Professional Web Applications Themes

FTP OS X Panther behind airport base station - Mac Networking

Hi I am having trouble with FTP on Panther behind an airport base station, I have included below a thread I had in another news group, which details the problem and checks I have made so far that people have suggested, one of the suggestions was to post to this news group, in case someone could give me a clearer idea. Thanks Stewart On 11/2/04 3:11 am, in article microsoft.com, "Adam Bailey" <org> wrote:  [/ref] I am trying to et up an ftp server using Panther, to help transfer files between our two small offices. The set up as is: ...

  1. #1

    Default FTP OS X Panther behind airport base station

    <org> wrote:
     [/ref]

    I am trying to et up an ftp server using Panther, to help transfer files
    between our two small offices.

    The set up as is:

    DSL cable modem
    Airport base station, running on Ibook OS 9.2
    G4 running OS X 10.3.2 connect via Airport card to the internet (this is to
    be the the ftp server)

    I have started FTP services on the G4, added the user, set up a dynamic DNS
    at www.no-ip.com as I obviously have the usual internal network Ip address
    (10.0.1.4 etc) and I have changed the port mapping on the Ibook, to
    redirect.

    When I try to connect it takes an age, but eventually it asks for username
    and password, I enter these, but after a while again it informs me these
    details are incorrect.

    I have checked and double checked that what I enter is the username as
    given, and also added the user to the Ibook just incase that was where the
    stumbling block was.

    I have also run a ping test on the domain and that comes back fine.

    I have searched and searched but there doesn't seem to be a step by step
    guide for setting this type of ftp server up...only doing it without the
    router/bas station.

    So to be honest I'm at a bit of a loss, any help would be gratefully
    received!

    Regards Stewart

    > Connected to localhost.
    > 220 localhost FTP server (lukemftpd 1.1) ready.
    > Name (localhost:adamb):
    >
    > Do you get this with 'ftp localhost'? Do you get this when FTPing from
    > a remote location? What FTP program are you using?
    >
    > Remember that unix passwords are case-sensitive. Make sure you're
    > using the same case you set up in your account.
    >
    > If all that checks out, I recommend posting to comp.sys.mac.comm. You
    > may find better advice there.[/ref]

    Hi Adam

    Thanks for that, I ran the terminal window and got the response just as you
    wrote, so I guess it is set up ok.

    I then tried typing in my dynamic DNS (e.g something.noip.com) in to the
    terminal window

    ftp something.noip.com

    And I get prompted for a password straight away....no username, assume it is
    using the one I log in as?...but when I enter my password (checking caps
    etc...good point, had forgotten UNIX was case sensitive, not important in
    this case, but good to keep it fresh in my mind!!....I get

    530 Login incorrect.
    ftp: Login failed.
    ftp>

    It is almost like, admin user on my machine doesn't have FTP
    permissions...although everything I have read indicates a local user will
    get these permissions once set up?

    I shall try posting to the group you suggested, anything else you might
    think of please let me know and thanks for taking the time.

    Cheers

    Stewart

    Stewart Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: FTP OS X Panther behind airport base station

    On 2004-02-13 06:24:55 -0600, Stewart <com> said:

    This is not the normal behavior you'd expect from an ftp server.

    I do not have an AirPort base station but in order to do what you're
    trying to do you're going to have to tell the AirPort base station to
    forward all requests on port 21 (ftp's control port) to the G4 box with
    it's IP address on the 10.x.x.x subnet. If you haven't done that, then
    there's no way for the AirPort to know which machine is supposed to get
    the requests - the iBook or the G4.

    Without an AirPort myself I can only guess that what you need to do is
    to check and see if the requests aren't going to the iBook by default,
    and if so, how to configure the AirPort to forward port 21 to the G4's
    IP address.

    All "broadband routers" (LinkSys, D-Link, Belkin, etc.) have this
    configurable on their boxes. If the AirPort can't do port forwarding
    then you'll have to get a broadband router for about $50. You can then
    hook up the AirPort base station to the broadband router and then
    configure the router to forward the requests to port 21 to the G4.

    Hope this helps.
    --

    Thanks,
    Bob (com)

    Bob Guest

  3. #3

    In article <2004021312233016807%drbobTheManFromSPUDcom>, Bob Beaty
    <com> wrote:

    It can.

    --
    Adam Bailey | Chicago, Illinois
    org | Finger/Web for PGP & S/MIME

  4. #4

    In article <BC527297.48D%com>, Stewart <com> wrote:

    ok

    ok

    don't understand "port mapping on the iBook"

    don't understand "to redirect"

    For whatever it is worth one of the things I do to set up a ftp server
    through an Airport Base Station is to use the Airport Admin Utility to
    map ports 21 (FTP Control) and 22 (FTP Data) *in* the Airport Base
    Station to the desired private IP address.

