Professional Web Applications Themes

Fresh Install 507 results & SWiM People... - SCO

Hi folks! I'm back Here is my latest attempt at fresh install 507 with DS and lastest Merge 1) HD installed on host 1 ID 6 (ad160) 2) CD installed on host 0 ID 5 (ad160) 3) Boot from CDrom 4) defbootstr Sdsk=ad160(1,0,6,0) 5) use upgrade license (3KD003...) 6) graphical install 7) defer NIC 8) reboot 9) defbootstr Sdsk=ad160(0,0,6,0) 10) edit /etc/conf/cf.d/mscsi, swap 0's and 1's for "number" 11) relink 12) reboot (no defbootstr needed) 13) single user login 14) scoadmin license, add old license (2DG003...) - got a tclerror during kernel tuning, license appears to be installed 15) install ...

  1. #1

    Default Fresh Install 507 results & SWiM People...

    Hi folks!

    I'm back

    Here is my latest attempt at fresh install 507 with DS and
    lastest Merge

    1) HD installed on host 1 ID 6 (ad160)

    2) CD installed on host 0 ID 5 (ad160)

    3) Boot from CDrom

    4) defbootstr Sdsk=ad160(1,0,6,0)

    5) use upgrade license (3KD003...)

    6) graphical install

    7) defer NIC

    8) reboot

    9) defbootstr Sdsk=ad160(0,0,6,0)

    10) edit /etc/conf/cf.d/mscsi, swap 0's and 1's
    for "number"

    11) relink

    12) reboot (no defbootstr needed)

    13) single user login

    14) scoadmin license, add old license (2DG003...)

    - got a tclerror during kernel tuning,
    license appears to be installed

    15) install SMP, defer licensing

    16) install MP1

    - must be installed before DS so that we can
    use the old DS license

    - I suppose I could of installed DS and
    defered licensing, installed MP1, then
    license DS

    17) install DS, use old license (2DG004...)

    18) install UP1

    - it won't install !

    -System is not registered -or-
    -No SCO Update Service Enabler License -or-
    -SCO Update Service Enabler License is
    not registered

    - They make my life miserable, I'm with SWIM,
    why should I have to pay more for SCO Update
    Service in order to install UP1! )

    19) install merge 5323a, using upgrade
    license (3KD003...)

    20) edit /usr/merge/Version and /usr/lib/merge/Version
    to change "sco32" to "sco"

    21) dosinstall, option 1, 3 disks

    22) edit /usr/merge/Version and /usr/lib/merge/Version
    to change "sco" back to "sco32"

    23) add "install=mrgtsr.exe"
    to /usr/merge/image/config.mki

    24) run mkimg

    25) install NIC software

    26) install NIC into networking, setup IP etc...

    27) reboot

    DOS works in non-X mode, this was my goal

    All seems fine except for an out of semaphores during boot

    28) add semaphores to kernel

    29) relink

    - kslgen: cannot determine major/minor numbers
    for node /dev/vnetint
    - kernel not linked

    30) no practical answers found for kslgen error above.
    tried googling, coppernicing and sco knownledge base

    Today (Wed Oct 23) I learned 2 things while talking
    to SCO Sales

    1) SWiM program was an outsourced thing
    2) SCO is no longer associated/tied with SWiM people

    I renewed the SWiM program for 3 years a couple
    of months back and now I would have to dish out extra
    for SCO's own SCO Update Service.... come on!

    Any practical comments/suggestions are more than appreciated.

    Thanks

    Marc Champagne

    Marc Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Fresh Install 507 results & SWiM People...

    "Marc Champagne" <DOT.com> wrote in message

    You need to install *and* register the SCO Update Service
    license before you can install UP1. Perhaps the Update
    license was included your latest SWIM package? Or
    perhaps it was inadvertently left out?

    You need to reboot after this step. Did you?

    You need to install and config your NIC before installing
    Merge, otherwise it has problems configuring its virtual
    networking (vnet) component.

    At this point, you should uninstall Merge, increase your
    semaphores, and then re-install Merge & DOS as above.

