    Removed by Administrator
    ted@loft.tnolan.com Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. #3

    Default Re: FTP connected ... but ...

    Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:

    Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.8 Generic Patch December 2002
    $ ftp -p 193.195.77.150
    ftp: p: unknown option
    $ ftp
    ftp> passive
    ?Invalid command
    ftp>

    No luck with that Ted... thanks anyway.

    JohnK
    JohnK Guest

  4. #4

    In article <net>,
    JohnK <com> wrote:

    >Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.8 Generic Patch December 2002
    >$ ftp -p 193.195.77.150
    >ftp: p: unknown option
    >$ ftp
    >ftp> passive
    >?Invalid command
    >ftp>
    >
    >No luck with that Ted... thanks anyway.
    >
    >JohnK[/ref]

    Ok, you're on a Sun, and Sun's FTP client dates back to when petroleum
    was on the hoof..

    You can try this then. If you have a web browser like netscape7
    (probably firefox or mozilla as well, but I just checked netscape7)
    on your Sun, it will do passive FTP for you. Use a URL like

    ftp://userid:anywhere.com/

    So, if you need to get file from subdir1 on machine somebox.example.com
    and the user name is fooby with password quiix, use the URL

    ftp://quiix:example.com/subdir1

    and see what happens. With luck you will get a directory listing
    that you can click to download files.

    (You could also install a modern FTP client).

    Ted
    ted@loft.tnolan.com Guest

  5. #5

    Just to follow up my own response, when you use an FTP URL

    ftp://userid:anywhere.com/some_path

    if it's an anonymous FTP site, you can leave off the "userid:password" like

    ftp://ftp.anywhere.com/some_path

    Ted
    ted@loft.tnolan.com Guest

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    base60 Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Barry Guest
    Moderated Post

  8. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Barry Guest
    Moderated Post

  9. #9

    base60 wrote:

    So would there not need to be a specific firewall entry for this FTP
    server that was in some way broken, in light of the fact that I can
    connect fine to other sites like ftp.sun.com?

    In any case I have already asked our firewall dept to rouse themselves
    and look at that very issue as well asking here.

    I am on a corporate network and my own IP is a 10.xx.xx.xx address. I
    would have thought this would be NATed and so wouldn't be a problem but
    if the FTP server had a specific 10.xx.xx.xx static route (say for a
    management LAN or backup LAN) then could this be causing my packets to
    go astray?

    JohnK
    JohnK Guest

  10. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    base60 Guest
    Moderated Post

  11. #11

    JohnK wrote:

    > So would there not need to be a specific firewall entry for this FTP
    > server that was in some way broken, in light of the fact that I can
    > connect fine to other sites like ftp.sun.com?[/ref]

    Firewalls are used to filter traffic and produce lots of strange
    and wonderful effects.

    > I am on a corporate network and my own IP is a 10.xx.xx.xx address. I
    > would have thought this would be NATed and so wouldn't be a problem but
    > if the FTP server had a specific 10.xx.xx.xx static route (say for a
    > management LAN or backup LAN) then could this be causing my packets to
    > go astray?[/ref]

    As indicated to my response to Barry, this is speculation that seemed
    to fit what you were seeing.

    You probably should do a snoop on the ftp server to see if you're
    getting a connection and go from there.
    base60 Guest

  12. #12

    In article <XicZe.70219$southeast.rr.com>,
    base60 <com> wrote:

    > > No it doesn't. If it were a routing problem, he'd never get connected
    > > in the first place.[/ref]
    >
    > Let me be more precise: A routing problem on the system to which he
    > is trying to ftp -- not the originating system.
    >
    > If that were the case, I believe he would get a connection, but not
    > receive any indication of the connection... and a snoop on the ftp
    > server would show the connection.[/ref]

    How? In order to get a connection, you have to receive a SYN-ACK in
    response to the SYN you send out. If the server doesn't have a route
    back to you, you'll never get the SYN-ACK.

    However, if there's a proxy firewall involved, the problem could be that
    the firewall accepts the connection immediately, then tries to connect
    to the real server before passing the greeting message through. If
    there's a routing problem between the firewall and the server, you will
    see this symptom.

    --
    Barry Margolin, mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  13. #13

    Barry Margolin wrote:

    >>Let me be more precise: A routing problem on the system to which he
    >>is trying to ftp -- not the originating system.
    >>
    >>If that were the case, I believe he would get a connection, but not
    >>receive any indication of the connection... and a snoop on the ftp
    >>server would show the connection.[/ref]
    >

    > How? In order to get a connection, you have to receive a SYN-ACK in
    > response to the SYN you send out. If the server doesn't have a route
    > back to you, you'll never get the SYN-ACK.[/ref]

    Semantics, issue possibly...

    Agreed, the connection would never be *complete*, because the syn-ack
    would never be received.

    But, the ftp server would have received/responded to the syn... seems
    like this would result in a "hang" on the sending side. Correct?

    Packages like portsentry can and are configured to automatically
    create null/reject/blackhole routes.

    Correct... and as I originally noted: "Sounds like a firewall"

    base60 Guest

  14. #14

    In article <02fZe.70316$southeast.rr.com>,
    base60 <com> wrote:

    > > How? In order to get a connection, you have to receive a SYN-ACK in
    > > response to the SYN you send out. If the server doesn't have a route
    > > back to you, you'll never get the SYN-ACK.[/ref]
    >
    > Semantics, issue possibly...
    >
    > Agreed, the connection would never be *complete*, because the syn-ack
    > would never be received.
    >
    > But, the ftp server would have received/responded to the syn... seems
    > like this would result in a "hang" on the sending side. Correct?[/ref]

    Correct. It would hang *before* saying "Connected". The OP said that
    he gets that message and *then* it hangs.

    --
    Barry Margolin, mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  15. #15

    Barry Margolin wrote:

    >>Semantics, issue possibly...
    >>
    >>Agreed, the connection would never be *complete*, because the syn-ack
    >>would never be received.
    >>
    >>But, the ftp server would have received/responded to the syn... seems
    >>like this would result in a "hang" on the sending side. Correct?[/ref]
    >

    > Correct. It would hang *before* saying "Connected". The OP said that
    > he gets that message and *then* it hangs.[/ref]

    Yes, I read that... but I've not examined the ftp client code to know
    where in the process it is issued, and users often confuse where they
    saw a particular message... so I thought a route issue worth ruling out.

    base60 Guest

  16. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    JohnK Guest
    Moderated Post

  17. #17

    JohnK wrote:

    > Well I'm not offended by the suggestion that I might be confused,[/ref]

    No offense intended.

    And anyone who states that he isn't occasionally confused by the
    outcome of computers/networking/etc. is probably not being
    forthcoming :-)

    Since I'm curious, at this point, I set up some various route
    combinations and they do not produce the described situation
    using linux -> [linux|solaris|aix]

    So, probably a firewall... having the ftp server admin snoop
    the connection would tell you a lot.
    base60 Guest

  18. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator