Professional Web Applications Themes

FTP app to move large files between hosts? - Mac Networking

In article <1fyikg9.nu30n7koblmeN%twixter3030nospamhotmail.c om>, [email]twixter3030nospamhotmail.com[/email] (Sara Garland) wrote: > When I go on vacation I plan to help a non-technical friend move her > website to a new webhost. Her site has several large RealAudio files > (5-30 megs each) that are not archived locally, and the easiest thing > to do, I assume, is use FTP to transfer the files from one webhost to > another, yes? > > The machine I will be using is my friend's Beige G3/266 running OS 8.6. > What GUI app running under 8.6 should I look into using? (I want to > ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: FTP app to move large files between hosts?

    In article <1fyikg9.nu30n7koblmeN%twixter3030nospamhotmail.c om>,
    [email]twixter3030nospamhotmail.com[/email] (Sara Garland) wrote:
    > When I go on vacation I plan to help a non-technical friend move her
    > website to a new webhost. Her site has several large RealAudio files
    > (5-30 megs each) that are not archived locally, and the easiest thing
    > to do, I assume, is use FTP to transfer the files from one webhost to
    > another, yes?
    >
    > The machine I will be using is my friend's Beige G3/266 running OS 8.6.
    > What GUI app running under 8.6 should I look into using? (I want to
    > leave her with something she can use easily after I leave.) Is there any
    > good freeware or inexpensive shareware?

    I'm assuming that your friend will be moving the web site from one ISP's
    server to anothers, so your friend's Mac will always be a client.

    download Fetch 3.03 (try a Google search for "Fetch 3.03"). I think,
    but I'm no longer sure, but I think 3.03 was still freeware. I know
    that 4.* is shareware.

    Or look on <versiontracker.com/macos> or <http://www.macorchard.com/>
    for a Mac OS 8.6 compatible FTP client.

    Side comment. If your friend is connected to the internet via a dial-up
    modem, then transferring multi-mega bytes of files is going to be
    painful.

    One thing to consider is if one of the web hosting services allows a
    UNIX login. This is less and less common, but if one of the 2 sites
    does, then it might save a lot of time to log into that site and use the
    command line ftp command to transfer the files server to server and
    avoid going through the slow dial-up modem. Of course using a command
    line FTP utility is non-trivial, but I figured I would mention it if
    slow dial-up connections were involved.

    Good luck.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Harris Guest

  2. #2

  3. #3

    Steve W. Jackson <stevewjacksoncharter.net> wrote:
    > Bob Harris <harriszk3.dec.com> wrote:
    >
    > :> [email]twixter3030nospamhotmail.com[/email] (Sara Garland) wrote:
    > :>
    > :> > When I go on vacation I plan to help a non-technical friend move her
    > :> > website to a new webhost. Her site has several large RealAudio files
    > :> > (5-30 megs each) that are not archived locally, and the easiest thing
    > :> > to do, I assume, is use FTP to transfer the files from one webhost to
    > :> > another, yes?
    -snip-
    > :> Side comment. If your friend is connected to the internet via a dial-up
    > :> modem, then transferring multi-mega bytes of files is going to be
    > :> painful.
    That depends entirely on what the client does -- if it was done
    properly, there's no reason why it should matter.
    > :> One thing to consider is if one of the web hosting services allows a
    > :> UNIX login. This is less and less common, but if one of the 2 sites
    > :> does, then it might save a lot of time to log into that site and use the
    > :> command line ftp command to transfer the files server to server and
    > :> avoid going through the slow dial-up modem. Of course using a command
    > :> line FTP utility is non-trivial, but I figured I would mention it if
    > :> slow dial-up connections were involved.
    > :>
    -snip-
    > I disagree about the command line being non-trivial. While it's not as
    > trivial as a GUI method, it's easy. And since so few GUI clients will
    > allow server-to-server transfers, it is indeed the best bet if either
    > hosting service has Unix shell access.
    Yes, but if the GUI client supports that, it's /much/ faster (both in
    terms of transfer speed and user interaction) to do it that way.
    > I think Interarchy (formerly Anarchie) allows these transfers, though.
    I don't know if it's been implemented, but I do that developers of both
    Fetch and Interarchy/Anarachie have received request to allow drag and
    drop between ftp server windows (and not just when the windows access
    the same server, the request is to be able to drag from one remote host
    to another).

    But like I said -- I don't know if it's been implemented (if it has,
    I'd appreciate hearing about it, I'd be willing to upgrade/register in
    order to have that feature, right now I'm doing it via telnet and/or
    perl scripts).

    --
    J.B. Moreno
    J.B. Moreno Guest

  4. #4

    Steve W. Jackson <stevewjacksoncharter.net> wrote:
    > Bob Harris <harriszk3.dec.com> wrote:
    >
    > :> [email]twixter3030nospamhotmail.com[/email] (Sara Garland) wrote:
    > :>
    > :> > When I go on vacation I plan to help a non-technical friend move her
    > :> > website to a new webhost. Her site has several large RealAudio files
    > :> > (5-30 megs each) that are not archived locally, and the easiest thing
    > :> > to do, I assume, is use FTP to transfer the files from one webhost to
    > :> > another, yes?
    -snip-