Professional Web Applications Themes

From Totally Frustrated - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Thanks, Beth and Ray. I'm still frustrated but less so simply because you took the time to answer me. Thank you so much. Still haven't figured out the palettes thing, but am getting there. Next question: When I "save as" I usually give the file a name that means something to me. Everything seems to work but when I try to find that file again, I can't. Also, after I've downloaded several images from my camera, is there a way to save them all? Am I too far ahead of myself? Trying to plow through the user quide is hard ...

  1. #1

    Default From Totally Frustrated

    Thanks, Beth and Ray. I'm still frustrated but less so simply because you took the time to answer me. Thank you so much. Still haven't figured out the palettes thing, but am getting there. Next question: When I "save as" I usually give the file a name that means something to me. Everything seems to work but when I try to find that file again, I can't. Also, after I've downloaded several images from my camera, is there a way to save them all? Am I too far ahead of myself? Trying to plow through the user quide is hard when I can't keep an image I want to work on in front of me. Thanks again for your time. Thanks to anyone who can help. Anne
    Anne_Rigsby@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

  3. #3

    Default Re: From Totally Frustrated

    Anne, when you get the dialog box after choosing Save As, there's a display near the top that shows you which folder on your hard drive is currently open, and that's also where the newly converted image will go, too, unless you change the location. While you have the Save As dialog box open, you need to pay close attention to what that says and scroll through to a different folder if you don't want your new image to wind up in the default one. I've "lost" images more than once myself by forgetting to put something where I meant for it to be. It's us that's messing up, though! Unfortunately.

    As to your second question, I'm not quite sure what you're asking. When you download images from your camera to your computer, you are saving them. Are you asking about where they're going and how to control that, or ???
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I'm not sure this will answer your question, but I will give it a try. I always download all of my pictures from my camera before I ever start working on them. I don't use Photoshop Elements to do this. I don't know what kind of camera you have, but most cameras include software that will assist you in downloading your pictures. Personally, I use the free software that is available from Ofoto. I won't go into the details as to why I use it, but it works very well with my routine. When you use the "Save As" option, make sure you pay attention to the name of the folder where the picture is going to be saved. I usually like to create a new folder within the folder where I saved the downloaded pictures, and I put all of my edited photos within this additional folder. Then, you should be able to locate them with your file browser.
    Jim_Hess@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Anne,

    I would suggest you get a book on Elements, or perhaps join an on-line class. I know of a class that would get you started in no time. As for books, the ones I have are not exactly "from ground up", so surely some people here could suggest good books on the subject. The one comming to my mind is Photoshop Elements Solutions (either the version 1 or 2). Surely, there are other good books.

    Ray
    Raymond Guest

  6. #6

    Beth,

    When I transfer images from my camera to my computer they get saved in a temporary file. I can see that file as I am in the "explorer-window". There I can see the file filling up with images untill they are all there. I then do "select all" and transfer via drag and drop, the whole bunch in one go to a folder I created beforehand inside the elements folder. Folders like that I always give typical names like automn sunday or sunny day1 etc.
    Then I delete the temporary file which means I empty the flashcard in my camera as well. The latter saves me getting the card out of my camera thus less chance of damaging it. May this is what Anne does too.

    Robert
    Schraven_Robert@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Robert, I use a Mac, so my workflow is a little different. I don't remember what platform Anne is on, so maybe you've hit the nail on the head. I use a reader, so I just copy the images from the card into a newly created folder on my hard drive and don't have any temp folders to contend with. I don't usually empty the flash card until I've verified that all of the pictures have been transferred and open properly, though, because I'm not as daring as you are! :)
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Anne,

    When I first started using elements I borrowed a book from our local library. I called in the library today to get the details for you ... It is called "Absolute Beginner's guide to Photoshop Elements 2" and is by Lisa Lee.

    I used it for a couple of months and then I was ready to move on to something more complicated but it got me started.

    When you get stuck just ask as many questions as you want ... we have all been at the same stage you are. Just give yourself a couple of months and you will be answering questions for other people :)
    Wendy_E_Williams@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Anne,

    If you are not using a Card Reader to download images from your camera memory card to your PC, you should really consider spending the $20 to get this USB device. This method allows fast and safe transfer and doesn't require your camera teetering on your desk.

