Professional Web Applications Themes

Freehand Preferences keep getting reset - Macromedia Freehand

Hi all I'm using FH MXa on XP pro. Every once in a while, freehand forget's all of it's preferences. Forgets my window layouts, forgets my pref settings (# of undos...) and starts with the welcome to freehand box. argh. Oddly, if I got to File open (nothing is availble under 'recent doents') it goes the folder of the last project I was working on. Any idea why? I should also note that I use freehand on two logins on the same computer (one for work, one for play). Thanks for any help! Will...

  1. #1

    Default Freehand Preferences keep getting reset

    Hi all

    I'm using FH MXa on XP pro. Every once in a while, freehand forget's all of
    it's preferences. Forgets my window layouts, forgets my pref settings (# of
    undos...) and starts with the welcome to freehand box. argh. Oddly, if I got
    to File open (nothing is availble under 'recent doents') it goes the folder
    of the last project I was working on. Any idea why? I should also note that I
    use freehand on two logins on the same computer (one for work, one for play).

    Thanks for any help!
    Will

    WillMoore Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Freehand Preferences keep getting reset

    just thought I'd add the when it forgets itself, all of the toolbars I had
    displayed also disappear. When I put them back, it puts them in the same place
    as before. For instance, I have the main on the left, the text on the top and
    the extra tools on the bottom. when I go to window>toolbars and recheck them,
    they come back up in that same positoning.

    oddola.

    will

    WillMoore Guest

  3. #3

    I this happens consistently, you have installed Freehand in an area which where
    you do not have enough priveleges to write so FH cannot save the preferences.
    This happens on the mac. Don't know if it is possible happening in Windows....

    Onnozel Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks for the reply. sadly, it doesn't happen consistently. good idea about the users. I went and checked but both users are setup as administrators. any other ideas?

    will
    WillMoore Guest

  5. #5

    I can tell you that Freehand 9 has been doing this occasionally (about once a
    fortnight, twice in one day yesterday) on WinXPhome Pc with bags of space, 2Gb
    memory and no excuse at all for this. It is doing it on both the office PC and
    home PC, thus it must be possibly a global issue. Any others found this ?

    Freehand 9 also has poor refresh of its icons, I need to go File then they
    re-appear. Some toolbox icons grey out. Had to zap the toolbox file for it to
    return the full toolbox. It gets worse... yesterday FH9 decided to save
    important work files but not be able to read them next day, 24 hours intensive
    work lost, even the file I named backup. Very disappointed with Macromedia,
    totally unreliable now is FH9. Can't go for FH10 as it destroys layers and
    joins together paths of different characteristics. This is FH hell. Give me
    Freehand 7 anyday !

    Envirographics

    envirographics Guest

  6. #6

    bump
    WillMoore Guest

  7. #7

    Read this:
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/freehand/ts/doents/prefs_file_bingo.htm

    "There is no "FreeHand Way" to maintain custom Preferences for each user.
    You could manually copy the FHprefs.txt file into a personal location after
    configuring FH your way and then let "The Other User" do the same."

    This is an old technote from 1997, but to my knowledge, nothing has changed
    in the way FH handles (or fails to handle) multiple users on one machine.

    Judy Arndt

    WillMoore wrote:

    Judy Guest