Professional Web Applications Themes

FRUSTRATED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Macromedia Flash

I need help people..... I am tryng to build a website in Flash. The entire website is in Flash. I know how the heck to do motion and shape tweening, how the heck to change the alpha properties, etc. I am trying to pick up a book that talks ONLY about building a site in Flash.....and no mumbo-jumbo about what a stage is, what are layers, etc. That stuff is for beginners. Does anyone know of any books that talk about simply building a site in flash? I mean, where the objective of the book is to take the user ...

  1. #1

    Default FRUSTRATED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I need help people.....

    I am tryng to build a website in Flash. The entire website is in Flash. I
    know how the heck to do motion and shape tweening, how the heck to change
    the alpha properties, etc. I am trying to pick up a book that talks ONLY
    about building a site in Flash.....and no mumbo-jumbo about what a stage is,
    what are layers, etc. That stuff is for beginners. Does anyone know of any
    books that talk about simply building a site in flash? I mean, where the
    objective of the book is to take the user through the site building process
    and does NOT talk about the beginner stuff like what layers are, or how to
    attach sounds, etc.

    And help in the right direction will be appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Karen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: FRUSTRATED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    So you know how to do motion and shape tweening, changing alpha properties,
    what a stage is, what are layers... Flash for beginners basically. But let
    me get this straight - you ONLY want to learn how to build a site in Flash?
    Sounds like you don't need a book. You just need to put all your skills in
    action and build yourself a website.

    The next step in your Flash skills will be action script and there's many
    books out there for that. In the interim however, build a flash based
    website using all your current skills. There's gonna be no doubt you'll
    learn something else in the process.

    - Bruce

    "Karen" <karim_mawanisympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > I need help people.....
    >
    > I am tryng to build a website in Flash. The entire website is in Flash. I
    > know how the heck to do motion and shape tweening, how the heck to change
    > the alpha properties, etc. I am trying to pick up a book that talks ONLY
    > about building a site in Flash.....and no mumbo-jumbo about what a stage
    is,
    > what are layers, etc. That stuff is for beginners. Does anyone know of any
    > books that talk about simply building a site in flash? I mean, where the
    > objective of the book is to take the user through the site building
    process
    > and does NOT talk about the beginner stuff like what layers are, or how to
    > attach sounds, etc.
    >
    > And help in the right direction will be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Bruce Guest

  3. #3

    Thank you Bruce.

    "Bruce" <bruceprobiz.com.au> wrote in message
    > So you know how to do motion and shape tweening, changing alpha
    properties,
    > what a stage is, what are layers... Flash for beginners basically. But let
    > me get this straight - you ONLY want to learn how to build a site in
    Flash?
    > Sounds like you don't need a book. You just need to put all your skills in
    > action and build yourself a website.
    >
    > The next step in your Flash skills will be action script and there's many
    > books out there for that. In the interim however, build a flash based
    > website using all your current skills. There's gonna be no doubt you'll
    > learn something else in the process.
    >
    > - Bruce
    >
    > "Karen" <karim_mawanisympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > > I need help people.....
    > >
    > > I am tryng to build a website in Flash. The entire website is in Flash.
    > > know how the heck to do motion and shape tweening, how the heck to
    change
    > > the alpha properties, etc. I am trying to pick up a book that talks ONLY
    > > about building a site in Flash.....and no mumbo-jumbo about what a stage
    > is,
    > > what are layers, etc. That stuff is for beginners. Does anyone know of
    any
    > > books that talk about simply building a site in flash? I mean, where the
    > > objective of the book is to take the user through the site building
    > process
    > > and does NOT talk about the beginner stuff like what layers are, or how
    > > attach sounds, etc.
    > >
    > > And help in the right direction will be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    Karen Guest

  4. #4

    thats great advice and also the way i learned

    HTML basics >> full HTML site >> FLASH basics >> FLASH actionscript >>
    full FLASH website with lots o funky stuff

    i'd give a url but im modest

    Nex :)

