Professional Web Applications Themes

Freehand MX Unexpectedly quits - Macromedia Freehand

I have a G5 dual pros. with OX 10.3. Freehand 10, Freehand MX, Freehand MX 11.2.0 ALL unexpectedly quit at any given time. I started a log to see if it happens with a particular command. But it quits at random as I?m working. I usually have Freehand & PhotoShop CS open at the same time but in all my years working with Freehand as far back when it was aldus Freehand this has never happened I dumped prefs. still NG. Please help Joe...

  1. #1

    Default Freehand MX Unexpectedly quits

    I have a G5 dual pros. with OX 10.3. Freehand 10, Freehand MX, Freehand MX
    11.2.0 ALL
    unexpectedly quit at any given time. I started a log to see if it happens with
    a particular command.
    But it quits at random as I?m working. I usually have Freehand & PhotoShop CS
    open at the same time
    but in all my years working with Freehand as far back when it was aldus
    Freehand this has never happened
    I dumped prefs. still NG. Please help
    Joe

    FHJOE Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Freehand MX Unexpectedly quits

    I'm not seeing this on my machine with a similar setup. Since it's happening
    in both FH versions, I would suspect a damaged font or a third-party
    extension such as FontCard.

    Use the OS X utility, Console to look for a file called
    FreeHandMX.crash.log. The crash log lists the last commands performed before
    the crash. It will often give you a clue.

    Judy Arndt
    --
    FHMX 11.0.2 (Build 92)
    Mac G4, OS 10.3.3

    FHJOE wrote:
    > I have a G5 dual pros. with OX 10.3. Freehand 10, Freehand MX, Freehand MX
    > 11.2.0 ALL unexpectedly quit at any given time. I started a log to see if it
    > happens with a particular command. But it quits at random as I?m working. I
    > usually have Freehand & PhotoShop CS open at the same time but in all my years
    > working with Freehand as far back when it was aldus Freehand this has never
    > happened I dumped prefs. still NG. Please help Joe

    Judy Arndt Guest

  3. #3

    Judy

    I'm getting the same thing, updated to 11.0.2 Build 97 and Ive got a file that
    crashes Freehand everytime!

    Its not fonts as Ive removed the 3 fonts in the job, all pictures are dumped
    so it should only open with the copy and ask me to substitute right? wrong!

    I took the advice you gave Joe and this is mainly what I kept seeing.

    Do you have any idea what it means????

    Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
    Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xf208542a

    Thread 0 Crashed:
    0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9000dbb8 small_free_list_remove_ptr +
    0x98
    1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x90001a68 szone_free + 0x8a8
    2 FreeHand 11 Base 0x0261dfc8 0x2008000 + 0x615fc8
    3 FreeHand 11 Base 0x0256ac78 0x2008000 + 0x562c78

    etc etc etc.

    This is getting desperate as this is a big job and Ive just lost a full 2 or 3
    days work if I cant get this file open.

    Alternatively, is there a sneaky way of opening a Freehand file through
    something else - giving it a txt suffix or something like in the good old, rock
    steady fh9 and 10 days?

    fingers crossed and hanging on for your reply

    Mark

    fentbaggie Guest

  4. #4

    fentbaggie wrote:
    > fingers crossed and hanging on for your reply
    Mark,
    You poor soul. You are truly a drowning man grasping at straws if you are
    hanging on for my reply. :-)

    I'm just another FHMX user, not a programmer.

    Sometimes the last few lines of the crash log will list a font, print
    command, third-party extension that will give you a clue to the crash.

    There may be a corrupt element in the FHMX file. Are you able to open the
    file? If so, copy everything into a new file. Sort to new layers and
    ungroup.

    I've had problems opening older files when 'remember layer info' is checked
    in Prefs and 'transform as unit' is applied to groups. I think FHMX wants to
    apply group attributes, but the previously remembered layer info confuses
    it, especially if the current file has layers of the same names in a
    different stacking order.

    Do you have a backup copy of the file saved at an earlier stage? Will it
    open?

