Professional Web Applications Themes

Frustration: Mac->Windows is not WYSIWYG - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I'm using Dreamweaver MX on Mac. Pages look as designed when viewing with Mac Explorer 5. But when viewed with Explorer on Windows, pages are not as designed. I understand the different platform issues (72 vs 75 dpi screen resolution), different "button" sizes, etc. etc. However, I'm having real issues with tables "ing out", unexplained extra table depth, etc. Comments? Any other Mac users out there? What are your experiences?...

  1. #1

    Default Frustration: Mac->Windows is not WYSIWYG

    I'm using Dreamweaver MX on Mac. Pages look as designed when viewing with Mac Explorer 5. But when viewed with Explorer on Windows, pages are not as designed. I understand the different platform issues (72 vs 75 dpi screen resolution), different "button" sizes, etc. etc. However, I'm having real issues with tables "ing out", unexplained extra table depth, etc.

    Comments? Any other Mac users out there? What are your experiences?

    thinkbible Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Frustration: Mac->Windows is not WYSIWYG

    "thinkbible" com wrote:

    Hi

    Do you have a url to your problem page?

    --
    Cheers jojo
    Team Macromedia Member Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX

    jojo Guest

  3. #3

    think:

    You mean 72 vs. 96 dpi, right?

    extra table depth, etc.

    This is usually caused by hinky table code, such as that produced by FW/IR
    or Layout Mode. Can you show me a page? When I build my pages manually
    (i.e., not using code written by a wizard or graphics program) the pages
    look nominally the same on Macs and PCs.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "thinkbible" <com> wrote in message
    Mac Explorer 5. But when viewed with Explorer on Windows, pages are not as
    designed. I understand the different platform issues (72 vs 75 dpi screen
    resolution), different "button" sizes, etc. etc. However, I'm having real
    issues with tables "ing out", unexplained extra table depth, etc.

    Murray Guest

  4. #4

    Reply to both answers:

    My issues are general in nature. I'll supply a url but it's fixed now. As always I "fix" the problem by changing something. I work/edit in both layout and code mode, but mostly in layout. Just as an example...

    I had a page http://www.thinkbible.org/bookstore.html with three columns. The columns widths were set as percentages of the main table (they added up to 100%). When I looked uploaded page (I use remote web host) with Explorer on Mac it was exactly as shown in Dreamweaver. When I looked at the page on Windows the rightmost column was about three times as wide. Now.. It's hard to "debug" something on the Mac when it looks OK. You have to tweak, upload, load at on Windows... etc. etc..

    I did two things to "fix" the problem. I removed a table (I initially had a table within the in the entire right column) and I had to reduce the character width of the "subscribe" form at the top of the column.

    And worse... this may not "fix" the problem until you "reset" all the col widths again and just "play" with their widths. After lots of "play" the col finally came out setting the right width.

    Again.. I'm not asking about this specific problem...

    I'm asking in general.. What is the point of having a "page layout" view that looks good with Explorer on Mac but not Windows..

    I'm a die-hard Mac user... but I'm beginning to think I need to get a Windows product to build pages. Do people have this same issue on Windows? (What you see is Not what you get?)

    Right now I design on my Mac.. upload and "proof" on Windows (I have both platforms)

    thinkbible Guest

  5. #5

    think:

    that looks good with Explorer on Mac but not Windows..

    In my experience, good table code looks good in DW's Design View *and* on
    both Macs and PCs. I have both platforms, and use DMX on both. If the
    table code is solid, the layout is solid.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

[...]
    platforms)

    Murray Guest

  6. #6

    I have no facts to quote on this but in my opinion Mac is the industry standard for graphic designers in the 'print world'. In the 'web world' the PC is the norm. I think you would run in to less problems if you created the site on a PC, and used the Mac for creating the Graphics.

    keithst Guest

  7. #7

    In a past life I was Director of Publishing for a large yellow page company. I had 50+ Mac artists reporting to me. I can't tell the the battles I fought with the I.S. guys!

    I know the Mac. I also know that windows is 90% plus of the users out there. My question is:
    What is the use of having a web page Design View on a Mac software product when it does not reflect that the "world" is going to see. Why even offer Dreamweaver for Mac if it can't design pages that looks the same on Explorer Mac and Explorer Windows?

    Again, I'm talking table widths, etc... Not dpi differences or button "look" differences, etc.

    thinkbible Guest

  8. #8

    keith:

    and used the Mac for creating the Graphics.

    I don't agree. In my experience it really makes no (or very little)
    difference.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  9. #9

    I develop on a Mac, and have none of these problems. In which browsers are you checking your pages?
    You should at least check in IE5, NN4, NN7 and in Safari perhaps.
    Mick

    mick_white Guest

  10. #10

    dreamweaver works the same and produces the same code when the same buttons
    are pushed--- on Macintosh AND Windows.

    Your pages would have the same problems if you were using dreamweaver on
    Windows. It's something in your workflow methods, or way you are trying to
    layout the page- not the tool.

    Would need to see a couple example pages before they are "fixed" for
    specific info on what's wrong.

    Certified Dreamweaver MX Developer

    Alan Guest

  11. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    mick_white Guest
    Moderated Post

  12. #12

    Not without seeing URL.
    Mick

    Here it is again: http://www.thinkbible.org/bookstore.html

    But like I say.. I shortened the "subscribe" text field and it's Ok now. (on a Mac the form field is about half the width as you see on windows. So if you make it bigger it fit's on Mac OK but "s out" when viewed with windows Explorer.)

    thinkbible Guest

  13. #13

    think:

    Here's the point. You can use DW to build pages that look terrible in every
    browser, or you can use it to build pages that only look terrible in some
    browsers, but not all browsers. DW will not prevent you from doing goofy
    things, like merging/splitting cells in a table, or converting layers to
    tables, or using DW/FW pop-up menus, or using Layout Mode to build your
    tables.

    But if you know HTML and ancillary methods, and you know what is the right
    way to do things (I don't mean that you know HTML, etc., comprehensively),
    you can also use DW to build pages that look the same on all browsers, and
    in the DW design view (as much as possible). That being said, there are
    also many things that simply do not render properly in DMX's design view -
    try CSS positioning, or relatively positioned page elements, for example.
    You just need to know what and how to manage that.

    In your case, I'd guess the problem was related to formatting of form
    elements, and to read more about how to do that, go here -

    http://www.mako4css.com/CSSFAQ.htm

    or

    http://www.mako4css.com/cssforms.htm

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  14. #14

    Here is our commercial solution that properly uses tables and does NOT use
    the layout view. It has got a few demos web pages that you can get started
    with. Free evaluation download.

    http://www.decloak.com/Products/Dreamweaver/NestedTemplates/Templates.aspx

    dc
    decloak, Inc.
    Multi-Navigation Templates and Menus
    http://www.decloak.com/Products/Dreamweaver/NestedTemplates/Templates.aspx

    "thinkbible" <com> wrote in message
    Mac Explorer 5. But when viewed with Explorer on Windows, pages are not as
    designed. I understand the different platform issues (72 vs 75 dpi screen
    resolution), different "button" sizes, etc. etc. However, I'm having real
    issues with tables "ing out", unexplained extra table depth, etc.

    dc Guest

  15. #15

    dc:

    What does nested templates have to do with the issue of poor table
    structure, though?

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources

    "dc" <com> wrote in message
    news:bh3jdm$nh1$macromedia.com... [/ref]
    with

    >[/ref]

    Murray Guest