    On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 17:19:36 +0930, "Bruce" <bruceprobiz.com.au>
    wrote:
    >So you know how to do motion and shape tweening, changing alpha properties,
    >what a stage is, what are layers... Flash for beginners basically. But let
    >me get this straight - you ONLY want to learn how to build a site in Flash?
    >Sounds like you don't need a book. You just need to put all your skills in
    >action and build yourself a website.
    >
    >The next step in your Flash skills will be action script and there's many
    >books out there for that. In the interim however, build a flash based
    >website using all your current skills. There's gonna be no doubt you'll
    >learn something else in the process.
    >
    >- Bruce
    >
    >"Karen" <karim_mawanisympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >news:vzmeb.2316$r.444182news20.bellglobal.com. ..
    >> I need help people.....
    >>
    >> I am tryng to build a website in Flash. The entire website is in Flash. I
    >> know how the heck to do motion and shape tweening, how the heck to change
    >> the alpha properties, etc. I am trying to pick up a book that talks ONLY
    >> about building a site in Flash.....and no mumbo-jumbo about what a stage
    >is,
    >> what are layers, etc. That stuff is for beginners. Does anyone know of any
    >> books that talk about simply building a site in flash? I mean, where the
    >> objective of the book is to take the user through the site building
    >process
    >> and does NOT talk about the beginner stuff like what layers are, or how to
    >> attach sounds, etc.
    >>
    >> And help in the right direction will be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    yo mama Guest

  5. #5

    PS your flash site?.. try to have only 1 frame on the main stage.. as
    many layers as you need, but keeping to 1 frame, i find, helps keep it
    much more ordered and easy to track everything.

    post here for anything else :)

    wrote:
    >So you know how to do motion and shape tweening, changing alpha properties,
    >what a stage is, what are layers... Flash for beginners basically. But let
    >me get this straight - you ONLY want to learn how to build a site in Flash?
    >Sounds like you don't need a book. You just need to put all your skills in
    >action and build yourself a website.
    >
    >The next step in your Flash skills will be action script and there's many
    >books out there for that. In the interim however, build a flash based
    >website using all your current skills. There's gonna be no doubt you'll
    >learn something else in the process.
    >
    >- Bruce
    >
    >"Karen" <karim_mawanisympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >news:vzmeb.2316$r.444182news20.bellglobal.com. ..
    >> I need help people.....
    >>
    >> I am tryng to build a website in Flash. The entire website is in Flash. I
    >> know how the heck to do motion and shape tweening, how the heck to change
    >> the alpha properties, etc. I am trying to pick up a book that talks ONLY
    >> about building a site in Flash.....and no mumbo-jumbo about what a stage
    >is,
    >> what are layers, etc. That stuff is for beginners. Does anyone know of any
    >> books that talk about simply building a site in flash? I mean, where the
    >> objective of the book is to take the user through the site building
    >process
    >> and does NOT talk about the beginner stuff like what layers are, or how to
    >> attach sounds, etc.
    >>
    >> And help in the right direction will be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    yo mama Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks to all of you. I have picked up a book titled "Action Script for
    Designers" by Doug Sahlin. Its helping me a lot so far. For some reason, I
    was always under the impression that Action Scripting was for those seasoned
    programmers/developers. And therefore, when looking for a book to fit my
    needs, I always overlooked the books on Action Scripting.

    Thanks again for all your suggestions.

    -K

    "Karen" <karim_mawanisympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > I need help people.....
    >
    > I am tryng to build a website in Flash. The entire website is in Flash. I
    > know how the heck to do motion and shape tweening, how the heck to change
    > the alpha properties, etc. I am trying to pick up a book that talks ONLY
    > about building a site in Flash.....and no mumbo-jumbo about what a stage
    is,
    > what are layers, etc. That stuff is for beginners. Does anyone know of any
    > books that talk about simply building a site in flash? I mean, where the
    > objective of the book is to take the user through the site building
    process
    > and does NOT talk about the beginner stuff like what layers are, or how to
    > attach sounds, etc.
    >
    > And help in the right direction will be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Karen Guest

  7. #7

    You know, I have found the teach in 24 hours book really usefull. If I am
    ever hazy on anything, I just use the index. It covers a lot of stuff.
    But, I guess I would be considered a "beginer" so I don't know how much my
    opinion counts.

