Professional Web Applications Themes

Frequent loss of contact with ISP - FreeBSD

I reciently upgraded my home computer to FreeBSD 5.3 p5. Sense then I've had minor problems connecting to my ISP. During boot up it will sometimes freeze at the line, "Configuring syscons: keymap blanktime." or I'll lose contact with my ISP while sending an email or surfing the web. From an earlier posting to this forum I found that "Ctrl+C" will let the system finishing the boot up. Then I can easily connect to my ISP by running "/etc/netstart" as root. Everything works fine at least for a while. However, sooner or later I'll lose the conection again. I have ...

  1. #1

    Default Frequent loss of contact with ISP

    I reciently upgraded my home computer to FreeBSD 5.3 p5. Sense then I've had
    minor problems connecting to my ISP. During boot up it will sometimes freeze
    at the line, "Configuring syscons: keymap blanktime." or I'll lose contact
    with my ISP while sending an email or surfing the web. From an earlier
    posting to this forum I found that "Ctrl+C" will let the system finishing the
    boot up. Then I can easily connect to my ISP by running "/etc/netstart" as
    root.

    Everything works fine at least for a while. However, sooner or later I'll
    lose the conection again. I have not been able to discern a pattern to the
    disconnects either. Yet as soon as I run netstart again everything works
    again. It can be hours before I the lose the connection or sometimes I'll
    lose the connection again within twenty minutes. I've searched for a
    permanent fix by looking throught this forum. But I havn't found anything
    yet. Though that might be because I don't quite know how to search! :-)

    I am a newbie using FreeBSD so any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thank you,
    Ned
    Ned Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Frequent loss of contact with ISP

    Ned Harrison <net> wrote:

    Spend a little time in the /var/log directory and see if anything is being
    logged around the time you lose connection.

    Also, more clearly defining "lose connection" would help. What does
    ifconfig say when the connection is up and when it's down? The
    difference between those two outputs may lead you toward a solution.

    --
    Bill Moran
    Potential Technologies

  3. #3

    On Sunday 20 March 2005 09:55 pm, you wrote:

    > Spend a little time in the /var/log directory and see if anything is being
    > logged around the time you lose connection.
    >
    > Also, more clearly defining "lose connection" would help. What does
    > ifconfig say when the connection is up and when it's down? The
    > difference between those two outputs may lead you toward a solution.[/ref]

    Thank you for the suggestions. I've scanned the log files and didn't see any
    unusual error messages. But that could be because I don't know what to look
    for. I've run FreeBSD for just about one year and had no Unix experience
    prior to that at all. I jumped from Windows, where somebody did everything
    for me to, FreeBSD where I have to figure things out on my own with only
    hints and suggestions. (Honestly, I find it funner this way!) I'll check to
    logs next time it goes down.

    I copied the results from ifconfig when everything is working to a file. As
    soon as I "lose the connection" I'll run ifconfig again.

    To get more defined regarding the loss of connection, it's almost as if I
    typed "ipfw flush" as root and cut myself down to the default "deny
    everything" rule. Sent emails will set unprocessed in the queue, when
    attempting to download e-mail, K-mail will return an unknown host error
    message, web browsers will either open to a blank white page or give me an
    invalid ULR error message. It even went down while viewing a video on Xine.
    The video just stopped, then I got an "invalid host" error message. As soon
    as I type /etc/netstart. Boom! everythings up an running as if nothing was
    ever wrong.

    Thanks again for your suggestions.
    Ned.

    Ned Guest

  4. #4

    Default Fwd: Re: Frequent loss of contact with ISP

    Spend a little time in the /var/log directory and see if anything is being
    logged around the time you lose connection.

    Also, more clearly defining "lose connection" would help. What does
    ifconfig say when the connection is up and when it's down? The
    difference between those two outputs may lead you toward a solution.

    --
    Bill Moran
    Potential Technologies
    http://www.potentialtech.com

    It didn't take too long this time.

    ifconfig when running.

    rl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    options=8<VLAN_MTU>
    inet6 fe80::20d:87ff:fe34:a64c%rl0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
    inet 68.13.119.137 netmask 0xfffffe00 broadcast 68.13.119.255
    ether 00:0d:87:34:a6:4c
    status: active
    plip0: flags=108810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
    inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
    inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

    ifconfig when not running.

    rl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    options=8<VLAN_MTU>
    inet6 fe80::20d:87ff:fe34:a64c%rl0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
    inet 68.13.119.137 netmask 0xfffffe00 broadcast 68.13.119.255
    ether 00:0d:87:34:a6:4c
    status: active
    plip0: flags=108810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
    inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
    inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

    They look the same to me.

    The error message from Konqueror:

    An error occurred while loading
    http://story.news./news?tmpl=story&u=/latimests/20050319/ts_latimes/policyoksfirststriketoprotectus:

    Unknown host story.news.

    Scanning the logs I didn't see any new messages or changes

    Between work and rehearsal, I won't be back on line until Wednesday, so until
    then, thank you very much for your assistence. I do appreciate it.

    Ned

    Ned Guest

  5. #5

    [My apologies to the moderator for the traffic, but I just unsubscribed, and
    I didn't want to leave this person hanging.]