    Judy Arndt
    --
    FHMX 11.0.2 (Build 92)
    Mac G4, OS 10.3.3

    Judy Arndt Guest

  5. #5

    LOL! Truly a drowning man is right!!

    I cant see anything that is obvious in the crash log and FHMX opens other
    files fine. There was nothing layered or any complex groups in the file and the
    file had only been saved a minute or two before I tried to re-open it!

    I just wondered when you came up with the console thing that you may spot
    something in the excerpt I copied.

    Ive tried all sorts, importing into a new file, duplicating the old file, even
    trying to 'con' other software into thinking its an rtf or txt file, but no!

    I've removed the fonts I know are in it, and the images that we're in it too,
    so its only got to open the texct and some keyline boxes. I've contacted the
    support centre at Macromedia though and hopefully will get some reply although
    the policy looked like saying "We dont know much but give us a try!!!"

    Any other clues as to a work around - I can manage if I can just get all the
    copy back off the file as it was completely edited from the original file a few
    days ago and i go away in a few days so re-doing it is going to be just about
    impossible!

    god I sound desperate!

    here's hoping!

    Mark

    Oh yeah - its build 92 too by the way, typo's!

    fentbaggie Guest

  6. #6

    fentbaggie wrote:
    > Any other clues as to a work around - I can manage if I can just get all the
    > copy back off the file as it was completely edited from the original file a
    > few days ago and i go away in a few days so re-doing it is going to be just
    > about impossible!
    By 'the copy' I assume you mean the text. You might be able to do a salvage
    operation if you export to RTF format. That will give you the text which you
    could you put together with graphics from your older version of the file.

    Good luck.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks for the crashlog tip but, how do you read this stuff?

    2004-05-10 11:38:08.548 FreeHand MX[438] CFLog (0):
    CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist pr: missing semicolon in
    dictionary.

    2004-05-10 11:38:08.549 FreeHand MX[438] CFLog (0):
    CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): The file name for this data might be (or it
    might not): file://localhost/usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York

    Authentication Service: Started

    2004-05-10 17:17:21.785 FreeHand MX[550] CFLog (0):
    CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist pr: missing semicolon in
    dictionary.

    2004-05-10 17:17:21.786 FreeHand MX[550] CFLog (0):

  8. #8

    Is that in a crash.log or a console.log? If it's in the console.log I
    believe it's just a record of normal operation. I think that FHMX is trying
    to log into the internet to send info to the Macromedia to 'authenticate'
    FHMX. Are you in the same time zone as New York? I have similar entries in
    my console.log for my time zone,
    "file://localhost/usr/share/zoneinfo/Canada/Mountain"

    Do you have two ways to access a modem, such as Ethernet/Cable/DSL and an
    internal modem for sending faxes? I do and had problems with that at one
    time.

    Judy Arndt

  9. #9

    Freehand quit on me twice today and had to do at least 20min over again.
    And when you're up against a deadline that's a lot of time wasted.
    When I had this problem on OS9's it was bad prefs, extension conflict, or fonts
    On OSX I don't know were to look and i hate to call tech support and end up
    speaking to someone
    looking up solutions from a text book as if we didn't know.
    I'm thinking of uninstalling MX and reinstalling FH10. Would that cause more
    problems?
    Come on Freehand people is there any body out there with the solution?
    Help
    Thanks, FHJOE

    FHJOE Guest

  10. #10

    here's some more...oh yeah. It do it everyday...espacially when you havent
    saved yet, and click layers. Nice!

    May 14 15:54:03 Teemu crashdump: Crash report written to:
    /Users/teemuhursti/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/FreeHand MX.crash.log

    2004-05-14 15:54:21.275 FreeHand MX[485] CFLog (0):
    CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist pr: missing semicolon in
    dictionary.
    2004-05-14 15:54:21.285 FreeHand MX[485] CFLog (0):
    CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): The file name for this data might be (or it
    might not): file://localhost/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Helsinki

    Tiemo Guest

  11. #11

    Tiemo wrote:
    > here's some more...oh yeah. It do it everyday...espacially when you havent
    > saved yet, and click layers. Nice!
    There's a bug in FHMX/OSX Panther, associated with having your Layers and
    Styles panels grouped. After certain steps editing (with the pen tool ?) and
    then clicking on the tab of the hidden Layers or Styles panel, you trigger a
    crash. The workaround is to separate the Layers and Styles panels.

