Professional Web Applications Themes

fsck on sco 5.0.5 open server. where is it? - SCO

hi Bela, Thanks to your prompt reply to my post this morning. I've tried your suggestion as follows: OPTION 1: Boot and answered no to "root filesstem is dirty, OK to check it?". There was no shell prompt to write the next command; fsck -o full /dev/root; on so instead i just went ahead and type the command on the blank line. I dont know if it was just coincidence or i did it right, the hard disk's LED flickered continuously but no activities appearing on the monitor. 20minutes after, the LED activity seemed to be not right as it ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: fsck on sco 5.0.5 open server. where is it?

    hi Bela,

    Thanks to your prompt reply to my post this morning.

    I've tried your suggestion as follows:

    OPTION 1:

    Boot and answered no to "root filesstem is dirty, OK to check it?".
    There was no shell prompt to write the next command; fsck -o full
    /dev/root; on so instead i just went ahead and type the command on the
    blank line.

    I dont know if it was just coincidence or i did it right, the hard
    disk's LED flickered continuously but no activities appearing on
    the monitor.

    20minutes after, the LED activity seemed to be not right as it just
    flickered on and on and in constant interval as if a microsoft windows
    scans a hd bad sector.

    Is this normal? how long normally an fsck lasts witha 40GB hd.

    OPTION 3:

    Using the floppy, i was able to do the mknod /dev/hd0root b 1 42, mount
    -r /dev/hd0root /mnt but failed with the chroot /mnt /bin/sh with an
    error of bad address.

    I did, cd /mnt/bin, echo * and showed STTY]...chmode, chroot cp...

    I tried the rest of the commands such as the cp, fdisk, vi, cat by
    calling them as is or by entering /mnt/bin/chroot but also resulted with
    the same error message.

    I deeply appreciate your help.

    Best regards,

    Rommel P. Pastrana

    Originally posted by Bela Lubkin

    romppast Guest

  2. #2

    Rommel P. Pastrana wrote:
    > I've tried your suggestion as follows:
    >
    > OPTION 1:
    >
    > Boot and answered no to "root filesstem is dirty, OK to check it?".
    > There was no shell prompt to write the next command; fsck -o full
    > /dev/root; on so instead i just went ahead and type the command on the
    > blank line.
    Normally, after answering "no" to that question, you would get a prompt
    asking you to type the root password to go into single-user mode, or ^D
    to go multi-user. You would have entered the root password, gotten a
    shell prompt, then run the fsck.

    I suppose it is _possible_ that you did actually get to a shell prompt
    that wasn't displaying (for some strange reason). One thing you can do
    to see if you're at a shell prompt is type "echo ^G" (control-G). It
    may beep when you hit ^G; it may beep when you hit return and it acts on
    the command. If it beeps when you hit return, you are definitely at
    some sort of shell prompt. If it doesn't beep, the test is inconclusive
    (the bell character might have disappeared for the same reason the rest
    of the shell output is invisible).
    > I dont know if it was just coincidence or i did it right, the hard
    > disk's LED flickered continuously but no activities appearing on
    > the monitor.
    >
    > 20minutes after, the LED activity seemed to be not right as it just
    > flickered on and on and in constant interval as if a microsoft windows
    > scans a hd bad sector.
    >
    > Is this normal? how long normally an fsck lasts witha 40GB hd.
    That actually sounds like a reasonable description of disk light
    activity during an `fsck -o full`. fsck has various phases it goes
    through, which look different. Of course the whole thing should end
    eventually. Total time depends on a bunch of factors -- speed of the
    hard disk (mostly seek speed), number of files, amount of space that's
    in use, etc. A full 40GB drive would probably take a long time, 20
    minutes does not sound out of range.

    You didn't say how this ended -- did you hit RESET after deciding it
    must be hung? Maybe try it again, but let it run longer -- go to
    lunch...
    > OPTION 3:
    >
    > Using the floppy, i was able to do the mknod /dev/hd0root b 1 42, mount
    > -r /dev/hd0root /mnt but failed with the chroot /mnt /bin/sh with an
    > error of bad address.
    Please give exact output when you report an error message. In fact,
    it's best if you show the command and result as accurately as possible,
    something like:

    The chroot failed like this:

    # chroot /mnt /bin/sh
    Bad address
    > I did, cd /mnt/bin, echo * and showed STTY]...chmode, chroot cp...
    >
    > I tried the rest of the commands such as the cp, fdisk, vi, cat by
    > calling them as is or by entering /mnt/bin/chroot but also resulted with
    > the same error message.
    I'm not sure what to make of that message, don't have enough context.

