group, I can
    >> then place a point in the outer path of the composite path. I haven't a clue
    >> why this works.
    >>
    >> Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt Guest

  9. #9

    Judy Arndt wrote:
    > Ah ha! I discovered something. I can add points to the path if I'm at a
    > magnification of 100% or 200% but if I zoom in, in the range of 400% or
    > greater, I can't add points.
    >
    > This is a Canadian military logo with a British royal crown on top -- quite
    > detailed. It's about 2.5 inches high. The outer path in question has 160
    > points. What's odd is that I can select, delete or edit points on the same
    > path, even when zoomed it, but cannot *add* a point. I've tried selecting
    > the path various ways Pointer, Subselect, Pen tool with modifiers.
    >
    > It's the magnification that makes the difference here. Scaling up the logo
    > allows me to edit at the lower view magnifications, but this path still
    > refuses to accept points at 400% view.
    >
    > I'd be interested to know if this is only happening to me or if it's the
    > same for others.
    >
    > Judy Arndt
    Magnification doesn't change anything for me here (on two different
    machines but both running OS X and Freehand MX.) On a test file I just
    played around with it looks like Freehand won't add a point if there is
    already a point on the line within 8.5 points of where I want to add the
    point. Path direction doesn't seem to matter either. And this is just a
    simple line: not compound or grouped.
    Wes Rand Guest

  10. #10

    Today I went mad trying to get the bezigon tool to do what I want.... now I
    found this thread and the top post says: solution found! only.... what is it
    then, exactly, then, this solution?

    I found moving the cursor along up and down the polygon will help like five
    times out of ten, but when you want to append a point between two closely
    spaced existing ones, no show.

    I am definetly putting this one on the big "i am getting fed up with FHMX i am
    going to sell my soul to AI because..." list. And after a good marriage with
    this piece of software since version 4... Aldus, are you still around? Buy it
    back please before it disappears altogether...

    sorry for this rant. but i am really frustrated. I hope Andrais will post his
    solution...

    :brokenheart;

    maarten Guest