Professional Web Applications Themes

FTP error - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Hello out there. I'm having trouble uploading my local site to my remote site. Everything else works fine but that. I can log onto the server, IP address works fine, passwords and what not and My root folder containting the site seem like it's intact. This is the error code I get after I connect to the remote server and try to "put" the files to the main remote folder. < An FTP error occured - cannot put index.html.550 index.html: permission denied. > this code pops up when I "put" any ( .html and/or .jpg etc. ) file to the ...

  1. #1

    Default FTP error

    Hello out there. I'm having trouble uploading my local site to my remote site. Everything else works fine but that. I can log onto the server, IP address works fine, passwords and what not and My root folder containting the site seem like it's intact. This is the error code I get after I connect to the remote server and try to "put" the files to the main remote folder.

    < An FTP error occured - cannot put index.html.550 index.html: permission denied. >
    this code pops up when I "put" any ( .html and/or .jpg etc. ) file to the remote server.

    ....and here is another error code I get after the site is connecting.

    < Dreamweaver cannot determine the remote server time. The select Newer & Syncronize command will not be available. >

    I don't know if that last code is relevant but it keeps popping up and it's annoying. :) I appreciate any help greatly. Thank you,

    ~Dubweiser~

    Dubweiser webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: FTP error

    when you connect to site- what do you see in the Remote side of the site
    manager window?

    what's the list of folders there?

    also- check your host's FAQ pages- many will have a short section on FTP.
    If they have a page- it will give the correct folder path that your files
    need to go into.

    On the server time- That's related.
    When dreamweaver connects- it writes a temp file to server, then retrieves
    it to see the timestamp. If it fails to create or find the temp file- it
    gives that message.

    In short- you don't have write permission in the folder you're currently
    in. You need to go to the correct subfolder that's showing in the remote
    window- often named sumthing like public_html or www or web or httdocs or
    similar.

    OR_ you need to go UP the directory tree to a higher folder.
    If it's a Raq host- try putting this in the "host directory" line of remote
    ftp info, site definition.
    .../../web/

    but best is to check with host's FAQ.
    Certified Dreamweaver MX Developer

    Alan Ames Guest

  3. #3

    when you connect to site- what do you see in the Remote side of the site
    manager window?

    the very first folder which contains all the other is just a forward slash ( / )

    what's the list of folders there?

    under that folder there are a list of others... anon_ftp , bin , cert , cgi-bin , conf , error_docs , ftpstat , httpdocs , httpsdocs , logs , pd , web_users , webstat , webstat-ssl.
    I assume those are all the options that the server provides. I was attempting to "put" the files into the first ( / ) folder.

    In short- you don't have write permission in the folder you're currently
    in. You need to go to the correct subfolder that's showing in the remote
    window- often named sumthing like public_html or www or web or httdocs or
    similar.

    ???

    OR_ you need to go UP the directory tree to a higher folder.
    If it's a Raq host- try putting this in the "host directory" line of remote
    ftp info, site definition.
    .../../web/

    i tried that and it didn't work. Just " / " in the host directory works fine.

    Can you help any further w/ that info? THank you so much.

  4. #4

    > under that folder there are a list of others... anon_ftp , bin , cert ,
    > cgi-bin , conf , error_docs , ftpstat , httpdocs , httpsdocs , logs , pd ,
    > web_users , webstat , webstat-ssl.
    > I assume those are all the options that the server provides. I was attempting
    > to "put" the files into the first ( / ) folder.
    that's a standard linux shared hosting setup. (you probably use a Plesk
    control panel)

    the folder names are self-explanatory, but in geek-speak.

    In your site def, advanced tab, remote info page-
    put this in the "host directory" line:

    httpdocs

    that will connect you to proper directory for your regular site files.

    For using the other directories- use a different ftp client, or make
    multiple site definitions in dw (to put in cgi-bin scripts or put in
    httpsdocs for SSL secure pages)

    For example- to have a custom file not found 404 error page-
    create a new doc- with ONLY full [url]http://yourdomain.com[/url] links and paths. Name
    it 404.html and put it in the "errors" folder. to test, just type in an
    address within your site that doesn't exist.

  5. #5

    Thanks guys for all your help. I contacted my server host (entryhost.com) and they had to do some settings in order get the remote site up and running w/ my local site. I'll try it again in 24 - 48 hours and if it still gives me problems i'll try those things you recommended. Thanks again.

  6. #6

    your testing server may not be configured, but your remote info is,
    in your site definition. hence the seemingly contradictory experience
    is not necessarily so.

    check site def

    jason

    "kevs" <kevsadelphia.net> wrote in message
    > In trying to preview a page, I'm getting the error " FTP error occurred,
    > cannot make connection to host.
    > I have my firewall disabled, and my connection to Internet explorer is
    > working fine.
    >
    > Then I went to Remote info and did the test and connected to web server
    > successfully!
    >
    > I restarted computer, connected to my website successfully, and then tried
    > to preview a page and got the "FTP error occurred" message, even while I
    was
    > connected to my site!
    >
    > Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

    jason kennedy Guest

  7. #7

    On 7/19/03 3:03 PM, in article bfcf8t$sc8$1forums.macromedia.com, "jason
    kennedy" <jasonpinhut.com> wrote:
    > your testing server may not be configured, but your remote info is,
    > in your site definition. hence the seemingly contradictory experience
    > is not necessarily so.
    >
    > check site def
    >
    > jason
    >
    > "kevs" <kevsadelphia.net> wrote in message
    >> In trying to preview a page, I'm getting the error " FTP error occurred,
    >> cannot make connection to host.
    >> I have my firewall disabled, and my connection to Internet explorer is
    >> working fine.
    >>
    >> Then I went to Remote info and did the test and connected to web server
    >> successfully!
    >>
    >> I restarted computer, connected to my website successfully, and then tried
    >> to preview a page and got the "FTP error occurred" message, even while I
    > was
    >> connected to my site!
    >>
    >> Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

    Jason:
    Thanks had a very hard time understanding your response, but went back to
    site definitions and solved the problem. Preview is now working great
    except for the new page I just made. On a light tan background is a large
    graphic with image map. The background comes up but not the graphic.
    Any ideas appreciated. Thanks!

    kevs Guest

  8. #8

    Hi
    Does anyone know how to fix the ftp error "cannot connect to host"?
    Has been working fone for months and suddenly stopped.
    I dont have a firewall (that I know of) but there could be one in my
    router(?)

    Any help would be great - i am getting stressed!
    lol..

    Thanks

    soul_search@btinternet.com Guest