Professional Web Applications Themes

From Photoshop to Illustrator - Adobe Illustrator Windows

If I have a chili pepper with a TX flag designed in PhotoShop, can I easily move it to Illustrator to be part of a logo...instead of redesigning in Illustrator. This is my first logo. I need it to go on a postcard as well as some promotional materials...YIKES, what size do I set the page up for? Help me! Jenn...

  1. #1

    Default From Photoshop to Illustrator

    Jennifer_C_Marshall-Higgins@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: From Photoshop to Illustrator

    The first thing is what resolution (and what size) in photoshop was the logo designed?

    2nd thing is what sort of printing is going to be done? Spot? Full color?
    Philip_Peterson@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    The Photoshop image will have to be saved in proper color space (likely CMYK). The new Illustrator file will have to be set up as CMYK. Place the Photoshop image into the doent. You won't be able to resize the Photoshop image (at least not scale it any larger) without the pixel grid becoming noticeable.

    Here's my 2 cents on using Photoshop for designing logos.

    All logos should be designed originally in vector format. Use Illustrator to design logos -or at least arrive at the finished design. Vector-based logos are vastly superior since they can be resized without any loss of quality.

    Photoshop User Magazine should stop doing all those logo design articles every issue. It is very irresponsible of them -not to mention a waste of time for most computer users.

    It is a very common mistake for people to use Photoshop to design logos. They get themselves into quite a pickle when they need to use the logo in a process that requires vector-based artwork. It is very easy to take vector-based artwork from Illustrator into Photoshop and dress it up with all sorts of fades and stuff. It is at least inconvenient and commonly very difficult to take a bitmap-based logo and make a professional quality vector-based version of it.

    I work at a large sign manufacturing company. It is a very common occurence for me to deal with customer provided art files that come only in bitmap form -typically a JPEG image saved out of Photoshop or another raster image editing application like Paint Shop Pro. Computer driven routers and vinyl cutters require 100% vector based artwork. Bitmaps will not work. We wind up having to convert the artwork, often carefully through rebuilding vector objects by hand using the bitmap image as a guide. It is a time consuming process -one that is not cheap.
    Bobby_Henderson@adobeforums.com Guest