    This is what I do...

    * remove card from camera
    * insert into card reader
    * a new drive is listed on your computer
    * images are in a subfolder of that drive
    * create a new folder on your PC, copy/paste all images into this
    * in PSE, go to File>Automate>Batch
    * point the program to your new folder
    * set up the Batch to convert all files to .psd format (native PSE)
    * you can also change the resolution here if desired
    * for a destination folder; set it to a second new folder (which you need to create) or could point to source folder again (if you did it this way, you'd have to go back to that folder and delete all the .jpg ones if your camera produced jpgs)
    * burn the contents of your new folder to a CD for safe keeping
    * either clear the card while still in the Reader or return to camera and delete all images
    * use the Contact Sheet feature in PSE to produce a printed sheet of thumbnails of the contents of your folder so it will be easy to locate a particular one later
    * since you should ALWAYS work on a copy, pull up an image from your new folder, duplicate it, close the 'original'

    Somewhere in your process you can rename your images. This is best done after converting to .psd. The secret to using Save As and finding it later, is to pay strict attention to the folder listed on that dialog box. It will probably have the last folder you used listed as the folder it will save to. Just make sure the folder listed is the one you want. If it is not, just navigate in that dialog box so that the desired folder for saving location is listed. Many people have suffered the frustration you are dealing with in not being able to find the image later. Don't despair, just pay attention to and change if needed, the folder that is listed in the Save As box.

    Nancy
    Nancy_S@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    You know what? I could have sworn I answered this post yesterday. Maybe this forum is eating replies, because I know how to check the Previous page! Or wait a minute - is this the one that was posted twice? Maybe that's where my answer is. Sorry. :)
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Beth,

    Well I am the dummy if I wrote all that for a duplicate post!

  12. #12

    No, there is actually two identical threads. Beth, you did answer it in the other thread.
    Raymond Guest

  13. #13

    No, no, no! I didn't mean you were a dummy! But you know what else? I don't think the poster has been back to look at any of the replies.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Anne, I am very new at this also and understand the frustration. I must have read the manual three times. It helped immensely looking up and going through web tutorials not to mention reading through the forum posts. First off, are you possibly thinking elements has a photo storage area? It doesn't. It just looks up your picture files and lets you access them via the file browser. Next up, you are still having problems with the palette well? Is your well too full...have you got every palette checked in the pull down menu thus over crowding your palette well...If so that could be why you can't access the individual palettes (I had that problem when I first installed PSE 2). If this is the problem, uncheck a few palettes you don't need with each edit to give you some "pull space". Another option (instead of pulling tabs) is to use function keys to display and put away each palette: F5 to display file browser (press same key again to put it away...works this way with all of these function key commands); F6 to display recipes; F7 to display filters; F8 to display effects; F9 to display layer styles; F10 to display history; F11 to display layers; F12 to display hints. I hope this helps ease a little of your frustration.

    Terri

    Terri
    Terri_Foster@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    From not-so-frustrated: I'm doing better thanks to everyone who offered help. It seems I learn best from a list of steps or just trying things until I hit on something. My frustration level is manageable now and I owe that all to you. You've kept me going. Figured out downloading images, am still working on palettes and now am stumped on printing out different images on one page. Or is that an option I made up on my own? Forgive me, my brain's pretty full. However, did manage to fix up a photo that now looks great. I'm pumped! Thanks again for all the help and support. Keep it coming when you have time. Anne
    Anne_Rigsby@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Anne,

    Yes, you can print multiple images on a page. You just create a new blank doent (8.5 x 11) at a resolution suitable for printing (200-300ppi). Open the images you want to print and make sure these images have the same resolution as your blank one. You just drag or copy and paste the images onto the new doent. Using the Move tool respositions them or you can rotate them. Make sure you have the Layers Palette visible on screen.

    Post #12 talks about resizing to 5x7 and printing two on a page
    <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?7.2cce08a0/11>
    Nancy_S@adobeforums.com Guest