    In your first message you wrote:
    > > > The bad thing is, i bought the server second hand without installer
    > > > disks, boot/root floppies and manual to look up to so im just
    > > > relying on the internet in finding cure to this problem.
    It begins to seem like the system you bought was sick in the first
    place, somehow improperly installed. I can't think of what would cause
    the symptoms you describe. It is probably repairable, but repair will
    be very difficult when every step has to be discussed over several days
    on USENET.
    >Bela<
    Bela Lubkin Guest

  3. #3

    In article <20030702075039.GH24551sco.com>,
    Bela Lubkin <belalsco.com> wrote:
    >Rommel P. Pastrana wrote:
    >
    >> I've tried your suggestion as follows:
    >>
    >> OPTION 1:
    >> Boot and answered no to "root filesstem is dirty, OK to check it?".
    >> There was no shell prompt to write the next command; fsck -o full
    >> /dev/root; on so instead i just went ahead and type the command on the
    >> blank line.
    >
    >Normally, after answering "no" to that question, you would get a prompt
    >asking you to type the root password to go into single-user mode, or ^D
    >to go multi-user. You would have entered the root password, gotten a
    >shell prompt, then run the fsck.
    >I suppose it is _possible_ that you did actually get to a shell prompt
    >that wasn't displaying (for some strange reason). One thing you can do
    >to see if you're at a shell prompt is type "echo ^G" (control-G). It
    >may beep when you hit ^G; it may beep when you hit return and it acts on
    >the command. If it beeps when you hit return, you are definitely at
    >some sort of shell prompt. If it doesn't beep, the test is inconclusive
    >(the bell character might have disappeared for the same reason the rest
    >of the shell output is invisible).
    >> I dont know if it was just coincidence or i did it right, the hard
    >> disk's LED flickered continuously but no activities appearing on
    >> the monitor.
    >> 20minutes after, the LED activity seemed to be not right as it just
    >> flickered on and on and in constant interval as if a microsoft windows
    >> scans a hd bad sector.
    >> Is this normal? how long normally an fsck lasts witha 40GB hd.
    >That actually sounds like a reasonable description of disk light
    >activity during an `fsck -o full`. fsck has various phases it goes
    >through, which look different. Of course the whole thing should end
    >eventually.
    But if he can't see it he won't know when it ends.

    Maybe he should try entering the fsck -ofull as

    fsck -ofull; /etc/shutdown -g0 -y -i<n> with n
    being 0 for shutdown, 1 for single user, or 6 for reboot.

    Then do something else for an hour or two.

    Does that sound like a reasonable approach for an unreadable
    screen? Perhaps checking the video options in the BIOS might be
    good too. Not all BIOS support that but I made one workable - but
    a bit slow until I got done but setting the video to VGA.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion Guest

  4. #4

    Bill Vermillion wrote (on Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 01:27:30AM +0000):
    > In article <20030702075039.GH24551sco.com>,
    > Bela Lubkin <belalsco.com> wrote:
    > >Rommel P. Pastrana wrote:
    > >
    > >> I've tried your suggestion as follows:
    > >>
    > >> OPTION 1:
    >
    > >> Boot and answered no to "root filesstem is dirty, OK to check it?".
    > >> There was no shell prompt to write the next command; fsck -o full
    > >> /dev/root; on so instead i just went ahead and type the command on the
    > >> blank line.
    > >
    > >Normally, after answering "no" to that question, you would get a prompt
    > >asking you to type the root password to go into single-user mode, or ^D
    > >to go multi-user. You would have entered the root password, gotten a
    > >shell prompt, then run the fsck.
    >
    > >I suppose it is _possible_ that you did actually get to a shell prompt
    > >that wasn't displaying (for some strange reason). One thing you can do
    > >to see if you're at a shell prompt is type "echo ^G" (control-G). It
    > >may beep when you hit ^G; it may beep when you hit return and it acts on
    > >the command. If it beeps when you hit return, you are definitely at
    > >some sort of shell prompt. If it doesn't beep, the test is inconclusive
    > >(the bell character might have disappeared for the same reason the rest
    > >of the shell output is invisible).
    >
    > >> I dont know if it was just coincidence or i did it right, the hard
    > >> disk's LED flickered continuously but no activities appearing on
    > >> the monitor.
    >
    > >> 20minutes after, the LED activity seemed to be not right as it just
    > >> flickered on and on and in constant interval as if a microsoft windows
    > >> scans a hd bad sector.
    >
    > >> Is this normal? how long normally an fsck lasts witha 40GB hd.
    >
    > >That actually sounds like a reasonable description of disk light
    > >activity during an `fsck -o full`. fsck has various phases it goes
    > >through, which look different. Of course the whole thing should end
    > >eventually.
    >
    > But if he can't see it he won't know when it ends.
    >
    > Maybe he should try entering the fsck -ofull as
    >
    > fsck -ofull; /etc/shutdown -g0 -y -i<n> with n
    > being 0 for shutdown, 1 for single user, or 6 for reboot.
    >
    > Then do something else for an hour or two.
    >
    > Does that sound like a reasonable approach for an unreadable
    > screen? Perhaps checking the video options in the BIOS might be
    > good too. Not all BIOS support that but I made one workable - but
    > a bit slow until I got done but setting the video to VGA.
    Maybe he should try
    # fsck -ofull -y