    I see the Authentication error message in my console.log every time I launch
    FHMX, but it's never the cause of a crash on my machine.

    I had FHMX crashes when I was using FontCard. I have since completely
    uninstalled FontCard, Silk and all of the 'Ape' files installed by the
    Unsanity installers.

    Judy Arndt
    --
    FHMX 11.0.2 (Build 92)
    Mac G4, OS 10.3.3

    Judy Arndt Guest

  12. #12

    I have been having a similar problem occur for me. It only seems to
    unexpectedly quit when I try to either export or print and its pretty
    consistent.

    I was wondering if there was a known bug or patch somewhere I can download to
    fix this? I know its not a font problem as I reverted all text to Times font to
    check. I am running FHMX with OX 10.2.8.

    thanks

    fygraph Guest

  13. #13

    I copied & pasted the very end of two deferent messasges from Console crash
    log does anyone know how to read these

    CRASH 1 MESSAGE
    Command: FreeHand MX
    MX.app/Contents/MacOS/FreeHand MX
    Version: 11.0.2 (11.0.2) PID: 603 Thread: 0
    Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
    Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x4be04184

    CRASH 2 MESSAGE
    Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
    Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000010
    FHJOE

    FHJOE Guest

  14. #14

    So far so good. I seperated the styles panel from the layers panel and for a
    good 6 days so far Freehand
    HAS NOT CRASHED. I'm crossing my fingers that's all it was.
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU
    FHJOE

    FHJOE Guest

  15. #15

    I was pressed for time but I came up with a decent enough solution in a fix. If
    you just group up everything in the crashing doent, copy then paste it to
    duplicate it. Next take one of the duplicates and 'convert it to image' then
    copy that image into a new doent and the new doc should print and export
    fine. Keep the old crashing doent with the non-image duplicate so that you
    can edit or make changes to it later then repeat the process to print out
    another draft or whatever.

    Worked for me, hope it works for others in a pinch.

    fygraph Guest

  16. #16

    ahh yes the unexpeceted quit or just flat out dissappears with out any notice.
    i have FH 10 and FH MX and bothe do it 10 is worse than MX and usually when
    tryin to print. anyone figure out anythang yet?????

    mrbubba Guest

  17. #17

    This seems to be a common problem and yet - still no patch or official word as
    I have heard.

    Another solution that seems to fix it occasionally is to take all strokes off
    of text. You can still achieve the same effect by duplicating the text and
    placing it behind the original text and making it a point or two larger. Not as
    convenient but it fixes the crashing problem every now and then.

    fygraph Guest

  18. #18

    I'm having the same issue as well. I'm getting the crashes when I'm using the
    pen tool zoomed in. At first, I thought it had something to do with being
    zoomed in, but after reading these posts, I'm thinking it might be the pen
    tool. There are no images and no text in the doent. Just some vector lines.
    I'm to the point where I can't even work in freehandMX right now. I'm crashing
    about every 5 minutes. I'll try the syltes/ layers idea to see if that helps.

    Thanks in advance for any insight!

    hallison Guest

  19. #19

    Mine seems to have stabilised now, although its not perfect, I've now resorted
    to saving a back-up 'export as a Freehand 9 copy' as security (Freehand 9
    seeming to be the last rock solid version there has been for a while that's
    still reasonably up-to-date!)

    I cant spot one single thing that's caused it to slow down, except Ive updated
    the OS X as and when the updates arrived and allowed it to optimise my disk as
    it installs. Whether its a conflict thing with OS's in general and its slowly
    being ironed out I dont know.

    I do think though that Macromedia need to be reading this forum and sorting
    out some sort of answers/fixes/patches/new versions as soon as possible!

    Any insight at the moment stands at "save often and with a backup file!" Can
    save loads of backtracking time in the long run.

    Jeez - this sounds like Quark 10 years ago!!!!

    fentbaggie Guest