Professional Web Applications Themes

FREEZE!!! My Computer Hates Plugins - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Me again, with the new XP operating system that freezes when using Elements. Thanks to everyone for replying to my last post, and sorry for not answering, I've just spent all weekend tearing my computer apart, reformatting a brand new 20gb hard drive and reinstalling a brand new copy of WinXP, full, not upgrade, at the recommendation of an Adobe tech person, waste of time. Same problem, my computer freezes when opening PSD files with active layers or using memory intensive tools like Straighten and Crop. Or, it did freeze. In true computer-geek fashion, I thought of the simplest thing ...

  1. #1

    Default FREEZE!!! My Computer Hates Plugins

    Me again, with the new XP operating system that freezes when using Elements. Thanks to everyone for replying to my last post, and sorry for not answering, I've just spent all weekend tearing my computer apart, reformatting a brand new 20gb hard drive and reinstalling a brand new copy of WinXP, full, not upgrade, at the recommendation of an Adobe tech person, waste of time. Same problem, my computer freezes when opening PSD files with active layers or using memory intensive tools like Straighten and Crop. Or, it did freeze. In true computer-geek fashion, I thought of the simplest thing last, run custom install and add Elements components one at a time. Everything works fine until I install the "Elements Only Plug-ins", then my computer freezes like a milkshake in a Minnesota winter when trying to use Elements. Anybody know why? To summarize, to avoid the usual questions, no Norton products, did all of the installing in Safe Mode, defragmented harddrive, cleared all temp files, and when I discovered plug-ins was what was freezing my computer, I had almost everything pulled out of it, so basically it was freezing on a system consisting of nothing more than a motherboard and P3 550 processor, video card (using both windows supplied drivers and cards drivers), a CD-Rom, and 256megs of ram that I know is good. Everything still froze as long as I installed the plugings. Anybody else out there had this problem, I could sure use the help. Oh, and to avoid other questions, my computer has 768megs of installed ram, all good, and I have 10gbs of free harddisk space, and the biggest pic file I have is only 42megs, so I'm not running out of ram or room for a scratch disk. And for the record, JASC Paint Shop Pro 8 runs perfectly with my current configuation, but I prefer Elements, ain't that always the way. Thanks again.
    Kevin Logan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: FREEZE!!! My Computer Hates Plugins

    Kevin,

    Try disabling extensions. Just put a tilde in front of the plug-ins\extensions folder.

    Rich
    Richard Coencas Guest

  3. #3

    In article <1de9ea5b.-1WebX.la2eafNXanI>, "Kevin Logan" <kevindalton.net>
    wrote:
    > Me again, with the new XP operating system that freezes when using
    Elements. Thanks to everyone for replying to my last post, and sorry for
    not answering, I've just spent all weekend tearing my computer apart,
    reformatting a brand new 20gb hard drive and reinstalling a brand new copy
    of WinXP, full, not upgrade, at the recommendation of an Adobe tech person,
    waste of time. Same problem, my computer freezes when opening PSD files
    with active layers or using memory intensive tools like Straighten and
    Crop. Or, it did freeze. In true computer-geek fashion, I thought of the
    simplest thing last, run custom install and add Elements components one at
    a time. Everything works fine until I install the "Elements Only Plug-ins",
    then my computer freezes like a milkshake in a Minnesota winter when trying
    to use Elements. Anybody know why? To summarize, to avoid the usual
    questions, no Norton products, did all of the installing in Safe Mode,
    defragmented harddrive, cleared all temp files, and when I discovered
    plug-ins was what was freezing my computer, I had almost everything pulled
    out of it, so basically it was freezing on a system consisting of nothing
    more than a motherboard and P3 550 processor, video card (using both
    windows supplied drivers and cards drivers), a CD-Rom, and 256megs of ram
    that I know is good. Everything still froze as long as I installed the
    plugings. Anybody else out there had this problem, I could sure use the
    help. Oh, and to avoid other questions, my computer has 768megs of
    installed ram, all good, and I have 10gbs of free harddisk space, and the
    biggest pic file I have is only 42megs, so I'm not running out of ram or
    room for a scratch disk. And for the record, JASC Paint Shop Pro 8 runs
    perfectly with my current configuation, but I prefer Elements, ain't that
    always the way. Thanks again.

    Like I said in my post - PS good solid info - - MOST PS plugs DO NOT WORK
    WITH OSX !! XP (yet) Have also heard that elements is a serious internal
    ram hog? (invisible to system ram tally) PS app alone (no OSX)should handle
    new plugs in plug-ins folder OK - - soft freezes for only TWO reasons - -
    RAM - - compatibility - with other plugs or versions of plugs - - BEST HELP
    IS HOME PAGE of the subject U R doing - - B4 U post !!!!!
    nostradamus Guest