    Ned Harrison <net> wrote:

    > > Spend a little time in the /var/log directory and see if anything is being
    > > logged around the time you lose connection.
    > >
    > > Also, more clearly defining "lose connection" would help. What does
    > > ifconfig say when the connection is up and when it's down? The
    > > difference between those two outputs may lead you toward a solution.[/ref]
    >
    > Thank you for the suggestions. I've scanned the log files and didn't see any
    > unusual error messages. But that could be because I don't know what to look
    > for. I've run FreeBSD for just about one year and had no Unix experience
    > prior to that at all. I jumped from Windows, where somebody did everything
    > for me to, FreeBSD where I have to figure things out on my own with only
    > hints and suggestions. (Honestly, I find it funner this way!) I'll check to
    > logs next time it goes down.
    >
    > I copied the results from ifconfig when everything is working to a file. As
    > soon as I "lose the connection" I'll run ifconfig again.
    >
    > To get more defined regarding the loss of connection, it's almost as if I
    > typed "ipfw flush" as root and cut myself down to the default "deny
    > everything" rule. Sent emails will set unprocessed in the queue, when
    > attempting to download e-mail, K-mail will return an unknown host error
    > message, web browsers will either open to a blank white page or give me an
    > invalid ULR error message. It even went down while viewing a video on Xine.
    > The video just stopped, then I got an "invalid host" error message. As soon
    > as I type /etc/netstart. Boom! everythings up an running as if nothing was
    > ever wrong.[/ref]

    I saw your other email as well, which shows that ifconfig during up/down is
    the same. That means that you're not losing your IP address, and the fact
    that /etc/netstart fixes the problem probably means it's not hardware
    related.

    So the next steps are to tear apart the networking system and figure out
    exactly which part of it is shutting off. First, do these:

    1) Copy /etc/resolv.conf to your home dir: this contains your DNS
    server information.
    2) Save the output of `netstat -rn` (use something like
    `netstat -rn > /home/<username>/netstat.txt` This is your routing
    table.

    Now ... the next time it goes down, check:
    1) Did /etc/resolv.conf change?
    2) Did the output of `netstat -rn` change?
    3) In the netstat output will be a line that starts with "default", see
    if you can ping that IP address - if not, then the problem is probably
    with your switch/hub or other local network.
    4) Try pinging 206.190.36.122 (that's the ip for story.news.),
    if it works, then the problem is likely with DNS.
    5) if #4 works, try pinging story.news. ... if that fails, then
    DNS is almost certainly the problem, if that works, then the problem
    is somewhere in the network config, or application config.

    --
    Bill Moran
    Potential Technologies

  6. #6

    Ned Harrison <net> wrote:

> [...]

    1) Copy /etc/resolv.conf to your home dir: this contains your DNS
    server information.
    2) Save the output of `netstat -rn` (use something like
    `netstat -rn > /home/<username>/netstat.txt` This is your routing
    table.

    Now ... the next time it goes down, check:
    1) Did /etc/resolv.conf change?
    2) Did the output of `netstat -rn` change?
    3) In the netstat output will be a line that starts with "default", see
    if you can ping that IP address - if not, then the problem is probably
    with your switch/hub or other local network.
    4) Try pinging 206.190.36.122 (that's the ip for story.news.),
    if it works, then the problem is likely with DNS.
    5) if #4 works, try pinging story.news. ... if that fails, then
    DNS is almost certainly the problem, if that works, then the problem
    is somewhere in the network config, or application config.

    Thanks for the help. I believe you are correct in that it's probably not a
    hardware issue. I dual boot with Linux and I am having no problems
    connecting to the internet on that side.

    System didn't go down Wednesday, but it went down today. The output of
    netstat -rn didn't change. I tried to ping the IP address after the word
    default in line 3. Here is the output:

    nedsbsd# ping -a -c 3 -o 68.13.118.1
    PING 68.13.118.1 (68.13.118.1): 56 data bytes
    ping: sendto: Permission denied
    ping: sendto: Permission denied
    ping: sendto: Permission denied

    --- 68.13.118.1 ping statistics ---

    However, when I ran /etc/netstart and tried it again I got the same result.

    I don't have a local network or hub or switch. So could the problem be with
    my ISP? I will try the ping command the Linux side to see what I get.

    After that I'll pull out the holy water, incense, and rubber chicken to see
    if that will help!

    Thanks,
    Ned

    Ned Guest

  7. #7

    Default Re: Re: Frequent loss of contact with ISP

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:12:31 +0000, Ned Harrison <net> wrote:

> [...]
    > if it works, then the problem is likely with DNS.
    > 5) if #4 works, try pinging story.news. ... if that fails, then
    > DNS is almost certainly the problem, if that works, then the problem
    > is somewhere in the network config, or application config.
    >
    > --
    > Bill Moran
    > Potential Technologies
    > http://www.potentialtech.com

    > Thanks for the help. I believe you are correct in that it's probably not a
    > hardware issue. I dual boot with Linux and I am having no problems
    > connecting to the internet on that side.
    >
    > System didn't go down Wednesday, but it went down today. The output of
    > netstat -rn didn't change. I tried to ping the IP address after the word
    > default in line 3. Here is the output:
    >
    > nedsbsd# ping -a -c 3 -o 68.13.118.1
    > PING 68.13.118.1 (68.13.118.1): 56 data bytes

    That looks like a misconfigured firewall. Do you have it completely
    locked down? ping is telling you "I can't do that"

    GS
    Gary Guest