    Bob

    Bob Guest

  3. #3

    "Bob Bailin" <com> wrote in

    > You need to install *and* register the SCO Update Service
    > license before you can install UP1. Perhaps the Update
    > license was included your latest SWIM package? Or
    > perhaps it was inadvertently left out?[/ref]

    Looks like it was left-out, anybody know what channels I
    should be barking up to rectify this, calling the 800 number
    in the SWiM deliverables reaches SCO Sales not the SWiM
    people, who (from what I was told by SCO) are not
    associated/tied with SCO anymore.

    I've started to consider dropping SCO (after 15 years)
    and am currently investigating what other OS I may switch to
    before upgrading to 507.

    If the options are no good, we will most likely stop all
    future upgrades and stick to 506 indefinetely as it does what
    we need.

    > You need to reboot after this step. Did you?[/ref]

    Do not remember, I noted it for next reinstall

    > You need to install and config your NIC before installing
    > Merge, otherwise it has problems configuring its virtual
    > networking (vnet) component.[/ref]

    Makes a whole lot of sense! noted.

     [/ref]

    Marc Guest

  4. #4

    "Marc Champagne" <DOT.com> wrote in message
    news:35.177.135... [/ref][/ref]

    Forgot to mention this in my last post, but the DS *is*
    patched by mp1, so you should defer licensing rather
    than installing it after mp1.

    > > You need to install *and* register the SCO Update Service
    > > license before you can install UP1. Perhaps the Update
    > > license was included your latest SWIM package? Or
    > > perhaps it was inadvertently left out?[/ref]
    >

    > Looks like it was left-out, anybody know what channels I
    > should be barking up to rectify this, calling the 800 number
    > in the SWiM deliverables reaches SCO Sales not the SWiM
    > people, who (from what I was told by SCO) are not
    > associated/tied with SCO anymore.
    >
    > I've started to consider dropping SCO (after 15 years)
    > and am currently investigating what other OS I may switch to
    > before upgrading to 507.
    >
    > If the options are no good, we will most likely stop all
    > future upgrades and stick to 506 indefinetely as it does what
    > we need.
    >

    > > You need to reboot after this step. Did you?[/ref]
    >
    > Do not remember, I noted it for next reinstall

    > > You need to install and config your NIC before installing
    > > Merge, otherwise it has problems configuring its virtual
    > > networking (vnet) component.[/ref]
    >

    > Makes a whole lot of sense! noted.
    >
    > [/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Bob Guest

  5. #5

    Bob Bailin typed (on Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 08:47:46PM +0000):
    | "Marc Champagne" <DOT.com> wrote in message
    | > "Bob Bailin" <com> wrote in

    | Forgot to mention this in my last post, but the DS *is*
    | patched by mp1, so you should defer licensing rather
    | than installing it after mp1.

    What? Deferring licensing has nothing to do with the order of
    installation. License whenver you like, but if B patches A, then A
    should be installed before B.

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Guest

  6. #6

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:

    It relates because raw OSR507 rejects pre-507 development system
    licenses, but it isn't supposed to. Installing OSR507MP1 fixes that.
    So if you have an old DS license, you must:

    install OSR507
    install OSR507 DS, deferring the license
    install OSR507MP1
    license the DS

    Another route is:

    install OSR507
    install OSR507MP1
    install OSR507 DS (apply license during installation)
    install OSR507MP1, drilling down into its components and selecting
    only the DS portions

    Bela Guest

  7. #7

    Jean-Pierre Radley <com> wrote in

    Except when you are stuck with a pre-507 license for DS

    DS will not accept a pre-507 license unless MP1 is install
    first.

    The reasoning (I have not tried yet) is to install DS, defer
    licensing, install MP1, license DS with pre-507 license.

    --
    Marc Champagne
    marcch.AT.videotron.DOT.ca

  8. #8

    Bela Lubkin <com> wrote in

    > It relates because raw OSR507 rejects pre-507 development
    > system licenses, but it isn't supposed to.[/ref]

    Not supposed to!... now that is a good one! too late, I have
    no more hair to pull out :)

    --
    Marc Champagne
    marcch.AT.videotron.DOT.ca