    Cheers,

    Darrell

    --
    To reply, substitute .net for .invalid in address, i.e., darrell.usenet2 (at)
    telus.net

  5. #5

    In article <140220041649102041%invalid>,
    Darrell Greenwood <invalid> wrote:

    > ok

    > ok

    > don't understand "port mapping on the iBook"

    > don't understand "to redirect"
    >
    > For whatever it is worth one of the things I do to set up a ftp server
    > through an Airport Base Station is to use the Airport Admin Utility to
    > map ports 21 (FTP Control) and 22 (FTP Data) *in* the Airport Base
    > Station to the desired private IP address.[/ref]

    Which should be a static, rather than dynamic, address.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Guest

  6. #6

    In article <140220041649102041%invalid>, Darrell
    Greenwood <invalid> wrote:

    Pardon me, 20 is the FTP Data port.

    Cheers,

    Darrell

  7. #7

    Thanks for everyone's input, sorry if some of the terminology I use is
    incorrect.

    I have set the airport base station utility to do port mapping of 21 and 20
    to the G4.

    Now I'm not being asked for login details I just get an error message
    saying:

    FTP error 550
    Can't connect to server.

    I can't test the set up from an outside connection, so I don't know whether
    it is because I am trying to connect to the same computer I using?

    Does anyone know of an online guide to setting up an FTP server through an
    airport base station.

    Feel like I need to start again, everything I think of checking has already
    been checked and it all seems fine.

    Someone did suggest that the port mapping in the airport base station
    software might not be good enough to cope, is this likely?

    Thanks

    Regards

    Stewart

    On 15/2/04 11:01 pm, in article
    150220041501523262%invalid, "Darrell Greenwood"
    <invalid> wrote:

    > Pardon me, 20 is the FTP Data port.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Darrell[/ref]

    Stewart Guest

  8. #8

    Stewart <com> wrote:

    How *exactly* are you trying to connect?

    The port mapping should be sufficient.

  9. #9

    Hi Adam

    Well, I'm trying using an FTP client (Transit and Go Live).

    It works still if I try.

    Ftp localhost

    In the terminal window

    But if I try ftp test45.serveftp.com (the alias I set up with noip)

    It just hangs and gives me a connection timed out.

    And if I try localhost in the transit that works fine.

    It is the "outside" connection when it falls apart I think.

    On 18/2/04 3:54 pm, in article xnet.com, "Adam
    Bailey" <org> wrote:

    > How *exactly* are you trying to connect?

    > The port mapping should be sufficient.[/ref]

    Stewart Guest

  10. #10

    In article <BC594560.1BD9%com>, Stewart <com> wrote:

    From where are you testing the outside connection?

    When I test my outside connection I use a separate distant account at
    nyx.net. i.e., you need an "outside" ftp client in order to test.

    e.g., I map my ftp server ports 20/21 from a "inside" private address
    (say 10.0.1.2) to a "outside" public address such as x.dyndns.org
    (say 216.232.1.2).

    To test the ftp server from a computer on my private network with an ip
    address of 10.0.1.3 I would use the 10.0.1.2 address. ftp://10.0.1.2

    To test the ftp server from an outside address I would need to test
    from nyx.net to the 216.232.1.2 address. ftp://216.232.1.2

    Put another way a ftp client on my local ip address of 10.0.1.3 cannot
    see the ftp server on the 216.232.1.2 address.

    Cheers,

    Darrell

  11. #11

    Thanks Darrell,

    I wasn't at all sure, but it sort of made sense that it wouldn't be able to
    see the external ftp address from the internal network.

    I shall try and work out a way of testing from "outside" the network.

    Thanks for your help

    Regards

    Stewart

    On 18/2/04 6:31 pm, in article
    180220041031203996%invalid, "Darrell Greenwood"
    <invalid> wrote:

    > From where are you testing the outside connection?
    >
    > When I test my outside connection I use a separate distant account at
    > nyx.net. i.e., you need an "outside" ftp client in order to test.
    >
    > e.g., I map my ftp server ports 20/21 from a "inside" private address
    > (say 10.0.1.2) to a "outside" public address such as x.dyndns.org
    > (say 216.232.1.2).
    >
    > To test the ftp server from a computer on my private network with an ip
    > address of 10.0.1.3 I would use the 10.0.1.2 address. ftp://10.0.1.2
    >
    > To test the ftp server from an outside address I would need to test
    > from nyx.net to the 216.232.1.2 address. ftp://216.232.1.2
    >
    > Put another way a ftp client on my local ip address of 10.0.1.3 cannot
    > see the ftp server on the 216.232.1.2 address.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Darrell[/ref]

    Stewart Guest

  12. #12

    Default Re: FTP OS X Panther behind airport base station...foolish error??