    BUT... since we are talking about action script... read my post "Help UI
    Component" 10/02/2003 and see if you can help me (any of you). I have hit a
    brick wall and I can't go forward until I straighten this wrinkle out.

    THANKS!

    "Karen" <karim_mawanisympatico.ca> wrote in message
    news:DZXeb.5678$op2.663695news20.bellglobal.com.. .
    > Thanks to all of you. I have picked up a book titled "Action Script for
    > Designers" by Doug Sahlin. Its helping me a lot so far. For some reason, I
    > was always under the impression that Action Scripting was for those
    seasoned
    > programmers/developers. And therefore, when looking for a book to fit my
    > needs, I always overlooked the books on Action Scripting.
    >
    > Thanks again for all your suggestions.
    >
    > -K
    >
    > "Karen" <karim_mawanisympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > > I need help people.....
    > >
    > > I am tryng to build a website in Flash. The entire website is in Flash.
    > > know how the heck to do motion and shape tweening, how the heck to
    change
    > > the alpha properties, etc. I am trying to pick up a book that talks ONLY
    > > about building a site in Flash.....and no mumbo-jumbo about what a stage
    > is,
    > > what are layers, etc. That stuff is for beginners. Does anyone know of
    any
    > > books that talk about simply building a site in flash? I mean, where the
    > > objective of the book is to take the user through the site building
    > process
    > > and does NOT talk about the beginner stuff like what layers are, or how
    > > attach sounds, etc.
    > >
    > > And help in the right direction will be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    Mike Watt Guest

  8. #8

    That's right. I've given up buying books to read through from start to end
    in the hope I'll learn. It's a great philosophy if you're a beginner and
    have got no idea, but if you're intermediate/advanced you'll always end up
    going over old stuff. I buy books for it's instant "I've forgotten how to do
    something" or "How do they do that" results. Going straight to the index is
    the general answer.

    news:NW3fb.39234$Of2.1856148twister.tampabay.rr.c om...

    Bruce Guest

  9. #9

    No worries Karen. Good luck.

    - Bruce

    news:R9yeb.3114$Tu2.525282news20.bellglobal.com.. .

    Bruce Guest

  10. #10

    ditto what everyone has said so far...

    No way around it, have to dig in your heels and get silly
    w/ the ActionScript. Can be very frustrating in the
    beginning, especially for non-programmers, but at some
    point you'll have your "Aha!" eureka moment and it all
    makes sense and you're going nuts scripting everything!

    Would recommend two books just the same:

    *ActionScript, The Definitive Guide* by Colin Moock
    ([url]http://www.moock.org/asdg[/url])

    A classic, THE ActionScript bible, straight froward and to the point.

    *Flash To The Core* by Joshua Davis ([url]http://flashtothecore.praystation.com[/url])

    By Flash guru Josh Davis ([url]www.joshuadavis.com[/url]). Starts off with some
    beginner stuff, like what you're trying to avoid but builds rapidly to some
    complex scripting. Very engaging and is definitely along the lines of what
    you're looking for I think. It shows his process for designing sites and
    takes you through it. Very philosophical in some ways as he tries to get
    ones mind to start thinking about working in Flash as he does...

    Thats my two cents anyway :)

    :: From: Karen On: 9/30/2003 3:28 PM ::
    > I need help people.....
    >
    > I am tryng to build a website in Flash. The entire website is in Flash. I
    > know how the heck to do motion and shape tweening, how the heck to change
    > the alpha properties, etc. I am trying to pick up a book that talks ONLY
    > about building a site in Flash.....and no mumbo-jumbo about what a stage is,
    > what are layers, etc. That stuff is for beginners. Does anyone know of any
    > books that talk about simply building a site in flash? I mean, where the
    > objective of the book is to take the user through the site building process
    > and does NOT talk about the beginner stuff like what layers are, or how to
    > attach sounds, etc.
    >
    > And help in the right direction will be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Carsten Guest