    On the theory that the display is hosed, and fsck might be asking some
    questions ...

    NYZ

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, EA, LLM [email]awacsegps.com[/email]
    Attorney and Counselor-at-Law [url]http://yankel.com[/url]
    Economic Group Pension Services [url]http://egps.com[/url]
    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind Guest

  5. #5

    romppast wrote (on Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 04:46:36PM +0000):

    > Hi to all,
    >
    > This is what i did this afternoon in the same order:
    >
    > 1. fsck -ofull; /etc/shutdown -g0 -y -i
    > _
    >
    > result: just a cursor appeared following the command, ^G produces beep,
    > pressing enter causes the text to go up by 1 line, ^D no beep, HD led is
    > not flickering, seemed like no activity.
    >

    > 2. fsck -ofull -y
    >
    > result: same as above; 1.
    >

    > 3. Via Floppy
    >
    > #mknod /dev/hd0root b 1 42
    > #mount -r /dev/hd0root /mnt
    > #chroot /mnt /bin/sh
    > chroot:not found
    > #fsck -ofull /dev/hd0root
    > fsck:not found
    >
    > 4. fsck -ofull; /etc/shutdown -g0 -y -i
    > _
    >
    > result: tomorrow morning; 8 hours after.
    >

    > If the 4th move fails, will an emergency boot/root floppy; with an fsck;
    > helps? Are there users in here; or sites that you know; who are willing
    > to share a root file system taken from an SCO5.0.5. I will be willing to
    > pay for it as long as it wont be that much, you know :). But if you guys
    > believe that that wont work either then that will be it, case close,
    > good bye, sayonara, asta lavista SCO 5.0.5.
    >
    > Again, thank you so much Bela, Bill and Nachman for sharing your
    > thoughts and i wish i could return the favor someday.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Rommel P. Pastrana

    Does it violate my SCO/Microlite license agreements to share my RecoverEdge
    media? If not, I'd be happy to email you images (you put them on floppies with
    rawrite.exe, a program you can d/l). From 5.0.6, and, no, I have no idea if
    they can help (different hardware, etc.) But you *can* break out to a shell
    prompt with them, AFAIK, and the environment there is more friendly ...

  6. #6

    Correction, i should have written the follwing with test 3 (via floppy);

    Boot with floppy then press F8 when install media is being asked.

    Then,

    <installation>mknod /dev/hd0root b 1 42
    <installation>mount -r /dev/hd0root /mnt
    <installation>chroot /mnt /bin/sh
    <installation>chroot:not found
    <installation>fsck -o full /dev/hd0root
    <installation>fsck:not found

    On test 4. No result after a 10hours. Display is still:

    fsck -ofull; /etc/shutdown -g0 -y -i
    _

    Thanks Nachman, how nice of you to offer your recovery image. Yes, i
    understand about this license issues, things that are so true with
    SCO. I wish SCO will be friendly on fixes like this as i believe these
    are just some of the basic things that they have to make available on
    their site.

    I dont want to compare but I cant help to think of it.

    Thanks and more power to dbforum.

    Rommel

    romppast Guest