Professional Web Applications Themes

Freehand MX won't print PS from converted files - Macromedia Freehand

Whenever we read in an old FH file ( say FH10 ) to MX we cannot get a proper PS file to 'print'. The file is corrupt, will not view in Preview ( OS 10.3.3 ) and will not Distill ( Acrobat 6.0.1 ). When a new file is created in MX and the same process is tried it works just fine. All updates have been done as of May 1, 2004. Since the only other print to file option is PDF and that doesn't show crop marks and other essential info it is useless. This is a really serious ...

  1. #1

    Default Freehand MX won't print PS from converted files

    Whenever we read in an old FH file ( say FH10 ) to MX we cannot get a proper PS
    file to 'print'. The file is corrupt, will not view in Preview ( OS 10.3.3 )
    and will not Distill ( Acrobat 6.0.1 ). When a new file is created in MX and
    the same process is tried it works just fine. All updates have been done as of
    May 1, 2004.

    Since the only other print to file option is PDF and that doesn't show crop
    marks and other essential info it is useless.

    This is a really serious issue and any help we can get would be much
    appreciated. Thanks.

    Cybermynd Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Freehand MX won't print PS from converted files

    Are you using FreeHand MX 11.0.2?

    What do you mean when you say 'read in' an old FH file? Are you using the
    Open command in FHMX to open and convert the file?

    Judy Arndt
    --
    FHMX 11.0.2 (Build 92)
    Mac G4, OS 10.3.3

    Cybermynd wrote:
    > Whenever we read in an old FH file ( say FH10 ) to MX we cannot get a proper
    > PS file to 'print'. The file is corrupt, will not view in Preview ( OS 10.3.3
    > ) and will not Distill ( Acrobat 6.0.1 ). When a new file is created in MX and
    > the same process is tried it works just fine. All updates have been done as
    > of May 1, 2004.
    Judy Arndt Guest

  3. #3

    Sorry, yes, latest version of FH MX. When I 'open' an older version file, didn't know there were other options. Could I Import them instead?
    Cybermynd Guest

  4. #4

    I open FH9 and earlier files in FHMX all the time and haven't had any
    problems printing to PS files and distilling. (I skipped FH 10.)

    I wonder if the corruption is in the imaging options such as crop marks.
    Does this happen if the FH10 file has been saved without any options
    selected in the Imaging Tab of the Advanced Print dialog?

    Importing the contents of an older FH file might avoid some kind of doent
    corruption. You could try one as a test. Another test would be to open the
    older file, copy contents into a new file and try to print that.

    Judy Arndt

  5. #5

    Thanks Judy. I did try copying the objects from the old file into a new file
    and that had no effect. I don't recall if we tried printing without the crop
    marks and such. I'll give that a try. Writing to PDF works fine except it
    doesn't write those extra items like crop marks. Even if PS does work without
    the markup stuff it would still be useless.

    I'll try some of your suggestions. Thanks again.

    Cybermynd Guest

  6. #6

    Cybermynd wrote:
    > Even if PS does work without the markup stuff it would still be useless.
    Yes, I understand this. What I'm suggesting is that you use a process of
    elimination to discover which elements of the converted file have corrupted
    data.

    Also pay attention to File > Page Setup. It's more important under OS X than
    under OS 9.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt Guest