Professional Web Applications Themes

Freeze window - FileMaker

Evidently I must be using it incorrectly. I've got a bunch of scripts that go through all the records, and omits records that have certain criteria's. I've got 5 sub scripts that are identical (to my eye) that do these omits. But when I put those 5 subscripts into one script so it does A, B, C, D, and finally E, for some reason, the window is not frozen. It is supposed to not show me the scrolling through the records, right? -- "When the darkness comes, those who once lived in the shadows will need to guide the lost ...

  1. #1

    Default Freeze window

    --
    "When the darkness comes, those who once lived in the shadows will need to guide
    the lost ones."

    ~consul Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Freeze window

    If the current layout is a list view, you will see the scroll bar moving
    down and the script will take much longer to run, even with Freeze Window.
    This may be a function of the operating system and therefore outside
    filemaker's control. Try going to a form view, returning to the list view at
    the completion of the script(s). You should notice a big speed improvement,
    and no scroll bar movement.

    Bridget Eley

    in article bmhqb0$ks0$1usc.edu, ~consul at [email]consulINVALIDdolphins-cove.com[/email]
    wrote on 15/10/03 7:37 AM:
    > Evidently I must be using it incorrectly. I've got a bunch of scripts that go
    > through all the records, and omits records that have certain criteria's. I've
    > got 5 sub scripts that are identical (to my eye) that do these omits. But when
    > put those 5 subscripts into one script so it does A, B, C, D, and finally E,
    > for
    > some reason, the window is not frozen. It is supposed to not show me the
    > scrolling through the records, right?
    --

    (to email direct, replace "DOT" with "." and remove ".invalid")

    Bridget Eley Guest

  3. #3

    Bridget Eley wrote:
    > If the current layout is a list view, you will see the scroll bar moving
    > down and the script will take much longer to run, even with Freeze Window.
    > This may be a function of the operating system and therefore outside
    > filemaker's control. Try going to a form view, returning to the list view at
    > the completion of the script(s). You should notice a big speed improvement,
    > and no scroll bar movement.
    Sorry, when I said scrolling, I meant that I would see the various records being
    looked at. I was in FORM mode as well.

    Crap, I just did the script, and it worked.

    BUT I DIDN'T CHANGE ANYTHING! :(

  4. #4

    I'm trying to stop the screen from flickering (like a massive but instant redraw) when I
    am running through a series of omit loops, but I don't think it's working right. Winxp,
    fmp6.04, here's what I have:

    Go to Field ["Lastname"]
    Enter Find Mode [Pause]
    Freeze Window
    Perform Find [Replace Found Set]
    Perform Script [Sub-scripts, "Omit SA"]
    Perform Script [Sub-scripts, "Omit TA"]
    Perform Script [Sub-scripts, "Omit USC Readers"]
    etc.
    Refresh Window[]

    It seems that the flickering occurs during the omit subscripts, so here is what I have for
    the omit scripts:

    Freeze Window
    Go to Record/Reques/Page[First]
    Loop
    If["AssignedAs="Mini Course""]
    Omit Record
    Else
    Go to Record/Reques/Page[Exit after last, Next]
    End If
    End Loop
    Go to Layout [Refresh window, original layout]
    Go to Record/Reques/Page[First]

    So that's what I have. By the way, do I need to refresh the window at all? And maybe
    someone can tell me how to omit all the records that have a value in AssignedAs, so I
    don't have to call 9 Omit ??? scripts? :)
    --
    MARCH FOR WOMEN'S LIVES: April 25th, 2004 [ http://march.feminist.org/ ]
    The students of the University of Southern California are fundraising to send USC

    ~consul Guest

  5. #5

    "~consul" <com> wrote in message
    redraw) when I
    right. Winxp,
    what I have for

    Probably not.

    value in AssignedAs, so I

    To find all records with blank "AssignedAs" fields:

    Enter Find Mode []
    Set Field [AssignedAs, "="]
    Perform Find []

    Glenn Guest

  7. #7

    ~consul wrote:

    Actually, a problem just came up.
    With:
    Enter Find Mode []
    Set Field ["AssignedAs", ""=""]
    Perform Find []

    If I search for a Lastname that has two or three entries (student is signed up for
    different classes), and one of those records has a value in [AssignedAs], I still get the
    ones with [AssignedAs] that is filled.