Professional Web Applications Themes

FreeHand upgrade confusion! - Macromedia Freehand

I have an iMac with OSX 10.2.8 and OS 9.2 Classic running on it. I have FreeHand 9 installed and want to upgrade to FreeHand MX. Here's the rub though... I want FreeHand MX to be on my new G5 Power Mac which has OSX 10.4 only. How do I get FreeHand MX on my new G5 without having to purchase a full FreeHand? Can I install my old FreeHand 9 on my new G5, even though it doesn't have OS 9.2 Classic on it, in order to then install the FreeHand 9 to FreeHand MX upgrade on top if ...

  1. #1

    Default FreeHand upgrade confusion!

    I have an iMac with OSX 10.2.8 and OS 9.2 Classic running on it. I have
    FreeHand 9 installed and want to upgrade to FreeHand MX. Here's the rub
    though... I want FreeHand MX to be on my new G5 Power Mac which has OSX 10.4
    only. How do I get FreeHand MX on my new G5 without having to purchase a full
    FreeHand? Can I install my old FreeHand 9 on my new G5, even though it doesn't
    have OS 9.2 Classic on it, in order to then install the FreeHand 9 to FreeHand
    MX upgrade on top if it, or is it possible to install a full version of
    FreeHand MX onto my G5 from the upgrade disk without there already being a
    version of FreeHand on there, as long as I have the password from my old
    FreeHand to key in?

    I can't afford to shell out for a new full FreeHand, and i really don't see
    why I should have to given that I have already purchased one and don't intend
    to use it on the old iMac once it is up and funning on my new G5.

    Mitch Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: FreeHand upgrade confusion!

    Mitch Thompson wrote:

    I'm almost certain you'll only need to install the new version on the new
    machine and use your FH9 serial number upon first run. You could check with
    MM customer service to be sure. They don't post to this forum.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  3. #3

    "Mitch Thompson" <com> wrote in

    Most upgrade versions give you a new product key and simply require
    verification of the old product by inserting the old CD at some point
    during the new install. Not sure what Freehand does but you can verify
    with MM Customer Service.

    --
    Tom G.
    Send replies to tom |att| geldner /dott/ com

  4. #4

    Thanks to you both.

    I've e-mailed Macromedia customer services so I'll hopefully have the answer soon.

    Regards,
    Mitch.
    Mitch Guest

  5. #5

    "Mitch Thompson" <com> wrote in

    Oh gad. CALL THEM. Never email the customer service department in any
    company. 90% of the time you'll get a boiler plate reply that has nothing
    to do with your question.

  6. #6

    I guess I got lucky then! Here's what they said...

    Dear Mr Thompson

    Thank you for contacting Macromedia Customer Services.

    Further to your email of 14/06/2005, you are eligible to upgrade from
    Freehand 9 to Freehand MX.

    For this upgrade to install properly, you must own a commercial version
    of FreeHand 9.x on the same platform. The price of this upgrade is
    ?109.

    To find more information on how to upgrade, please visit the following
    page:

    http://www.macromedia.com/software/freehand/productinfo/upgrade/

    If you want to upgrade to Freehand MX, you can use the prior version
    used to upgrade, Freehand 9, on the same computer
    only together with Freehand MX.

    However, as you want to work permanently on your new G5 with OSX 10.4.,
    I recommend you to uninstall your Freehand 9 from this machine and
    install your new upgrade on it to avoid compability problems.

    While activating your upgrade of Freehand MX you will be prompted to
    enter the serial number of the upgrade first and then the serial number
    of product you are upgrading from.

    In relation to the other license of Freehand 9, which is installed on
    an iMac with OSX 10.2.8, you can continue using this license on this
    machine.

    Apart from being under the impression that FreeHand 9 is installed on my G5,
    which it isn't, they seem to have understood perfectly, and the impression I
    get is that all I need to do is install the FreeHand MX upgrade on my G5 and
    make sure I have my old FreeHand 9 serial number to hand to key in when
    prompted.

    Mitch Guest

  7. #7

    "Mitch Thompson" <com> wrote in news:d8p5ev$7va$1
    forums.macromedia.com:

    A big 10-4.