Professional Web Applications Themes

Frequent Lombard Freeze-ups... Help!! - Mac Portable

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone here would have any clues about a problem occuring on my Lombard PB (400MHZ 192/6gig [original drive] / DVD). It has started freezing up about every 20 to 30 minutes or so. I'm runing OS 9. I was running a 20 gig Hitachi 3rd party drive and thought that was the problem but I've since put back in the original Apple 6 gig drive, reinitialized it and reinstalled all software taking great care not to use any old preference files and I'm having exactly the same problem! Nothing has changed. The thing freezes up ...

  1. #1

    Default Frequent Lombard Freeze-ups... Help!!

    Hi,

    I'm just wondering if anyone here would have any clues about a problem
    occuring on my Lombard PB (400MHZ 192/6gig [original drive] / DVD). It
    has started freezing up about every 20 to 30 minutes or so. I'm runing
    OS 9. I was running a 20 gig Hitachi 3rd party drive and thought that
    was the problem but I've since put back in the original Apple 6 gig
    drive, reinitialized it and reinstalled all software taking great care
    not to use any old preference files and I'm having exactly the same
    problem! Nothing has changed. The thing freezes up every 20 minutes or
    so. It doesn't happen in any particular program as such but mostly in
    Photoshop (6) and Internet Explorer (5.1.6), the ones I most often
    use.
    If anyone has any clues as to what could be going wrong (hardware,
    software)... and how to fix it, I would greatly appreciated it.
    Thanks.
    Marc P.
    Marc P. Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Frequent Lombard Freeze-ups... Help!!

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 21:24:24 -0400, Marc P. wrote
    (in message <933c0c1.0308061724.59c182cbposting.google.com> ):
    > Hi,
    >

    > I'm just wondering if anyone here would have any clues about a problem
    > occuring on my Lombard PB (400MHZ 192/6gig [original drive] / DVD). It
    > has started freezing up about every 20 to 30 minutes or so. I'm runing
    > OS 9. I was running a 20 gig Hitachi 3rd party drive and thought that
    > was the problem but I've since put back in the original Apple 6 gig
    > drive, reinitialized it and reinstalled all software taking great care
    > not to use any old preference files and I'm having exactly the same
    > problem! Nothing has changed. The thing freezes up every 20 minutes or
    > so. It doesn't happen in any particular program as such but mostly in
    > Photoshop (6) and Internet Explorer (5.1.6), the ones I most often
    > use.
    > If anyone has any clues as to what could be going wrong (hardware,
    > software)... and how to fix it, I would greatly appreciated it.
    > Thanks.
    > Marc P.
    A really tough problem to find :-(. I would do a Clean Install, Zap the PRAM,
    and let the thing cycle for a while in the Finder. If it still freezes, I
    think you can be pretty sure it's hardware. If not, it's probably software.
    Start adding stuff back in one at a time and try to figure out which it is.

    Steve

    Steve Guest

  3. #3

    In article <933c0c1.0308061724.59c182cbposting.google.com> , Marc P.
    <marcpotvinyahoo.ca> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >

    > I'm just wondering if anyone here would have any clues about a problem
    > occuring on my Lombard PB (400MHZ 192/6gig [original drive] / DVD). It
    > has started freezing up about every 20 to 30 minutes or so. I'm runing
    > OS 9. I was running a 20 gig Hitachi 3rd party drive and thought that
    > was the problem but I've since put back in the original Apple 6 gig
    > drive, reinitialized it and reinstalled all software taking great care
    > not to use any old preference files and I'm having exactly the same
    > problem! Nothing has changed. The thing freezes up every 20 minutes or
    > so. It doesn't happen in any particular program as such but mostly in
    > Photoshop (6) and Internet Explorer (5.1.6), the ones I most often
    > use.
    > If anyone has any clues as to what could be going wrong (hardware,
    > software)... and how to fix it, I would greatly appreciated it.
    > Thanks.
    > Marc P.
    Any specifics? Situations? Time since last boot? Etc.

    --
    Tim Lance Guest

  4. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Milton Aupperle Guest
    Moderated Post

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Tim Lance Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. #6

    Related your discussion, my Lombard gets way to hot and the fan has
    never kicked in. Does anyone know the temperature that fan is supposed
    to start working? I too put a small fan that I removed from a dead Mac
    on the side ing across and under the keyboard area and that really
    helped but I wish the fan would kick in.

    Thanks.

    llb
    llb Guest

  7. #7

    In article <110820030801091952%llbhotmail.com>, llb <llbhotmail.com>
    wrote:
    > Related your discussion, my Lombard gets way to hot and the fan has
    > never kicked in. Does anyone know the temperature that fan is supposed
    > to start working? I too put a small fan that I removed from a dead Mac
    > on the side ing across and under the keyboard area and that really
    > helped but I wish the fan would kick in.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > llb
    Resetting the PMMU solved this problem on my Pismo. Procedure was to
    shut down, remove battery and AC, then press and hold that little button
    on the back of the machine by the...[checks back of machine] video-out.
    I'm sure that Apple's KB or any reasonable Mac site has complete and
    accurate instructions for doing this. I might have forgotten a step.

    later.

    --
    johajohn AT indianahoosiers DOT edu

    Remove the non place-name reply. Indiana is a place-name.
    John Johnson Guest