    Well I tested from "outside" the network and it still didn't work.

    But I have discovered that I may have been getting very wrong (sorry!)

    In the beginning I was a bit lost as to what my current IP address was. So
    after a quick google search I found loads of handy websites that will tell
    you your current Ip. Great I thought!

    So working on an assumption that my base station will be displaying the same
    Ip for my network to the outside world. I ran this check on the G4 (ftp
    server) and promptly set everything up using that ( 80.x.x.24) address.

    It occurred to me today to check this on the base station, low and behold
    this was different, to my original IP. Then I realised that all these
    websites were showing different Ip addresses for my machine!!

    I know this is a real novice question, but can someone please tell me how to
    find the single IP address that will connect to my base station.

    Once again, thanks for all your help and comments!

    Stewart

    On 19/2/04 9:56 am, in article BC5A38E7.1C7B%com, "Stewart"
    <com> wrote:

    >> From where are you testing the outside connection?
    >>
    >> When I test my outside connection I use a separate distant account at
    >> nyx.net. i.e., you need an "outside" ftp client in order to test.
    >>
    >> e.g., I map my ftp server ports 20/21 from a "inside" private address
    >> (say 10.0.1.2) to a "outside" public address such as x.dyndns.org
    >> (say 216.232.1.2).
    >>
    >> To test the ftp server from a computer on my private network with an ip
    >> address of 10.0.1.3 I would use the 10.0.1.2 address. ftp://10.0.1.2
    >>
    >> To test the ftp server from an outside address I would need to test
    >> from nyx.net to the 216.232.1.2 address. ftp://216.232.1.2
    >>
    >> Put another way a ftp client on my local ip address of 10.0.1.3 cannot
    >> see the ftp server on the 216.232.1.2 address.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Darrell[/ref]
    >[/ref]

    Stewart Guest

  13. #13

    In article <BC5B99CF.1E02%com>, Stewart <com>
    wrote:

    If you mean every check you made returned yet another different IP
    address, then I would wonder that maybe your ISP has you behind its own
    firewall/NAT server and that being an ISP, they may have multiple IP
    addresses presented to the world, so that each time you attempted to
    check your IP address, you got a different ISP server performing the
    service.

    By the way, I have used http://whatismyip.com/ and it has worked
    reliably for my home system sitting behind a WiFi Base station/router
    connected to a Verizon DSL line.

    I also use a http://no-ip.com dynamic DNS name and a no-ip.com client
    to keep my dynamic DNS name updated.

    But this is only going to work if your ISP gives your router a real
    visible to the outside world IP address. If your ISP is putting yet
    another layer of private IP addresses between you and the outside world,
    then I'm not sure you can do what you want to do.

    You might try reading some of the matrial at http://no-ip.com and at
    http://dyndns.org which might have suggestions for how to deal with the
    you find yourself in.

    Bob Harris

    > >[/ref]
    >[/ref]
    Bob Guest

  14. #14

    Thanks for that Bob, your comments seem to make a lot of sense to me, I'll
    get on to my Isp and confirm that is the case.

    Thanks

    On 20/2/04 11:55 pm, in article
    cac.cpqcorp.net, "Bob Harris"
    <dec.com> wrote:

    > If you mean every check you made returned yet another different IP
    > address, then I would wonder that maybe your ISP has you behind its own
    > firewall/NAT server and that being an ISP, they may have multiple IP
    > addresses presented to the world, so that each time you attempted to
    > check your IP address, you got a different ISP server performing the
    > service.
    >
    > By the way, I have used http://whatismyip.com/ and it has worked
    > reliably for my home system sitting behind a WiFi Base station/router
    > connected to a Verizon DSL line.
    >
    > I also use a http://no-ip.com dynamic DNS name and a no-ip.com client
    > to keep my dynamic DNS name updated.
    >
    > But this is only going to work if your ISP gives your router a real
    > visible to the outside world IP address. If your ISP is putting yet
    > another layer of private IP addresses between you and the outside world,
    > then I'm not sure you can do what you want to do.
    >
    > You might try reading some of the matrial at http://no-ip.com and at
    > http://dyndns.org which might have suggestions for how to deal with the
    > you find yourself in.
    >
    > Bob Harris